Category Archive: Kensal Town

Nov 23

London W10

W10 covers three main areas of London: North Kensington, the Queen’s Park Estate and parts of Notting Hill. The heart of London W10 is North Kensington (nowadays also known by the name of its main street, Ladbroke Grove). The Grand Union Canal is the official boundary between Kensal Green and North Kensington. The borders between …

Continue reading »

Sep 20

1800: London W10

This map of the 1800 countryside in the area which covers today’s London W10 postcode has been compiled by The Underground Map from various sources. As its main source, the Milne map of London shows the landuse of fields and the routes of lanes. An 1834 map of Marylebone Parish provided field names up to …

Continue reading »

Sep 06

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Portobello Road and Kensal New Town

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER NINE PORTOBELLO ROAD AND KENSAL NEW TOWN There seems to be a natural break where the railway embankment crosses Portobello Road. At this point the old lane was interrupted by low marshy ground, overgrown with rushes and water-cress, and it is said that snipe were shot …

Continue reading »

Sep 01

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: During the Eighteen Thirties

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER FOUR DURING THE EIGHTEEN THIRTIES The first encroachment on the rural character of Notting Hill was the cutting of the Paddington Branch of the Grand Junction Canal. Several artificial waterways had already been constructed among the manufacturing towns in the north of England, and the canal …

Continue reading »

Aug 31

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: In the Eighteenth Century

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER THREE IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY The commencement of the village of Kensington Gravel Pits has already been described. Under present conditions it is difficult to realize how countrified the place remained during the whole of the eighteenth century. In Kip’s Britannia Illustrata, published in 1714, there …

Continue reading »

Aug 20

Notting Hill in Bygone Days

We have scanned the seminal 1920s book about W10 and W11 history (now out of print): Florence Gladstone’s “Notting Hill in Bygone Days”. Each chapter is available here by following the links.   Chapter 1 Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Chenesitun and Knotting Barns Chapter 2 Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Kensington Gravel Pits and …

Continue reading »

May 01

William Miller’s Yard

We are not sure when this lovely old photo was taken but it at least dates after 1878 since Middle Row School can be seen in the background – it was built that year. William Miller lived at 4 South Row and kept chickens and a pig in the back. The yard was situated behind …

Continue reading »

Apr 26

Adela Street, W10

N.B. Clicking on map markers take you to articles on the main website Thanks to a feature about the movie Steptoe and Son (1972) on the ReelStreets website, we are taking a small trip both down memory lane and indeed Adela Street in Kensal Town. Adela Street is a tiny, otherwise inconsequential cul-de-sac off of …

Continue reading »

Apr 25

Western Arms

  The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road. Before changes in local licensing laws after the Second World War, it was notable in the past for being the last pub in Kensington where pubs shut at 10.30pm during the week. North of here, the Harrow Road …

Continue reading »

Apr 23

Cobden Club

The Cobden Working Men’s Club and Institute was sitauated at 170-172 Kensal Road. Lord William Cobden, the Fabian philanthropist, established the club in 1882 It remained a social centre for the neighbourhood for more than 100 years. Amongst its cultural contributions was its hosting of Christmas kids’ parties – a big feature of many of …

Continue reading »

Older posts «