Chapel House Street, E14
|MAP YEAR:||1750||1800||1810||1820||1830||1860||1900||1950||2022||Show map without markers|
|ZOOM:||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17 18||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17 18|
|TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps|
|Main source:||Isle of Dogs – Past Life, Past Lives | Two Hundred Years of Docks, Industry & Islanders|
|Further citations and sources|
|Click here to explore another London street|
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS
|CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY|
|LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT|
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT
Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."
From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.
Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT
The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT
Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.
He was awarded a £10 bonus.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT
The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT
TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.
Added: 9 Aug 2022 19:01 GMT
Ely place existed in name in 1857
On 7th July 1857 John James Chase and Mary Ann Weekes were married at St John the Baptist Hoxton, he of full age and she a minor. Both parties list their place of residence as Ely Place, yet according to other information, this street was not named until 1861. He was a bricklayer, she had no occupation listed, but both were literate and able to sign their names on their marriage certificate.
|NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE|
Alpha Grove (1962) Alpha Grove (previously Alpha Road) runs from Strafford Street to Tiller Road on the Isle of Dogs. Alpha Grove ran right through to the West India Dock fence dock - its cranes can be seen at the end of the road. When built in the 1800s, Alpha Road followed a section of the old island path, Dolphin Lane. The road running across the view in the photo is Byng Street.
TUM image id: 1489324044
Albury Street, formerly Union Street in Deptford (1906)
TUM image id: 1570990116
Licence: CC BY 2.0