Category Archive: W9

Jun 30

St. Peter’s Park – a lost suburb

Click the map icons to view other streets and locations St. Peter’s Park was formerly the name of a characterless suburb around Walterton Road. Until the spread of building in the mid 19th century, the area consisted of fields stretching westward from the Bayswater rivulet, bounded by Harrow Road to the south and by Kilburn …

Continue reading »

Mar 31

Orme’s Green

Westbourne Green had a very refined air in 1795 and was still considered a beautiful rural place in 1820. The Grand Junction canal, passing north of the village between the grounds of Westbourne Farm and Bridge House, was a scenic enhancement, later used to attract expensive building to the area. Although housing was spreading along …

Continue reading »

Mar 09

Westbourne Green

Westbourne Green had only a few houses by 1745, mostly south of the point where Harrow Road had a junction with Westbourne Green Lane (also known as Black Lion Lane) running northward from the Uxbridge Road. A footpath later called Bishop’s Walk (eventually Bishop’s Bridge Road) provided a short cut to Paddington Green. The Red …

Continue reading »

Jan 05

The River Westbourne

Click on the markers to show the waypoints which trace the course of the river LINKS IN CAPITAL LETTERS are blog posts Standard links go to the main website The hills of Hampstead Heath provide the source of three lost rivers of London – the Westbourne, Tyburn and Fleet. These rivers were long buried underground …

Continue reading »