Category Archive: North Kensington

Mar 09

Wornington Road, W10

N.B. Clicking on map markers take you to articles on the main website Wornington Road was built in the late 1860s. A plan existed, dated March 1865, called a ’Design for Laying out the Portobello Estate for Building Purposes’. The fields lying south of the Hammersmith and City Railway were then being built over and …

Continue reading »

Nov 23

London W10

W10 covers three main areas of London: North Kensington, the Queen’s Park Estate and parts of Notting Hill. The heart of London W10 is North Kensington (nowadays also known by the name of its main street, Ladbroke Grove). The Grand Union Canal is the official boundary between Kensal Green and North Kensington. The borders between …

Continue reading »

Sep 20

1800: London W10

This map of the 1800 countryside in the area which covers today’s London W10 postcode has been compiled by The Underground Map from various sources. As its main source, the Milne map of London shows the landuse of fields and the routes of lanes. An 1834 map of Marylebone Parish provided field names up to …

Continue reading »

Sep 07

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: St. Charles’s Ward

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER TEN ST. CHARLES’S WARD The Borough of Kensington is divided into nine Wards, five of which are on the south of Uxbridge Road, and four on the north of that road. Of the four northern wards Norland Ward and Pembridge Ward lie between Uxbridge Road and …

Continue reading »

Sep 06

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Portobello Road and Kensal New Town

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER NINE PORTOBELLO ROAD AND KENSAL NEW TOWN There seems to be a natural break where the railway embankment crosses Portobello Road. At this point the old lane was interrupted by low marshy ground, overgrown with rushes and water-cress, and it is said that snipe were shot …

Continue reading »

Sep 03

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Kensington Park

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER SIX KENSINGTON PARK   As buildings increase the story necessarily becomes more local. It is also impossible to avoid over-lapping of dates. This chapter begins with the time when Mr. John Whyte resigned the eastern half of the Hippodrome with the footpath over the hill, and …

Continue reading »

Sep 01

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: During the Eighteen Thirties

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER FOUR DURING THE EIGHTEEN THIRTIES The first encroachment on the rural character of Notting Hill was the cutting of the Paddington Branch of the Grand Junction Canal. Several artificial waterways had already been constructed among the manufacturing towns in the north of England, and the canal …

Continue reading »

Aug 31

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: In the Eighteenth Century

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER THREE IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY The commencement of the village of Kensington Gravel Pits has already been described. Under present conditions it is difficult to realize how countrified the place remained during the whole of the eighteenth century. In Kip’s Britannia Illustrata, published in 1714, there …

Continue reading »

Aug 20

Notting Hill in Bygone Days

We have scanned the seminal 1920s book about W10 and W11 history (now out of print): Florence Gladstone’s “Notting Hill in Bygone Days”. Each chapter is available here by following the links.   Chapter 1 Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Chenesitun and Knotting Barns Chapter 2 Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Kensington Gravel Pits and …

Continue reading »

Aug 12

Acklam Road and the Carnival

As Hawkwind played a series of free gigs under the Westway, pictured on the gatefold sleeve of their 1971 album ‘X In Search of Space’, during which they would merge with the Pink Fairies as Pinkwind, Frendz underground paper (at 305 Portobello Road) made ‘a call to all progressive people; black people smash the racist …

Continue reading »

Older posts «