Category Archive: Kensal Green

Sep 20

1800: London W10

This map of the 1800 countryside in the area which covers today’s London W10 postcode has been compiled by The Underground Map from various sources. As its main source, the Milne map of London shows the landuse of fields and the routes of lanes. An 1834 map of Marylebone Parish provided field names up to …

Continue reading »

Sep 06

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Portobello Road and Kensal New Town

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER NINE PORTOBELLO ROAD AND KENSAL NEW TOWN There seems to be a natural break where the railway embankment crosses Portobello Road. At this point the old lane was interrupted by low marshy ground, overgrown with rushes and water-cress, and it is said that snipe were shot …

Continue reading »

Sep 01

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: During the Eighteen Thirties

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER FOUR DURING THE EIGHTEEN THIRTIES The first encroachment on the rural character of Notting Hill was the cutting of the Paddington Branch of the Grand Junction Canal. Several artificial waterways had already been constructed among the manufacturing towns in the north of England, and the canal …

Continue reading »

Aug 31

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: In the Eighteenth Century

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER THREE IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY The commencement of the village of Kensington Gravel Pits has already been described. Under present conditions it is difficult to realize how countrified the place remained during the whole of the eighteenth century. In Kip’s Britannia Illustrata, published in 1714, there …

Continue reading »

Feb 24

Kensal Green

The first part of the name Kensal Green was recorded as Kingisholt, the king’s wood, in 1253, and the whole name in 1550. Kensal Green was for long a very remote area, straddling the Harrow Road. The place was depicted in 1599 as a broad green at the junction of Harrow Road with Kilburn Lane, …

Continue reading »