The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51133 -0.01233, 51.537 -0.211) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: To create your own sharable map, right click on the map
Featured · Queen’s Park ·
MAY
18
2022

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
East India Dock Road, E14
East India Dock Road is an important artery connecting the City of London to Essex, and partly serves as the high street of Poplar It takes it name from the former East India Docks and its route was constructed between 1806 and 1812 as a branch of the Commercial Road. The road begins in the west at Burdett Road and continues to the River Lea bridge in the east in Canning Town.

It laid within the parish of Limehouse with the western end in the former Gravel Pit Field.

The westernmost end, west of Stainsby Road and Birchfield Street was built up between 1847 and 1853 (north side) and 1850 and 1860 (south side).

»more

FEBRUARY
14
2022

 

Whitechapel High Street, E1
Whitechapel High Street runs approximately west-east from Aldgate High Street to Whitechapel Road and is designated as part of the A11 Forming part of the main road from Aldgate to Essex and known originally as Algatestreet, it was paved as early as the reign of Henry VIII, although John Stow described its shabbiness as "no small blemish on so famous a city".

Owing to its importance as a major thoroughfare out of London, its sides were built up early and included many coaching inns and taverns. Although some remain (in name only), many of these hostelries were closed following the arrival of the railways in the 19th century.

Whitechapel High Street becomes Whitechapel Road after the intersection with Osborn Street and Whitechurch Lane. It was also the location of the Whitechapel Haymarket, first given its charter in 1708 and abolished in 1929.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
13
2022

 

Worgan Street, SE11
Worgan Street is the new name for the former Catherine Street in the Vauxhall Gardens Estate area Spring Gardens was established here in the reign of King Charles II. Here could be found live entertainers, food and drink. It was a venue for amorous liaisons, as regular visitor Samuel Pepys noted.

In 1729, the Vauxhall Spring-Gardens was sublet to the entrepreneurial Jonathan Tyers who saw an opportunity to provide a new style of entertainment for Londoners, charging an admission fee of one shilling to discourage the pickpockets and ’ladies of the night’. This became the first and best-known of London’s pleasure gardens. Over the next 130 years Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens played host to concerts, operas, firework displays, circus acts, balloon rides and more.

In 1859, the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens were closed and the area redeveloped into housing. Catherine Street was built here and the street was renamed Worgan Street in the late 1930s.

In the 1970s, the local houses - some badly war-damaged - were demolis...
»more


FEBRUARY
12
2022

 

Wilsham Street, W11
Wilsham Street was formerly known as St Katherine’s Road Charles Booth’s poverty map placed the Kensington Potteries among the "criminal and irreclaimable areas", largely on account of the overcrowded condition of its unsuitable and derelict houses.

Five short streets in the district became known as the "Special Area.": Bangor Street, Crescent Street and three roads that have been renamed. St. Clement’s, now called Sirdar Road, St. Katherine’s Road, now Wilsham Street, and William, now Kenley Street.

In 1899 an enquiry was undertaken at the instance of the London County Council, and it was found that nearly half the babies born in this area died before they were a year old.

In 1904 there was a public-house to every twenty-five dwellings in these streets, and about twenty-three common lodging-houses provided accommodation for over seven hundred persons, at a nightly charge of fourpence or sixpence.

Greater however than the evil of these licensed lodging-houses, w...
»more


FEBRUARY
11
2022

 

Golborne Mews, W10
Golborne Mews lies off of the Portobello Road, W10 The Mews is part of the ‘Oxford Gardens’ Conservation Area. Designated in 1975 to include the St Quintin Estate, Oxford Gardens, Bassett Road and Cambridge Gardens, the Conservation Area contains very few listed buildings and can be split into three districts containing developments spanning from 1897 to after 1905.

Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
»read full article





LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Watts   
Added: 17 May 2022 20:29 GMT   

Baeethoven St School, also an Annex for Paddington College of FE.
In the early 70’s I took a two year science course at Paddington CFE. The science classes were held on weekday evenings at Beethoven Street school, overseen by chemistry teacher, Mr Tattershall.

Reply

   
Added: 25 Apr 2022 22:11 GMT   

Southover, N12
Everyone knows Central Woodside is the place to be. Ever since kdog moved from finchtown, Woodside has been thriving.

Reply
Born here
Bernard Miller   
Added: 12 Apr 2022 17:36 GMT   

My mother and her sister were born at 9 Windsor Terrace
My mother, Millie Haring (later Miller) and her sister Yetta Haring (later Freedman) were born here in 1922 and 1923. With their parents and older brother and sister, they lived in two rooms until they moved to Stoke Newington in 1929. She always said there were six rooms, six families, a shared sink on the first floor landing and a toilet in the backyard.

Reply

Brian Lynch   
Added: 10 Apr 2022 13:38 GMT   

Staples Mattress Factory
An architect’s design of the Staples Mattress Factory
An image found on the website of Dalzell’s Beds, in Armagh Northern Ireland.

Reply
Lived here
   
Added: 19 Feb 2022 16:21 GMT   

Harmondsworth (1939 - 1965)
I lived in a house (Lostwithiel) on the Bath Road opposite the junction with Tythe Barn Lane, now a hotel site. Initially, aircraft used one of the diagonal runways directly in line with our house. I attended Sipson Primary School opposite the Three Magpies and celebrated my 21st birthday at The Peggy Bedford in 1959.

Reply

Emma Seif   
Added: 25 Jan 2022 19:06 GMT   

Birth of the Bluestocking Society
In about 1750, Elizabeth Montagu began hosting literary breakfasts in her home at 23 (now 31) Hill Street. These are considered the first meetings of the Bluestocking society.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 14 Jan 2022 03:06 GMT   

Goldbourne Gardens W 10
I lived in Goldbourne Gardens in the 50,s very happy big bomb site

Reply

Chris Nash   
Added: 10 Jan 2022 22:54 GMT   

Shortlands Close, DA17
Shortlands Close and the flats along it were constructed in the mid-1990s. Prior to this, the area was occupied by semi-detached houses with large gardens, which dated from the post-war period and were built on the site of Railway Farm. The farm and its buildings spanned the length of Abbey Road, on the south side of the North Kent Line railway tracks.

Reply

NOVEMBER
30
2021

 

Bolina Road, SE16
Bolina Road was developed with workers’ terraced housing in the late 19th century. Bolina Road and the similarly exotically named roads around it - Zampa Road and Senegal Road - were developed after replacing market gardens in the 1860s. It was part of an industrial landscape that grew up the local railway lines

Charles Booth visited the area in 1899, writing: "This is a small D-shaped portion known as Hobman’s Estate, and comprises: Zampa Road, Bolina Road, Haydock Road, Erlam Road, Stockholm Road. All 2-storey houses with bows on first floor and ground floor, small iron-railinged fronts, small backs to which the top storey has access by special flight of stairs. All lived in by two families with four rooms to a floor. Let at 7/- each. Rents paid weekly. No bathroom. Quiet and respectable. Fairly broad streets with occasional trees on the pavement. The streets are paved with a special composition of tar and crushed stone made in Hobman’s factory in the Stockholm Road. Hobman makes the playgrounds for the School Board. He is also a manufa...
»more


NOVEMBER
29
2021

 

The Shard
The Shard - formerly London Bridge Tower is a 72-storey skyscraper, designed by the Italian architect Renzo Piano, in Southwark. Standing 309 metres tall, the Shard - on completion - became the tallest building in the United Kingdom, and the seventh-tallest building in Europe. It also became the second-tallest free-standing structure in the United Kingdom. It replaced Southwark Towers, a 24-storey block built on the site dating from 1975.

The Shard’s construction began in March 2009 and was topped out on 30 March 2012.

The tower’s 72nd floor observation deck, The View from The Shard, was opened to the public on 1 February 2013.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
28
2021

 

Astoria houseboat
Astoria is a houseboat built in 1911 for impresario Fred Karno, becoming a recording studio in the 1980s for its new owner, Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour. Astoria is moored on the River Thames at Hampton. It was built in 1911 for impresario Fred Karno who wanted to have the best houseboat on the river. It was permanently moored alongside his hotel, the Karsino, Tagg’s Island. He designed it to be large enough for a 90-piece orchestra to play on deck.

Dave Gilmour purchased the boat in 1986 after seeing it advertised for sale in a copy of Country Life magazine in his dentist’s waiting room.

Parts of three Pink Floyd studio albums: A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987), The Division Bell (1994), and The Endless River (2014), were recorded on the boat.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
27
2021

 

Jacob’s Island
Jacob’s Island was a notorious slum in Bermondsey during the 19th century. Jacob’s Island was located on the south bank of the Thames to the east of Shad Thames and the mouth of the former River Neckinger (St Savour’s Dock). It developed a reputation as the worst slum in London. It featured in the Charles Dickens novel Oliver Twist, published shortly before the area was cleared during the 1860s.

Bermondsey had been a rural parish on the outskirts of London. During the 17th century, the area began to be developed as a wealthy suburb but by the 19th century, Bermondsey had experienced a serious decline as noxious industries such as tanning moved in. It became the site of terrible slums, especially along the river.

Of these, Jacob’s Island was the most notorious. It was described in 1849 by The Morning Chronicle as "the very capital of cholera" and "The Venice of Drains".

The 19th-century social researcher Henry Mayhew described Jacob’s Island as a "pest island" with bridges crossing ti...
»more


NOVEMBER
26
2021

 

Bermondsey
The name Bermondsey first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine during the 8th century. Pope Constantine (708-715), in a letter, granted privileges to a monastery at Vermundesei, then in the hands of the abbot of Medeshamstede (as Peterborough was known at the time).

Though Bermondsey’s name may derive from Beornmund’s island (whoever the Anglo-Saxon Beornmund was, is another matter), but Bermondsey is likely to have been a higher, drier spot in an otherwise marshy area, rather than a real island.

Bermondsey appears in the Domesday Book and it was then held by King William (the Conqueror). A small part of the area was in the hands of Robert, Count of Mortain - William’s half brother.

Bermondsey Abbey was founded in 1082 as a Cluniac priory, with St Saviour as the patron.

The monks from the abbey began to develop the area, cultivating land and embanking the river. They put a dock at the mouth of River Neckinger, an adjacent tidal inlet. Records show this was called St Savior’...
»more


NOVEMBER
25
2021

 

Highams Park
Highams Park is situated between Walthamstow and Chingford. The Highams Park area was previously known as ‘The Sale’ - this name appeared on maps from 1641. Another local name was Hale End, site of the later Halex factory.

The whole area lay within the manor of Hecham - meaning high home - existing already in 1066.

In 1768 Anthony Bacon built Higham House (also known as Highams) to William Newton’s design. It was altered again in the 1780s.

In the 1790s, the grounds, including a summer house built with stones from old London Bridge, were redesigned to include a lake fed by the River Ching. The summer house was demolished in 1831.

In 1849, Highams became the property of Edward Warner. Parcels of the estate started to be sold for development but the real spur to housing was the arrival in 1873 of Highams Park railway station. This was opened to the west of the Highams estate. Immediately around the station, the land was developed.

A few years later, in 18...
»more


NOVEMBER
24
2021

 

London City Airport
London City Airport (LCY) is located within the Royal Docks, London Borough of Newham. London City Airport is situated 9.7 km east of the City of London and was built by the Mowlem engineering company in 1987.

The first proposed was the airport was in 1981 - made by the London Docklands Development Corporation, the organisation then responsible for the regeneration of the area.

The airport has a single 1508 metre runway, and because of its situation, multi-engine, fixed-wing aircraft only up to Airbus A318 size are allowed to conduct operations.

The Docklands Light Railway (DLR) opened its London City Airport station on its Woolwich branch (originally the King George V branch), opening on 2 December 2005.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
23
2021

 

Knoyle Street, SE14
Knoyle Street is the eastern extension of Cold Blow Lane beyond the East London Railway. The line of Knoyle Street dates back to the early 1800s as simply a muddy footpath extending Cold Blow Lane.

The street has a confusing history of layouts. Originally it ran east-west but in the 1960s it was shortened and most of the street was newer, running in a quarter-circle north from the shortened section. Part of the Woodpecker Estate was built here.

When completed, the Woodpecker Estate consisted of eight tower blocks. In the centre of the estate was the main local shopping centre and a pub named The Spanish Steps. The estate became synonymous with gang culture in Lewisham and in 1992, an Estate Action Plan was drawn up for the regeneration of the estate. This resulted in all but one of its tower blocks being demolished and replaced with three storey blocks of flats.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
22
2021

 

Brushfield Street, E1
Brushfield Street is a thoroughfare running east-west from Commercial Street to Bishopsgate. Depicted in 1676 as an unnamed road on the south side of the ’Spittlefield’ running between Crispin Street and Red Lion Street. By the beginning of the 18th century it had acquired the name Little Paternoster and later Paternoster Row.

It was extended west to Bishopsgate in the latter half of the 18th century, the new extension cutting through Crispin Street, Gun Street, Steward Street and Duke Street (later Fort Street). This new section was called Union Street.

The north side of the street was (and to some extent still is) dominated by the buildings of Spitalfields Market. It was renamed Brushfield Street on 25 February 1870 in honour of Thomas Brushfield, a Justice of the Peace, trustee of the London Dispensary in Fournier Street and a prominent Vestryman. Thomas Tempany, owner of Mr Tenpenny’s Lodging House in Gun Street, was recorded as residing at 6 Paternoster Row before the name-change.

The Prince Albert pub stood...
»more


NOVEMBER
21
2021

 

Aldermaston Street, W10
Aldermaston Street is a lost street of North Kensington Aldermaston Street was part of an estate of 50 acres that a barrister called James Whitchurch purchased (for £10 an acre) in the nineteenth century. Streets began to be laid out on the estate during 1846. Aldermaston, Bramley, Pamber and Silchester were four neighbouring villages near Basingstoke, where Whitchurch’s daughter - Florence Blechynden Whitchurch -
was living.

Aldermaston Street was one of the streets which disappeared after the Westway was built though it didn’t lie directly on the route. Instead its footprint covers what is now the Westway Sports Centre.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
20
2021

 

Brook Street, E1
Brook Street was an old name for this section of Cable Street. Until Victorian times, the current Cable Street had different names for each of its sections. From west to east these were Rosemary Lane, Cable Street, Knock Fergus, New Road, Back Lane, Bluegate Field, Sun Tavern Fields and Brook Street.

In the Victorian era, most sections of Cable Street were combined into one name, with the former names abolished. Other terrace names were abolished at the same time, all becoming simply ’Cable Street’.

Brook Street held onto its distinct name until the 1930s. The Post Office was trying to simplify London street names to stop confusing postal workers - there were too many duplicate names. There were several Brook Streets across London and so this name went too.

Brook Street, Limehouse by Joseph Pennell (1857-1926). 1899. Illustration for Walter Besant’s East London (London: Chatto & Windus, 1901), p. 139.

Chapter V of Besant’s book is entitled "The Factory Girl." Her...
»more


NOVEMBER
19
2021

 

Cable Street, E1
Cable Street started as a straight path along which hemp ropes were twisted into ships’ cables. Cable Street originally ran straight for the length of an average ship’s cable, allowing people to lay out the ropes as they made them. However the Cable Street name has absorbed many other streets so it is now much longer. The name first appears on the 1750s Rocque maps but dates from well before this.

Cable Street starts near the edge of the City of London financial district and continues on through to Shadwell and thence to Stepney, finally to the junction between Cable Street and Butcher Row in Limehouse.

It was known by many names in its past - the Cable Street was the westernmost of the streets and existed since the beginning. The next section east was Knock Fergus, followed by New Road, Back Lane, Bluegate Fields, Sun Tavern Fields and Brook Street.

The street runs parallel to (and south of) the Docklands Light Railway and Commercial Road, and is parallel but north of The Highway.

From Victorian times until the...
»more


NOVEMBER
18
2021

 

Trident Studios
Trident Studios was located at 17 St Anne’s Court between 1968 and 1981. Trident Studios had been constructed in 1967 by Norman and Barry Sheffield. The Sheffield brothers had a relaxed working attitude, but also emphasised high standards of audio engineering

"My Name is Jack" by Manfred Mann was recorded at Trident in March 1968 and helped launch the studio’s reputation - its state-of-the-art recording equipment helped attract many major artists to record there.

Later that year, the Beatles recorded their single "Hey Jude" there and part of their "White Album" sessions. Other well-known albums and songs recorded at Trident include Elton John’s "Your Song", David Bowie’s Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust, Lou Reed’s Transformer, Carly Simon’s No Secrets, and three early Queen albums.

As part of the studio set up, Norman Sheffield leased a C. Bechstein grand piano from a company called Jake Samuel Pianos". The piano and hand made and already over 100 years old in 1968.

Com...
»more


NOVEMBER
17
2021

 

St Anne’s Court, W1D
St Anne’s Court is an alleyway that connects Dean Street and Wardour Street. Parts of St Anne’s Court can be dated back to the late seventeenth century. The eastern part was originally built in c. 1690 and the western end was built on the Pulteney estate. A plan of the south side is included in the Portland estate plan, made around 1792.

The buildings fronting the narrow western end have been rebuilt at various times, but several original houses survive in the eastern end.

Sites in St Anne’s Court included the model lodgings designed by William Burges between 1864 and 1866 for the banker and philanthropist Lackland Mackintosh Rate. This resulted in a series of thirty lodging rooms ’to be let to artisans’. The building was subsequently demolished.

Sites also include Trident Studios at number 17 and the 1970s science fiction bookshop Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed. In the 1980s, a basement in St Anne’s Court was home to Shades Records, a store specialising in Death Metal and Thras...
»more


NOVEMBER
16
2021

 

Suffield Road, SE17
Suffield Road was laid out after the demise of the Royal Surrey Zoological Gardens. The Royal Surrey Zoological Gardens grew out of a menagerie started by Edward Cross in 1831 - he had previously exhibited at Exeter Change in the Strand.

The gardens were designed by Henry Phillips and highly praised - they were compared favourably with the Regent’s Park Zoological Gardens. The land of the zoo had previously been the 19-acre Lorrimore Common.

Cages for lions, tigers and other animals were enclosed within a glasshouse, 300 feet in circumference.

The gardens covered roughly the area between Suffield Road on the north, Lorrimore Road to the south, Penrose Street and Borrett Road on the east, and Chapter Road/Delverton Road to the west.

Edward Cross retired in 1844 and, under the new management of William Tyler, fell under hard times. He sold the animals in 1855 in order to keep the enterprise afloat but in 1856 seven people were killed in a stampede during a sermon by a local Baptist minister. The resulti...
»more


NOVEMBER
15
2021

 

Bow Locks
Bow Locks is a set of bi-directional locks in Bromley-by-Bow Bow Locks link the tidal Bow Creek to the River Lee Navigation.

The first recorded mention of water control at the site was during the reign of Edward I. Henry de Bedyk of Halliwell Priory and owner of the nearby tide mills erected a structure some time before 1307. A description of its operation in 1416 indicates that it consisted of a dam with a navigable 18 feet wide channel through it. The owners of the mills rebuilt the structure - now referred to as a lock - in 1573.

With the river was important for trade, an engineer called John Smeaton was asked to recommend improvements in 1765. He suggested a cut from Bow Locks to Limehouse. The Limehouse Cut was opened in 1777, but the lock was not altered.

A pound lock was constructed between 1851 and 1852, to accommodate barges up to 108 by 20 feet. The trustees imposed a toll for using the lock but this was unpopular with the bargees. A compromise was reached, where use of the lock required t...
»more


NOVEMBER
14
2021

 

Highams Park Estate, IG8
The Highams Park Estate was an estate of 176 prefabs which existed between 1947 and 1961. In 1947 Walthamstow Council erected prefab homes in Highams Park - some of the layout of the roads is still visible in the park. These were erected in order to address the local post-war shortage of homes after bombing.

Three years earlier, the Churchill coalition government introduced the Housing (Temporary Accommodation) Act to provide temporary houses - there was an anticipated shortfall of 200 000 homes. The proposal was to address the shortfall by building 500 000 pre-fabricated houses with a planned lifetime of ten years within a five year period. These became popularly known as ’prefabs’.

At the end of the war, the Labour government of Clement Attlee, agreed to deliver 300 000 units within a decade, within a budget of ÃÆ’Æ’Æ’ÃÆ’¢â‚¬ÅÃâ€...
»more


NOVEMBER
13
2021

 

Folgate Street, E1
Folgate Street, formerly White Lion Yard and White Lion Street, has 17th century origins. The development of Folgate Street by the St John and Tillard Estate did not involve building a new street but repurposing an existing one - this older street ran from Wheler Street to Norton Folgate and had probably been developed from a yard, perhaps at about the same time that Wheler Street was built. In the late seventeenth century, Folgate Street was known as White Lion Yard.

The western end of the street is shown in the Hollar map dating after the Great Fire. In the 1675 tax returns, sixty houses were listed as being in White Lion Yard. The street was most likely completely rebuilt by the mid-eighteenth century.

One of more building leases were granted in 1697 and in 1704 White Lion Yard was "a certain place - commonly called White Lyon Yard intended to be rebuilt and called White Lyon Street". On plans of 1711-12, the lower part of Blossom Street, shown as Sote’s Hole, is in existence. Some of the buildings on the north side of White L...
»more


NOVEMBER
12
2021

 

Turnpike Lane
Turnpike Lane station was opened on 19 September 1932 as part of the Cockfosters extension of the Piccadilly line. Turnpike Lane station was designed by Charles Holden and is an example of the modernist house style of London Transport in the 1930s. Like the other stations on the Cockfosters extension, Turnpike Lane set new aesthetic standards for the Underground. It was the first Underground station to be built in the Borough of Tottenham and was located at the meeting point of the then boroughs of Tottenham, Hornsey and Wood Green. It was listed at Grade II in 1994.

Two of the street entrances originally gave access to tram routes to and from Alexandra Palace. The trams were withdrawn in 1938 and replaced by buses - these continued to use the tram islands until 1968. By the 1990s the bus station was deemed too small and a new bus station was built which involved demolishing an adjacent cinema.

During the planning period for the extension to Cockfosters, two alternate names for this station, North Harringay and Ducketts Green were considered.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
11
2021

 

Widegate Street, E1
Widegate Street is now a short street connecting Middlesex Street and Sandy’s Row. The Widegate name comes from the former ‘white gate’ entrance into the Old Artillery Ground, which was established in the 16th century. Areas of the Artillery Ground were sold off for development in subsequent centuries, with its legacy living on today in names such as Fort Street, Gun Street, Artillery Passage and Artillery Lane.

Widegate Street used to be longer - its western section was absorbed by Middlesex Street in the 1890s.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
10
2021

 

Purves Road, NW10
Purves Road is named after the solicitor of the United Land Company who were developers in this area. After 1888, when the surrender of a farm lease allowed construction north of the railway line, All Souls’ College began to exploit its lands. It built Chamberlayne Road, which connected Kensal with Willesden Green and eventually boasted a pleasant little shopping centre, as well as some light industry. This new area of development was given the name of Kensal Rise. Kensal Green station was renamed Kensal Rise in 1890.

The land for Purves Road was sold by All Souls College and the builders were Vigers. The All Souls’ estate now stretches from Kensal Green to Harlesden.

The road was the site of the Princess Frederica School.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
9
2021

 

Tweeddale Road, SM5
Tweeddale Road is part of the 1930s St Helier Estate. The St Helier Estate is the second largest (825 acres) of the London County Council (LCC) cottage estates.

The architect was G. Topham Forrest who included natural aspects - existing trees, hedges, shrubberies and greens - in the plan. The design incorporates varying gables, porches and door canopies to reduce the design monotony found in many interwar estates.

The estate was constructed by C.J. Wills and Sons and was named after Lady St Helier, who had served on the London County Council and was noted for her good works with the poor.

As Morden was once in the possession of the Abbey of Westminster, many roads were named after monasteries in England and Wales, and five in Scotland.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
8
2021

 

Barnehurst Road, DA7
Barnehurst Road was previously called Hills and Holes Road. The road may date from the 1850s or before as a lane through Conduit Wood.

It was the 1926 electrification of the Bexleyheath line that signalled the start of the large interwar housing developments.

The first builder in the area was J.W. Ellingham and who chose the site next to the station on which to build the ’Barnehurst Estate’. This consisted of 578 semi-detached houses which sold for £600 each with building starting along Barnehurst Road in 1926.

The Midfield shopping parade of shops was finished in 1928. The Barnehurst Estate was completed in the early 1930s.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
7
2021

 

Pinehurst Court, W11
Pinehurst Court is a mansion block at 1-9 Colville Gardens. The terrace was built in the 1870s by George Frederick Tippett, who also developed much of the rest of the neighbourhood.

The block was intended as single family homes for richer people.

It proved difficult to attract wealthy buyers to the area and in 1885 Tippett was declared bankrupt. As early as 1888 the buildings began to be subdivided into flats and the character changed as wealthier tenants left the area. In 1928, it was described as "rapidly becoming poorer" and in 1935 "largely a slum area".

One of the buildings at the end of the terrace was destroyed during the Second World War - it has since been rebuilt in the modern style. The same raid severely damaged other buildings in the area, including All Saints Church.

In 1953 the terrace was bought by Fernbank Investments Ltd for £8000. Conditions did not improve and in 1966 some of the residents began to approach the Borough in an attempt to improve living conditions...
»more


NOVEMBER
6
2021

 

Hatton Cross
Hatton Cross is a London Underground station on the Heathrow branch of the Piccadilly Line. Hatton Cross station is located close to Heathrow airport in Hatton adjacent to the Great South West Road (A30) on the airport’s Southern Perimeter Road.

It opened on 19 July 1975 in the first phase of the extension of the Piccadilly line from Hounslow West to Heathrow Airport and it remained the terminus until Heathrow Central opened on 16 December 1977.

The station serves a large area including Feltham to the south and Bedfont to the west and was named after the crossroads of the Great South West Road and Hatton Road.

On its opening in 1975, Hatton Cross was one of 279 active stations on the London Underground, the highest ever total; the number of stations in the network has since decreased.

Hatton Cross is also the nearest underground station to the popular plane spotting location of Myrtle Avenue, and for this reason is commonly used by plane spotters travelling to the area.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
5
2021

 

Little Dorrit Court, SE1
Little Dorrit’s Court, North of Marshalsea Road, is named after the Dickens character. Charles Dickens had lodgings in Lant Street to the south of Marsalsea Road as a child when his father was in the nearby Marshalsea debtors’ prison in 1824. This had a profound effect on the young Dickens.

His novel Little Dorrit (1855) is based around the area and the prison. The character Little Dorrit was baptised and married in the local church, St George the Martyr, at the southeast end of Marshalsea Road. The book is a commentary on the treatment of the poor.

Much of the area became derelict as a result of air raid damage during World War II until redevelopment just after the new millennium. The Little Dorrit Court name precedes the later street and dates from immediately after the Second World War.

Little Dorrit Court is one of a number of Southwark streets and alleys named after characters from the works of Charles Dickens, including Copperfield Street, Clennam Street, Doyce Street and Quilp Street.

Little Dorrit...
»more


NOVEMBER
4
2021

 

Highgate Hill, N19
Highgate Hill formed part of the old highway from Islington to Highgate which was opened in the 14th century. Highgate Hill dates from circa 1380 when a new road from the City via Holloway had come into use as the main road going north. Holloway Road and Highgate Hill became linked with the new North Road past the ‘highgate’. At the summit, Highgate sits atop a 426-foot hill.

Highgate Hill remains one of the steepest roads in London with its steepest gradient being the point where changes name to Highgate High Street. Dick Whittington is said to have sat upon a milestone on Highgate Hill on his way back to the family home in Gloucestershire. Inspired by the distant sound of Bow Bells, he turned again to find fame and fortune in London.

From the 16th century, houses began to form along Highgate Hill.

Until 1808, when Archway Road was built - providing a bypass - Highgate Hill was the main road up to Highgate village. The hill was particularly problematic for carts bearing heavy loads.

There were four other ways...
»more


NOVEMBER
3
2021

 

Coppock Close, SW11
Coppock Close is part of the Kambala Estate. The Kambala Estate was named after a former road that the estate covered - Kamballa Road. It is part of a scheme of low-rise brick-built houses and flats, built between 1976 and 1979.
»read full article


NOVEMBER
2
2021

 

Connaught Square, W2
Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. It is named after the Earl of Connaught who had a house nearby. The current appearance of the square dates from the 1820s. The square is just north of Hyde Park, and to the west of Edgware Road. It is also within 300 m of Marble Arch, and the western end of Oxford Street.

Connaught Square’s architecture is primarily Georgian. Redevelopment was initially planned in the early 18th century and the first of its 45 brick houses was built in 1828 as part of the Hyde Park estate by Thomas Allason.

Residents of Connaught Square hold an exclusive summer party in the central communal garden every year. The garden square is maintained by the owners of the adjoining properties who contribute to its upkeep, and in return are issued keys to the garden. Such gated gardens are a particular feature of this area of London. The horses of the Royal Artillery regularly do their early morning rides down Connaught Street.

In October 2004, the then Prime Min...
»more


NOVEMBER
1
2021

 

Cheshire Street, E1
Cheshire Street is a street in the East End linking Brick Lane with Bethnal Green and Whitechapel. It has had various names in its history, such as Hare Street, and today forms part of Brick Lane Market on Sundays. The Cheshire Street part of the market is home to various Bric A Brac stalls; prior to the area become popular with artists, the market was a source of basic items (clothes, toys etc.) for working people from the East End.

The street runs parallel to the former Bishopsgate Goods Yard and the main railway track into Liverpool Street and the railway viaduct that used to carry trains into the good yard is one of the oldest brick rail viaducts in the world, the listed Braithwaite Viaduct. It is possible to see the original brick work of this viaduct from Grimsby Street, a tributary of Cheshire Street.

The old Carpenters Arms pub is also located on Cheshire Street. The notorious Kray twins bought the pub for their mother, who used to hold court in it at weekends. According to the last proprietors of the pub, the Krays installed a bespoke bar surf...
»more


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy



w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless otherwise given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic licence.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.