Category Archive: NW2

Aug 29

Child’s Hill

A district on both sides of the Hendon-Hampstead border, Childs Hill took its name from Richard le Child, who in 1312 held a customary house and 30 a., probably on the Hendon side. A similar estate was held at the same time by Richard Blakett, who gave his name to Blacketts well, which in 1632 …

Continue reading »

Nov 07

Dollis Hill in 1900

On looking at the 1900 map of the area around Dollis Hill station, one might notice an immediate problem – Dollis Hill itself isn’t there at all. The nearby area, in those days, was called Dudden Hill. The Dollis Hill Estate was formed in the early 19th century, when the Finch family bought up a …

Continue reading »