The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG ()
(51.5142 -0.11646, 51.537 -0.211) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Featured · Queen’s Park ·
October
7
2022

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Northumberland Avenue, WC2N
Northumberland Avenue runs from Trafalgar Square in the west to the Thames Embankment in the east. In 1608–09, Henry Howard, 1st Earl of Northampton built a house on the eastern side of the former Chapel and Hospital of St. Mary Rounceval, at Charing Cross, including gardens running to the River Thames and adjoining Scotland Yard to the west. The estate became the property of Algernon Percy, 10th Earl of Northumberland when he married Howard’s great-great niece, Lady Elizabeth, in 1642, whereupon it was known as Northumberland House.

In June 1874, the whole of Northumberland House was purchased by the Metropolitan Board of Works and demolished to form Northumberland Avenue, which would accommodate hotels. The road was part built on the parallel Northumberland Street.

Contemporary planning permissions forbade hotels to be taller than the width of the road they were on; consequently Northumberland Avenue was built with a wide carriageway. Part of the parallel Northumberland Street was demolished in order to make way for the avenue’s eastern...

»more

JULY
26
2022

 

Houghton Street (1906)
A greengrocer’s on the corner of Houghton Street and Clare Market (behind The Strand) in 1906 just before demolition The thoroughfare known as Clare Market, leading eastwards into Lincoln’s Inn Fields, was so called in honour of the Earl of Clare, who lived "in a princely mansion" adjacent. His name is inscribed as a parishioner of St. Clement Danes in the ratebooks of 1617. In Howell’s "Londinopolis" of 1657 we read: "Then is there, towards Drury Lane, a new market, called Clare Market; then is there a street and palace of the same name, built by the Earl of Clare, who lived there in a princely mansion, having a house, a street, and a market both for flesh and fish, all bearing his name." It is also mentioned by Strype:- "Clare Market, very considerable and well served with provisions, both flesh and fish; for, besides the butchers in the shambles, it is much resorted unto by the country butchers and higglers. The market-days are Wednesdays and Saturdays."

"This market," says Nightingale, in the tenth volume of the Beauties of England and Wales, "stands on what was...
»more


JULY
25
2022

 

The Hare
The Hare is situated at 505 Cambridge Heath Road The Hare has existed on this site since the 1770s. The current building dates from around 1860.
»read full article


JUNE
21
2022

 

High Barnet - Totteridge walk
This walk takes in the top of the Northern Line High Barnet is a London Underground station and, in the past, a railway station, located in Chipping Barnet. It is the terminus of the High Barnet branch of the Northern line and is the start of a walk which takes us on to Totteridge and Whetstone station.

High Barnet station was an idea of the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway and was opened on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway which had taken over by then. It was situated on one of the original sites of the Barnet Fair and was the terminus of the branch line that ran from Finsbury Park via Highgate.

The section north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground network because of the Northern Heights project begun in the late 1930s. High Barnet station was served by Northern line trains from 14 April 1940 onwards.

The station retains much of its original Victorian architectural character, with some platform buildings dating from the pre-London Transport era.»more


MAY
19
2022

 

Lochnagar Street, E14
Lochnagar Street runs east from the Blackwall Tunnel northern approach road Before the coming of the Blackwall Tunnel, there was a road called Brunswick Road from which Lochnagar Street ran, towards Islay Wharf.

This area of Poplar contains a large number of streets with Scottish names because they were built on an estate which had been bought by the McIntosh family in 1823. The McIntosh Housing Estate was laid out during the 1870s and the road layout was formalised. During the 1880s an oil works was established on the river frontage.

The developer and builder of the housing was John Abbott, who is commemorated in Abbott Road - the longest street in this part of Poplar. The houses in Lochnagar Street had three rooms and a scullery down­stairs.

The initial letters of other street names were chosen alphabetically from Aberfeldy Street to Zetland Street. Other roads in this patch include Ailsa Street, Blair Street, Culloden Street, Dee Street, Ettrick Street, Findhorn Street, Leven Road, Oban Street, Spey Street, Te...
»more





LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Richard Lake   
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT   

Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Reply
Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 507 completed street histories and 46993 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS

MARCH
31
2019

 

Leadenhall Street, EC3P
Leadenhall Street - historic home to both the East India Company and Lloyd’s of London. Leadenhall Street links Cornhill and Bishopsgate in the west to St. Botolph Street and Aldgate in the east.

It dates from Roman times - the second century ’Leadenhall Street Mosaic’ was discovered during building work on the East India Company premises but taken to the British Museum in 1880.

In 1879 a telephone exchange was installed at No. 101 Leadenhall Street by The Telephone Company (Bells Patents) Ltd. – one of the first in London.

The street was home to East India House from 1729 until demolition in 1861 when replaced by Lloyd’s of London. The London Metal Exchange is also on the street.

The Aldgate Pump is located at the east end of Leadenhall Street.

»read full article


MARCH
30
2019

 

Camomile Street, EC3A
Camomile Street is a short street in the City of London Camomile Street runs west from Bevis Marks, continuing that street to Houndsditch.

The houses on the north side are on the site of the wall of London and a plaque on a house at the north-east corner of the street marks the former site of Bishopsgate.

It is possible that the land immediately within the wall was waste land and covered with the chamomile plant.

On a corner of Camomile Street is the Heron Tower skyscraper.
»read full article


MARCH
29
2019

 

Blessington Road, SE13
Blessington Road dates from the mid-Victorian period. The railway arrived in Lewisham in 1849 and by the 1850s, the first houses were appearing on the new Blessington Road.

Constructed as single middle class family houses complete with accommodation for servants, by the Second World War most houses in the street had been subdivided into flats.

Blessington Road suffered during the Second World War with a deadly bombing taking place on 29 June 1944 destroying houses and lives.

The Mercator Estate is a mixture of a terraces of houses facing onto Belmont Park and another eight houses north of Saxton Close. There are a series of blocks: Chesney House, Ericson House and Clavering House, on Mercator Road and Blessington Road; along with the Rawlinson House tower block.
»read full article


MARCH
26
2019

 

Clarendon Road, W11
Clarendon Road is one of the W11’s longest streets, running from Holland Park Avenue in the south to Dulford Street in the north. The area was largely open country when Clarendon Road was created during the second great wave of development on the Ladbroke estate in the 1840s. The estate was still owned at that time by the Ladbroke family in the person of James Weller Ladbroke. It was a time when the population of London was growing rapidly and developers saw rich profits to be made in providing the expanding population with housing.

James Weller Ladbroke had detailed plans drawn up for the western part of the Ladbroke estate, including Clarendon Road, in 1843 and 1846. Ladbroke did not undertake the development himself; instead he signed agreements or building leases with builders or speculators under which they undertook to build a certain number of houses on the plot of land covered by the agreement. Once the houses were built, Ladbroke would then give either the builder or a person nominated by him (usually the person who had provided finance for the construction) 99-year leases of the houses....
»more


MARCH
24
2019

 

Glengall Grove, E14
Glengall Grove was named after a major landowner in the Isle of Dogs. Margaret Lauretta, Countess of Glengall was the wife of the 2nd Earl of Glengall. She was the daughter of William Mellish and inherited her father’s considerable estate on the Isle of Dogs in 1834. Many places and buildings on the Island made use of the Glengall name.

One of those was Glengall Road. Glengall Road ran from Westferry Road in the west to Manchester Road in the east, crossing the Millwall Docks. It was renamed Glengall Grove shortly before the Second World War. When road access through Millwall Docks was stopped in 1963, the western half of the road was renamed Tiller Road.

Glengall Road/Grove was probably laid out in the 1850s since it appears first on an 1861 map but not on an 1850 one.

Football club Millwall Rovers’ first ever fixture was held on Glengall Road on 3 October 1885.

Other locations taking the Glengall name included:
- The Glengall Arms. A pub formerly located at 367 Westferry Road.<...
»more


MARCH
14
2019

 

Ainger Road, NW3
Ainger Road lies along the boundary of St John’s Hampstead, a parish which saw rapid development in the nineteenth century. The name commemorates Thomas Ainger, vicar of St John’s from 1841 until his death in 1863, who provided clinics, schools and churches to go with the new houses in the area. Until 1882, this was Windsor Road.

George Pownall was the builder/developer responsible for developing the street. In 1868 Pownall proposed to build several new roads. After building in Albert Park and Oppidans Road, Ainger Road was built in 1869. By 1879, Pownall had built 38 houses, three stables and a workshop.
»read full article


MARCH
12
2019

 

Latymer Upper School
Latymer Upper School is an independent selective grammar school which accepts boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 19. Latymer Upper School was founded by Edward Latymer in 1624. It is coeducational with over 1200 pupils.

Edward Latymer, a wealthy lawyer and puritan, left part of his wealth for the clothing and education of “eight poore boyes” from Hammersmith. In 1657, a parochial charity school was set up and was rebuilt in 1755. A new facility was built on what is now King Street in Hammersmith in 1863, and was replaced in 1890 with a new building between King Street and the Thames. This structure persists to the present day as the core of the Upper School. The site also includes Latymer Prep School, which takes pupils aged 7 to 11.

The school became fully private in 1975 after being a direct grant school. The Sixth Form has been co-educational since 1996, and in 2004 the main school started to become co-educational.
»read full article


MARCH
10
2019

 

Lower Marsh Market
Lower Marsh Market is in the Waterloo area of London. Lower Marsh Market and a variety of vintage shops, pubs, bookshops, art galleries, independent coffee spaces and a variety of restaurants featuring food from many ethnic origins.

In 2015, the market was reported as having 77 stalls.

»read full article


MARCH
9
2019

 

Television Centre
Television Centre is a complex in White City that was the headquarters of BBC Television between 1960 and 2013. The first BBC staff moved into the Scenery Block in 1953, and the centre was officially opened on 29 June 1960. Parts of the building are Grade II listed.

It was announced in 2010 that the BBC would cease broadcasting from Television Centre in 2013. Property developers Stanhope plc bought the complex for £200 million.
»read full article


MARCH
7
2019

 

St Luke’s Hospital for Lunatics
St Luke’s Hospital for Lunatics was founded in London in 1751 for the treatment of incurable pauper lunatics by a group of philanthropists. It was London’s second public institution in London created to look after mentally ill people, after the Hospital of St Mary of Bethlem (Bedlam), founded in 1246.

In 1786 the hospital moved to purpose-built premises on Old Street, between Bath St and what is now the Old Street Roundabout. The building had a magnificent frontage of brick, 500 feet long and had a central entrance, with the male wards to the left and female wards to the right.

There wered single cells for 300 patients, each with small windows set high in the wall.

All patients were transferred in 1916, and the buildings were acquired by the Bank of England to become the St Luke’s Printing Works, used for printing bank notess. The building was demolished in 1963.
»read full article


MARCH
6
2019

 

Thames Tunnel
The Thames Tunnel connects Rotherhithe and Wapping and was built between 1825 and 1843. There had been an increasing need for a new connection between the north and south banks of the Thames to link the expanding docks on each side.

In 1818, the Anglo-French engineer Marc Brunel had patented the tunnelling shield, a revolutionary advance in tunnelling technology. Five years later, he produced a plan for a tunnel between Rotherhithe and Wapping, which would be dug using the shield. Financing was found from private investors and the project began in February 1825.

The tunnelling shield was built at Henry Maudslay’s Lambeth works and assembled in the Rotherhithe shaft. Its main innovation was the support for the unlined ground in front and around it to reduce the risk of collapses. Many workers, including Marc Brunel, fell ill from the filthy sewage-laden water seeping through from the river above. The main engineer himsef, John Armstrong, fell ill in April 1826. Marc’s son Isambard Kingdom Brunel took over at the age of 20.
...
»more


MARCH
3
2019

 

Brunel Museum
The Brunel Museum is a museum at the Brunel Engine House in Rotherhithe. The Engine House itself was designed by Sir Marc Isambard Brunel as part of the infrastructure of the Thames Tunnel. It contained steam-powered pumps used to extract water from the tunnel.

Since 1961 the building has been used as a museum displaying information on the construction of the tunnel as well as other projects by Marc and Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
»read full article


MARCH
2
2019

 

Mercator Road, SE13
Mercator Road was at first called Marlborough Road and was first laid out in the 1850s. Ten deaths occurred in Mercator Road as the result of a Nazi raid on 29 June 1944 which destroyed most of the houses.

After the war, the road was cleared and over 80 prefabs were temporarily built on Mercator Road with some on Blessingham Road. This was a stopgap measure and in 1964, the Borough of Lewisham approved the building of the 14 storey Rawlinson House along with the rest of the Mercator Estate. This was built by the Tersons company, who were part of Balfour Beatty.
»read full article


MARCH
1
2019

 

First Avenue, EN1
First Avenue is an unusual instance of the numbering as opposed to the naming of roads. The area called ’The Avenues’ were built in different years, outside of the sequential order that might be expected.

Fourth Avenue and Fifth Avenue were built first in 1880 with Sixth Avenue begun in 1883. Seventh Avenue dates from 1884

First Avenue and Second Avenue date from the 1890s but Third Avenue did not appear until 1927.

In 1974 Enfield council compulsorily purchased properties north of Main Avenue and demolished Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Avenues to put up a housing estate.

First Avenue appears on the 1896 Ordnance Survey map with houses on the east side only.
»read full article


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy



w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless otherwise given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic licence.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.