Category Archive: W11

Mar 06

The Potteries and the Bramley Road area

N.B. Clicking on map markers take you to articles on the main website A NOTE ON LINKS Uxbridge Road – lower case links resolve to the main website, rather than this blog RACKHAM STREET – upper case links go to other articles in this blog Between the Ladbroke and Norland estates there extended northward from …

Continue reading »

Nov 21

Walmer Road, W11

Walmer Road started as an established footpath called Greeneā€™s Lane and appears as such on the 1800 map of the area. It connected the Uxbridge Road (Holland Park Avenue) with one of the only buildings north of this turnpike road – Notting Barns Farm. The soil was ideal for brickmaking and brickfields moved into the …

Continue reading »

Sep 20

1800: London W10

This map of the 1800 countryside in the area which covers today’s London W10 postcode has been compiled by The Underground Map from various sources. As its main source, the Milne map of London shows the landuse of fields and the routes of lanes. An 1834 map of Marylebone Parish provided field names up to …

Continue reading »

Sep 05

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: The Bayswater End and Portobello Road

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER EIGHT THE BAYSWATER END, AND PORTOBELLO ROAD Bayswater owes its name to Baynard, companion in arms to William the Conqueror, to whom was granted land in Paddington, which he held from the Abbots of Westminster. Bays Water, a corruption of Baynard’s Watering, is a name given …

Continue reading »

Sep 04

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Notting Dale

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER SEVEN NOTTING DALE Before describing the streets to the east of the Hippodrome Estate, connecting Notting Hill with Bayswater and Paddington, it will be best to consider the growth of the district which has had such a disastrous effect on the development of the western borders …

Continue reading »

Sep 03

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Kensington Park

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER SIX KENSINGTON PARK   As buildings increase the story necessarily becomes more local. It is also impossible to avoid over-lapping of dates. This chapter begins with the time when Mr. John Whyte resigned the eastern half of the Hippodrome with the footpath over the hill, and …

Continue reading »

Sep 02

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: The Peaceful Hamlet of Notting Hill

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER FIVE THE PEACEFUL HAMLET OF NOTTING HILL AT the beginning of the nineteenth century, the village of Kensington Gravel Pits extended for three-eighths of a mile along the North Highway. The name seems to have been used for scattered buildings as far east as Craven Terrace …

Continue reading »

Aug 30

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Kensington Gravel Pits and Northlands

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER TWO KENSINGTON GRAVEL PITS AND NORTHLANDS During the period of disorder which followed the Roman occupation of Britain, the forests were allowed to encroach, and in many places stretches of road became decayed and were ultimately overgrown by trees. This evidently happened between Brentford and Shepherd’s …

Continue reading »

Aug 29

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Chenesitun and Knotting Barns

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER ONE CHENESITUN AND KNOTTING BARNS On the north side of the Thames as it crosses London there is a range of low hills. Beginning with Tower Hill close to the river, the range ends with Campden Hill, three-quarters of a mile from its bank. Each hill …

Continue reading »

Aug 23

Daw’s map of Kensington (1852)

From Daw’s map of Kensington, published in 1852, shows the streets of Notting Dale (left) and Notting Hill (right) are beginning to be built.

Older posts «