Category Archive: Shepherd’s Bush

Jun 02

Wood Lane (1914)

There was for a time a bewildering confusion of station names in the Shepherd’s Bush area, because the London & South Western Railway, which ran trains along the tracks of the West London Railway through Addison Road, in 1869 constructed a branch line which curved westwards from Addison Road down to Richmond with stations eventually …

Continue reading »

Dec 29

Shepherd’s Bush Market

Shepherd’s Bush Market is located on the east side of the railway viaduct for the Hammersmith and City Tube line, and is bordered on the north side by the Uxbridge Road, and on the south by the Goldhawk Road. The market sits on land owned by Transport for London and is the subject (at time …

Continue reading »

Apr 07

Wood Lane, W12

In the 1780s, Wood Lane was known as Turvens Lane after Turvens House located a short distance north of Shepherd’s Bush Green. By the 1830s it had received its current name. In the 1860s the railway arrived with a line running parallel with Wood Lane but the area was still rural in character with the …

Continue reading »