Ludgate Hill, EC4M

Road in/near City of London

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51399 -0.10271, 51.513 -0.102) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · City of London · EC4M ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Ludgate Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.

0
A lot of the street information research on this website is academic in nature - from university research, the Survey of London, British History Online, borough conservation areas and more. Occasionally, the Hive Mind comes up trumps - these derivations come from discoveries on the Wikipedia made during 2019 which is feeding into the project.

If we find any derivations dubious here, we remove them. With that proviso, the TUM project provides them here for your enjoyment...

A-B-C D-E-F G-H-I J-K-L M-N-O P-Q-R S T-U-V W-X-Y-Z

Sackville Street - after Captain Edward Sackville, tenant of a house on the west side of the street in 1675; it was formerly known as Stone Conduit Close [Mayfair]
Saffron Hill – these used to be the gardens of the Bishops of Ely, where they grew saffron [Hatton Garden]
Saffron Street – these used to be the gardens of the Bishops of Ely, where they grew saffron [Hatton Garden]
Salisbury Court and Salisbury Square – after the London house of the bishops of Salisbury, located here prior to the Reformation [City of London]
Salisbury Place – after the Salisbury brothers (Isaac, John and Thomas), local 18th century builders [Marylebone]
Salisbury Street – Broadley Street near here was formerly Earl Street, and the surrounding streets were given earldom-related names in the early 19th century; this was named for the Earls of Salisbury [Lisson Grove]
Salter’s Hall Court – after the former hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters, destroyed in the Blitz [City of London]
Salters Court – after the former hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters, moved in 1600 [City of London]
Sancroft Street – after William Sancroft, 79th Archbishop of Canterbury, by association with the nearby Lambeth Palace [Vauxhall]
Sanctuary Street – as the local mint formerly here claimed the local area as a sanctuary for debtors [Southwark]
Sandell Street – after one Mr Sandell, who owned wharehouses here in the 1860s [Waterloo]
Sandwich Street – after Sandwich in Kent, home county of local 16th century landowner Andrew Judd [Bloomsbury]
Sandy’s Row – after a builder or property owner of this name [City of London]
Sans Walk – after Edward Sans, named in 1893 as he was then oldest member of the local parish vestry [Clerkenwell]
Saracens Head Yard – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Sardinia Street – after the embassy of the Kingdom of Sardinia and its associated chapel, formerly located on the site of a nearby demolished street of the same name [Holborn]
Saunders Road Uxbridge Street built near the site of the former RAF Uxbridge, and named after an air marshal in the Second World War. Hugh Saunders was Chief of Staff for the Royal New Zealand Air Force.
Savage Gardens – after Thomas Savage, who owned a house here in the 1620s [City of London]
Savile Row – after Dorothy Savile, Countess of Burlington and Countess of Cork, wife of Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington, local landowner [Mayfair]
Savoy Buildings – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Court – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Hill – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Place Westminster Peter II, Count of Savoy Gave his name to the Savoy Palace, which stood on the site of the road
Savoy Row – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Steps – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Street – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Way – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Sawyer Street – after Bob Sawyer, a character in the novel The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, by association with Dickens Square [Southwark]
Scoresby Street – unknown; formerly York Street [Southwark]
Scotland Place – site of a house used by visiting monarchs of Scotland until the 13th century [Westminster]
Scovell Crescent – after the Scovells, local business family [Southwark]
Scovell Road – after the Scovells, local business family [Southwark]
Seaford Street – thought to be named for Seaford in Sussex [Bloomsbury]
Seaforth Place – after Seaforth in Scotland, by association with the London Scottish (regiment) formerly bases nearby [Westminster]
Sebastian Street – after Lewis Sebastian, former Master of the Worshipful Company of Skinners and chairman of the governors of Northampton Polytechnic (now City University) [Clerkenwell]
Secker Street - after Thomas Secker, Archbishop of Canterbury 1758-68, by connection with the nearby Lambeth Palace [Waterloo]
Sedding Street – after John Dando Sedding, designer of the nearby Holy Trinity, Sloane Street church [Belgravia]
Sedley Place – named after Angelo Sedley, local 19th century furniture salesman [Mayfair]
Seething Lane – formerly Shyvethenestrat and Sivethenelane, deriving from Old English sifetha, meaning chaff/siftings, after the local corn threshing [City of London]
Sekforde Street – after Thomas Seckford, Elizabethan court official, who left land nearby in his will for the building of an almshouse [Clerkenwell]
Selwyn Avenue Richmond upon Thames William Selwyn Owned, and lived near, the land on which the road was later built; contributed to the founding of nearby church St John the Divine, Richmond.
Semley Place – after local landowners the Grosvenors (titled Viscounts Belgrave), who owned a property called Semley [Belgravia]
Serjeants Inn – after the former Serjeant's Inn located here before the Blitz [City of London]
Serle Street – after Henry Serle, who built the street in the 1680s [Holborn]
Sermon Lane – thought to be after Adam la Sarmoner, 13th century landowner [City of London]
Serpentine Walk - as it leads to The Serpentine lake in Hyde Park [Belgravia]
Seven Dials and Seven Dials Court – after the seven dials on the sundial column, and the seven adjoining streets; laid out by Thomas Neal in 1693 [Covent Garden]
Seven Dials WC2 - The work of building Seven Dials had begun in 1693, on what was then called Cock-and-pie Fields taken from a nearby inn. Thomas Neale undertook the task of making a great junction, and, in the centre he erected a pillar with seven dials, one for each of the streets at the junction. In 1733 the pillar was taken down as there was believed to be a fortune lodged at the base, but no money was found, and the pillar was transported to Weybridge in Surrey. Good news it was returned to the original spot just a couple of years ago.
Seville Street – unknown; it was formerly Charles Street, after Charles Lowndes of the local landowning Lowndes family [Belgravia]
Seward Street – after Edward Seward, who owned a dyeworks here in the 18th century [Finsbury]
Seymour Gardens Hounslow Nearby streets have a Henry VIII/Elizabeth I connection. Elizabeth spent part of her childhood at Hanworth Manor nearby. The third wife of King Henry VIII.
Seymour Mews, Seymour Place and Seymour Street – after Anne Seymour, mother of Henry William Portman, and through whom he inherited the estate [Marylebone]
Shaftesbury Avenue Westminster Anthony Ashley-Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury Shaftesbury was an active philanthropist, and as a Member of Parliament he was responsible for several reforming acts designed to alleviate the suffering of the poor. The new Avenue replaced slum housing, and was finished in the year of his death, 1886.
Shafts Court – named after a maypole (or ‘shaft’) that formerly stood nearby at the junction of Leadenhall Street and St Mary Axe [City of London]
Shand Street – after Augustus Shand, member of local Board of Works in the late 19th century; it was formerly College Street, by association with the nearby Magdalen Street [Southwark]
Shaver’s Place – after Simon Osbaldeston, who built a gaming house here in the early 17th century. As Osbaldeston was formerly barber to Lord Chamberlain, local wits coined this name in jest at the ‘shaving’ going on at the games house [Soho]
Sheldon Street Croydon Gilbert Sheldon Archbishop of Canterbury (1663-1677) who lived at Croydon Palace, and is buried in Croydon Minster
Shelton Street – after William Shelton, who provided money for a local charitable school for the poor on nearby Parker Street in his will in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Shepherd Close – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Shepherd Market W1 - Builder/architect, Edward Shepherd, who had a hand in the building of Grosvenor and Cavendish Squares. He obtained permission to build a cattle market in May Fair in 1738, where every May a large fair was held around the cattle market. The annual fair gave its name to the area of Mayfair.
Shepherd Place – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Shepherd Street – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Sheraton Street – after Thomas Sheraton, noted furniture maker of the 18th century, who lived nearby [Soho]
Sherborne Lane – earlier Shirebourne Lane, alteration of the Medieval Shitteborelane, in reference to a public privy here [City of London]
Sherlock Mews – after the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes, who lived on Baker Street [Marylebone]
Sherwood Street – corruption of ‘Sherard’; Francis Sherard was a local developer in the late 17th century [Soho]
Shillibeer Place – after George Shillibeer, owner of a local coaching business in the 19th century [Marylebone]
Ship Tavern Passage – after the nearby Ship tavern [City of London]
Shoe Lane – as this lane formerly led to a shoe-shaped landholding/field [City of London]
Short Street – after local early 19th century carpenter Samuel Short [Waterloo]
Shorts Gardens – after the Short family, who owned a house near here in the 17th century; it was formerly Queen Street [Covent Garden]
Shouldham Street – after Molyneux Shuldham, 18th century naval officer [Marylebone]
Shroton Street – for the Baker family, assistants of local landowners the Portmans, who owned land in Shroton, Dorset [Lisson Grove]
Sicilian Avenue – this Italianate arch is built from Sicilian marble [Bloomsbury]
Siddons Lane – after 19th century actress Sarah Siddons, who lived nearby at Clarence Gate [Lisson Grove]
Sidmouth Mews – either for Sidmouth in Devon, then a fashionable resort town or Prime Minister Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth [Bloomsbury]
Sidmouth Street – either for Sidmouth in Devon, then a fashionable resort town or Prime Minister Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth [Bloomsbury]
Silk Street – thought to be named for its late 18th century builder, or the silk trade formerly located here [City of London]
Silver Place – unknown, possibly by association with the nearby Golden Square [Soho]
Simon Milton Square – after Simon Milton, late 20th century/early 21st century Conservative politician [Victoria]
Sise Lane – as it formerly led to St Benet Sherehog church, which was dedicated to St Osyth (later corrupted to Sythe, then Sise) [City of London]
Skinner Street – after the Worshipful Company of Skinners, who owned much of the surrounding land when the street was built in the 1810s [Clerkenwell]
Skinners Lane – after the fur trade that was former prevalent here; it was formerly Maiden Lane, after a local inn or shop [City of London]
Slingsby Place – after Sir William Slingsby, who purchased this land in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Sloane Gardens – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Sloane Square Kensington and Chelsea Hans Sloane His heirs owned the land on which the square and nearby Sloane Street are built.
Sloane Street – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Sloane Terrace – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Smart’s Place – probably from William Smart, a carpenter who lived near here in the early 18th century [Covent Garden]
Smith Square Westminster Sir James Smith/the Smith Family Owners of the land on which the square was built, c. 1726
Smithfield Street and West Smithfield – derives from the Old English ‘smooth-field’, a series of fields outside the City walls [City of London]
Smokehouse Yard – after the bacon stoves formerly located here [Farringdon]
Snow Hill and Snow Hill Court – formerly Snore Hill or Snowrehill, exact meaning unknown [City of London]
Soho Square – Soho was in times past open hunting ground, and it thought to have gained its name from the hunting cry of ‘soho!’; the square was formerly King Square, thought to be in honour of Charles II [Soho]
Soho Street – Soho was in times past open hunting ground, and it thought to have gained its name from the hunting cry of ‘soho!’; the square was formerly King Square, thought to be in honour of Charles II [Soho]
Sopwith Way Kingston upon Thames Thomas Sopwith Aviation pioneer who set up a factory near the east end of the road, where his earliest aircraft were made.
South Audley Street – after Mary Davies, heiress to Hugh Audley, who married Sir Thomas Grosvenor, thereby letting the local land fall into the Grosvenors' ownership [Mayfair]
South Carriage Drive – after the carriage which formerly used this path [Belgravia]
South Eaton Place - after local landowners the Grosvenors (titled Viscounts Belgrave), whose family seat is Eaton Hall, Cheshire [Belgravia]
South Lambeth Place - refers to a harbour where lambs were either shipped from or to. It is formed from the Old English 'lamb' and 'hythe'. [Vauxhall]
South Molton Lane – unknown; South Molton Lane was formerly Poverty Lane [Mayfair]
South Molton Street – unknown; South Molton Lane was formerly Poverty Lane [Mayfair]
South Place and South Place Mews – named as it is south of Moorfields [City of London]
South Square – from its location in the south of Gray's Inn [Holborn]
South Street – after its location as the southern-most street on the Grosvenor estate [Mayfair]
Southampton Buildings – after Southampton House which formerly stood here, built for the bishops of Lincoln in the 12th century and later acquired by the earls of Southampton [City of London]
Southampton Buildings WC1 - Here once stood the house of the 4th Earl of Southampton son of Shakespeare's patron. In 1638 he replaced the house with tenements on the land now known as Southampton Buildings, he moved to a new mansion in Bloomsbury named Southampton House, built where Southampton Place now stands.
Southampton Place – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century [Bloomsbury]
Southampton Row – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century [Holborn]
Southampton Row – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century. Particularly after Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton Landowner. [Bloomsbury]
Southampton Street – after the earls of Southampton, who owned Southampton House in Bloomsbury in the 16th century; Edward Russell, 3rd Earl of Bedford and local landowner married a daughter and heiress of the Southamptons, and this street was named in her/their honour [Covent Garden]
Southampton Street Camden Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton Landowner.
Southwark Bridge – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Southwark Bridge Road – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Southwark Street – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Spafield Street – after a former spa on this site which closed in 1776 [Clerkenwell]
Spanish Place – nearby Hertford House on Manchester Square was formerly home to the Spanish ambassador [Marylebone]
Speed Highwalk – after John Speed, Stuart-era mapmaker, who is buried in the nearby St Giles-without-Cripplegate [City of London]
Speedy Place – after the Speedy family, landlords of the former nearby pub the Golden Boot [Bloomsbury]
Spencer Street – after local landowners (dating back to the 17th century) the Compton family, earls and later marquises of Northampton, one of whom was cousins with Spencer Perceval
Spenser Street – after the poet Edmund Spenser, who lived nearby [Westminster]
Spitalfields E1 - In 1197, Mr Walter Brune, a Londoner, founded in the fields just east of Bishopsgate a large hospital for poor brethren of the order of St. Austin; Spring Gardens Westminster After the 17th century pleasure grounds of this name which formerly lay on this site; they were closed in 1660
Spring Gardens – after the 17th century pleasure grounds of this name which formerly lay on this site; they were closed in 1660 [St James's]
Spurgeon Street – after Charles Spurgeon, noted Victorian-era preacher [Southwark]
St Agnes Well – after an ancient well thought to have been located about 200 metres to the east, at the junction of Old Street and Great Eastern Street. Remnants of the well can be found within Old Street station. [Finsbury]

St Albans Court – after the adjacent St Alban, Wood Street church, of which only the tower now remains [City of London]
St Alban's Street – after Henry Jermyn, 1st Earl of Saint Albans, 17th century politician and local landowner [St James's]
St Alphage Garden – after the adjacent St Alphege London Wall church, now surviving only in ruins [City of London]
St Alphage Highwalk – after the adjacent St Alphege London Wall church, now surviving only in ruins [City of London]
St Andrew Street – after the adjacent St Andrew’s Church [City of London]
St Andrew’s Hill – after the adjacent St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe church [City of London]
St Andrew’s Place – after the later William IV, Duke of St Andrews, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV) [Regent’s Park]
St Ann’s Lane – after a former chapel dedicated to St Anne that formerly stood here [Westminster]
St Ann’s Street – after a former chapel dedicated to St Anne that formerly stood here [Westminster]
St Anne's Court – after the surrounding parish of St Anne’s and the church, named after Saint Anne [Soho]
St Anselm’s Place – former site of St Anselm’s church, demolished 1938 [Mayfair]
St Barnabas Street – after the nearby Church of St Barnabas, Pimlico [Belgravia]
St Benet’s Place – after the former St Benet Gracechurch which stood near here; destroyed in the Great Fire, its replacement was then demolished in 1868 [City of London]
St Botolph Row – after the adjacent St Botolph's Aldgate church [City of London]
St Botolph Street – after the adjacent St Botolph's Aldgate church [City of London]
St Bride Street – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Bride’s Avenue – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Bride’s Passage – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Chad’s Place – after the nearby St Chad’s well, reputed to be a medieval holy well; St Chad was a 7th-century bishop [Clerkenwell]
St Chad’s Street – after the nearby St Chad’s well, reputed to be a medieval holy well; St Chad was a 7th-century bishop [Bloomsbury]
St Christopher’s Place – Octavia Hill, social reformer, cleared the slums of this area and named it in honour of St Christopher; formerly it was Barrett's Court, after Thomas Barret, local 18th century landowner [Marylebone]
St Clare Street – after a former church/convent here of the Little Sisters of St Clare [City of London]
St Clement’s Court – after the adjacent St Clement's, Eastcheap church [City of London]
St Cross Street – originally Cross Street, as it crossed land belonging to the Hatton family; the ‘St’ was added in 1937 to avoid confusion with numerous streets of the same name [Hatton Garden]
St Dunstan’s Alley – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Court – after the nearby St Dunstan-in-the-West church [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Hill – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Lane – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Erkenwald Road Barking and Dagenham Saint Erkenwald Saint and Bishop of London who founded Barking Abbey to the west of the road
St Ermin’s Hill – thought to be a corruption of Hermit Hill, or possibly after St Ermin/Armel, 6th century monk [Westminster]
St George Street – originally George Street, after George I, reigning monarch when the street was built; the ‘St’ was later added to link it to the nearby St George’s church [Mayfair]
St George’s Circus – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Southwark]
St George’s Drive, St George’s Square and St George’s Square Mews – after the manor of St George’s, Hanover Square which originally stretched to the Thames, and was named for George I [Victoria]
St George’s Mews – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Lambeth]
St George’s Road – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Lambeth]
St George's Circus – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Waterloo]
St Georges Court – after the former St George Botolph Lane church nearby, demolished in 1904 [City of London]
St Giles Circus – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]
St Giles High Street – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]
St Giles Passage – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]Scala Street – after the Scala theatre which formerly stood here [Fitzrovia]
St Giles Terrace – after the adjacent St Giles-without-Cripplegate church [City of London]
St Helen’s Place – after the adjacent St Helen's Church, Bishopsgate and former priory here of the same name [City of London]
St Helena Street – believed to be named after St Helena, in commemoration of Napoleon’s exile there in 1815 [Clerkenwell]
St James’s Market, St James’s Place, St James's Square, St James’s Street and Little St James’s Street – the site of St James’s Palace was originally the site of St James’s leper hospital in the Middle Ages, named after James, son of Zebedee [St James's]
St James’s Passage – after St James Duke's Place church, demolished 1874 [City of London]
St James’s Walk – after the adjacent St James's Church, Clerkenwell [Clerkenwell]
St John Square – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Clerkenwell]
St John Street – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Clerkenwell]
St John’s Lane, St John’s Path, St John’s Place, St John’s Square and St John Street – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Farringdon]
St John’s Wood Road – this land was in Medieval times owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem [Lisson Grove]
St John's Wood NW8 - Part of the forest of Middlesex now known as St Johns Wood was in the manor of Lilestone (Lisson). It was in the reign of Edward I that a gift of the woods was made from Otho, son of William de Lileston to the Knights Templers, and later passed to the Knights Hospitallers of St Johns of Jerusalem, when it became St Johns Wood and has so remained ever since.
St Katherine’s Precinct – after the former Anglican chapel of St Katharine's Hospital, which retains its original dedication to Saint Katharine, and was built in 1826-8 (now the Danish Church) [Regent’s Park]
St Katherine’s Row – after the St Katherine Coleman church, demolished in 1926 [City of London]
St Luke’s Close – after the adjacent St Luke Old Street church [Finsbury]
St Margaret Street – after the nearby St Margaret's, Westminster [Westminster]
St Margaret’s Close – after the adjacent St Margaret Lothbury church [City of London]
St Margaret's Court – named for the former St Margaret’s church here; it was for a period known as Fishmonger’s Alley, as it belonged to the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers [Southwark]
St Martin’s Court, St Martin’s Courtyard and Saint Martin’s Lane, St Martin-in-the-Fields Church Path and St Martin’s Place – after St Martin-in-the-Fields church adjacent [Covent Garden]
St Martin’s le Grand – after a former church of this name here, demolished in 1538 [City of London]
St Martin’s Place – named after St Martin-in-the-Fields church [Soho]
St Martin’s Street – named after St Martin-in-the-Fields church [Soho]
St Mary at Hill – after the St Mary-at-Hill church here [City of London]
St Mary Axe – after the former Church of St Mary Axe here, demolished in the 1500s [City of London]
St Mary's Gardens – after the parish of St Mary’s, Lambeth [Lambeth]
St Matthew Street – after St Matthew's Church, Westminster; it was formerly Duck Lane, as ducks were reared here [Westminster]
St Michael’s Alley – after the adjacent St Michael, Cornhill church [City of London]
St Mildred’s Court – after the former St Mildred, Poultry church, demolished 1872 [City of London]
St Olaf Stairs – probably for the former St Olave’s grammar school located here [Southwark]
St Olave’s Court – after the former St Olave Old Jewry church here, of which only the tower remains [City of London]
St Olave's Gardens – after the local parish of Southwark St Olave [Lambeth]
St Oswulf Street - as this areas was formerly part of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex; Oswulf was Saxon-era chief here [Westminster]
St Paul’s Churchyard – after the adjacent St Paul’s Cathedral; the churchyard was formerly far more extensive, but has since been built over [City of London]
St Peter’s Alley – after the adjacent St Peter upon Cornhill church [City of London]
St Swithins Lane – after the former St Swithin, London Stone, largely destroyed in the Blitz and later demolished [City of London]
St Thomas Street – after St Thomas’ Hospital, formerly located here [Southwark]
St Vincent Street – after the nearby school founded by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul [Marylebone]
Stable Yard – as they leads to the stables of St James's Palace [St James's]
Stable Yard Road – as they leads to the stables of St James's Palace [St James's]
Stacey Street – after John Stacey, local landowner in the 16th century [St Gile's]
Stafford Place – after Viscount Stafford, who lived in a house adjacent in the 17th century [Westminster]
Stafford Street W1 - Named after Margaret Stafford local leaseholder in the late 17th century and partner of developer Sir Thomas Bond who built on this site in the seventeenth century.
Stag Place SW1 - The old brewhouse of the Westminster Abbey moved here after the dissolution of the monasteries in the sixteenth century. Later known as the Stag Brewery, was demolished in 1959,
Stainer Street – after John Stainer, prominent Victorian-era organist [Southwark]
Staining Lane – from Saxon-era ‘Staeninga haga’, meaning place owned by the people of Staines [City of London]
Stalbridge Street – for the Baker family, assistants of local landowners the Portmans, who owned land in Stalbridge, Dorset [Lisson Grove]
Stamford Street – after Stamford, Lincolnshire, hometown of John Marshall, local benefactor and churchman [Waterloo]
Stanhope Gate – after Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, who owned a mansion nearby in the 18th century [Mayfair]
Stanhope Row – after Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, who owned a mansion nearby in the 18th century [Mayfair]
Stanhope Street - as this land was formerly owned by Dukes of Bedford; Francis Russell, 7th Duke of Bedford was married to Anna Russell, Duchess of Bedford, daughter of Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington [Regent’s Park]
Stanley Crescent and Stanley Gardens Kensington and Chelsea Edward Stanley, 2nd Baron Stanley of Alderley President of the Board of Trade at the time the road was built.
Stannary Place - as it formed part of the manor of Kennington, which belonged to the Duchy of Cornwall, who also owned land around the stannary towns of Cornwall and Devon [Kennington];
Stannary Street was formerly Kennington Place [Kennington]
Staple Inn and Staple Inn Buildings – after the adjacent Staple Inn [City of London]
Star Alley – after a former inn here of this name [City of London]
Star Yard – after the former Starre Tavern here [Holborn]
Starcross Street – formerly Exmouth Street, it was renamed after the town of this name in Devon to avoid confusion with similarly named streets [Regent’s Park]
Station Approach Road – as it leads to Waterloo station [Waterloo]
Stationer’s Hall Court – after the adjacent hall of the Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers [City of London]
Stephen Mews and Stephen Street – after Stephen Lemaistre, business partner of local resident Peter Gaspard Gresse in the 1760s [Fitzrovia]
Stephenson Way – after Robert Stephenson, Victoria-era builder of the adjacent Euston station [Regent’s Park]
Sterry Street – after the Sterry family, local business owners in the 18th-19th centuries [Southwark]
Steve Biko Way Hounslow Steve Biko South African anti-apartheid activist
Stew Lane – after a former stew (hot bath) here [City of London]
Stillington Street – after Robert Stillington, Bishop of Bath in the 15th century [Westminster]
Stone House Court – after a former medieval building here called the Stone House [City of London]
Stonecutter Street – after the former stonecutting trade that took place here [City of London]
Stones End Street – as this marked the pointed where the paved surface of Borough High Street ended in former times [Southwark]
Stoney Lane – simply a descriptive name, streets typically being mud tracks in former times [City of London]
Stoney Street – formerly Stony Lane, both simply descriptive names [Southwark]
Storey's Gate SW1 - Abraham Storey, one of Wren's master-masons, built Storey's gate that now remembers his name. After 17th century St James’s Park birdkeeper Edward Storey, who had a house near here
Strand – from Old English ‘stond’, meaning the edge of a river; the river Thames formerly reached here prior to the building of the Thames Embankment [Strand]
Strand Lane – from Old English ‘stond’, meaning the edge of a river; the river Thames formerly reached here prior to the building of the Embankment [Covent Garden]
Stratford Place – after Edward Stratford, who owned a house nearby and built this street in the 1770s [Marylebone]
Stratton Street – after John Berkeley, 3rd Baron Berkeley of Stratton, local resident in the late 17th century [Mayfair]
Streatham Street – after Streatham, where local landowners the dukes of Bedford also owned property [Bloomsbury]
Strutton Ground – corruption of ‘Stourton’, from Stourton House where the local Dacre family lived [Westminster]
Strype Street E1 - John Strype,the son of a Huguenot weaver, was born here in 1643. He became an antiquary, historian and a parson.
Studio Place – as this are was home to many artists’ studios in the early 20th century [Belgravia]
Stukeley Street – after William Stukeley, clergyman and archaeologist, who lived nearby in the 18th century [Covent Garden]
Suffolk Lane – after a former house here belonging to the dukes of Suffolk [City of London]
Suffolk Place – after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site [Soho]
Suffolk Street – after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site [Soho]
Sumner Buildings – after Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester in the 19th century [Southwark]
Sumner Road, Harrow Part of a cluster of streets named after teachers and headmasters of Harrow School: Robert Carey Sumner (1760–1771).
Sumner Street – after Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester in the 19th century [Southwark]
Sun Street – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Sun Street Passage – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Surrey Row – after the traditional county here of Surrey [Southwark]
Surrey Steps – built on the site of Arundel House, owned by the Howard family who had a branch holding the earldom of Surrey [Holborn]
Surrey Street – built on the site of Arundel House, owned by the Howard family who had a branch holding the earldom of Surrey [Holborn]
Sussex Place – after Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV) [Regent’s Park]
Sussex Street – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate; as the last of their lands to be developed they had seemingly run out of eponymous names from themselves, so they chose various pleasant-sounding aristocratic titles, of which this is one [Victoria]
Sutherland Row – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate, several members of whom married into the Duke of Sutherland family [Victoria]
Sutherland Street – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate, several members of whom married into the Duke of Sutherland family [Victoria]
Sutton Row – Thomas Belasyse, 1st Viscount Fauconberg owned a house here in the 17th century – his country house was Sutton House in Chiswick [Soho]
Swallow Passage – after a field on this site owned by Thomas Swallow in the 1530s [Mayfair]
Swallow Place – after a field on this site owned by Thomas Swallow in the 1530s [Mayfair]
Swallow Street Westminster Thomas Swallow Lessee of the pastures on which the road was built in 1540.
Swan Lane – after a former inn here called the Olde Swanne; formerly Ebbgate, after a watergate here [City of London]
Swan Street – after a former inn here of this name [Southwark]
Swedeland Court – after the former Swedish community based here [City of London]
Swinton Place – after local 18th century landowner James Swinton [Clerkenwell]
Swinton Street – after local 18th century landowner James Swinton [Clerkenwell]
Swiss Court – after the Swiss Centre that formerly stood here [Soho]
Sycamore Street – by association with the nearby Timber Street, or possibly after an inn of this name [Finsbury]


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Click here to go to a random London street
We now have 414 completed street histories and 47086 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Comment
MCNALLY    
Added: 17 May 2021 09:42 GMT   

Blackfriars (1959 - 1965)
I lived in Upper Ground from 1959 to 1964 I was 6 years old my parents Vince and Kitty run the Pub The Angel on the corner of Upper Ground and Bodies Bridge. I remember the ceiling of the cellar was very low and almost stretched the length of Bodies Bridge. The underground trains run directly underneath the pub. If you were down in the cellar when a train was coming it was quite frightening

Reply
Reply
Tom   
Added: 21 May 2021 23:07 GMT   

Blackfriars
What is, or was, Bodies Bridge?

Reply
Comment
Bruce McTavish   
Added: 11 Mar 2021 11:37 GMT   

Kennington Road
Lambeth North station was opened as Kennington Road and then Westminster Bridge Road before settling on its final name. It has a wonderful Leslie Green design.

Reply

Scott Hatton   
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT   

Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.

In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.

Reply
Comment
Steven Shepherd   
Added: 4 Feb 2021 14:20 GMT   

Our House
I and my three brothers were born at 178 Pitfield Street. All of my Mothers Family (ADAMS) Lived in the area. There was an area behind the house where the Hoxton Stall holders would keep the barrows. The house was classed as a slum but was a large house with a basement. The basement had 2 rooms that must have been unchanged for many years it contained a ’copper’ used to boil and clean clothes and bedlinen and a large ’range’ a cast iron coal/log fired oven. Coal was delivered through a ’coal hole’ in the street which dropped through to the basement. The front of the house used to be a shop but unused while we lived there. I have many more happy memories of the house too many to put here.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 14:31 GMT   

correction
Chaucer did not write Pilgrims Progress. His stories were called the Canterbury Tales

Reply
Comment
Jeff Owen   
Added: 20 Mar 2021 16:18 GMT   

Owen’s School
Owen Street is the site of Owen’s Boys’ School. The last school was built in 1881 and was demolished in the early 1990s to make way for the development which stand there today. It was a “Direct Grant” grammar school and was founded in 1613 by Dame Alice Owen. What is now “Owen’s Fields” was the playground between the old school and the new girls’ school (known then as “Dames Alice Owen’s School” or simply “DAOS”). The boys’ school had the top two floors of that building for their science labs. The school moved to Potters Bar in Hertfordshire in 1971 and is now one of the top State comprehensive schools in the country. The old building remained in use as an accountancy college and taxi-drivers’ “knowledge” school until it was demolished. The new building is now part of City and Islington College. Owen’s was a fine school. I should know because I attended there from 1961 to 1968.

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Jude Allen   
Added: 29 Jul 2021 07:53 GMT   

Bra top
I jave a jewelled item of clothong worn by a revie girl.
It is red with diamante straps. Inside it jas a label Bermans Revue 16 Orange Street but I cannot find any info online about the revue only that 16 Orange Street used to be a theatre. Does any one know about the revue. I would be intesrested to imagine the wearer of the article and her London life.

Reply
Comment
Kathleen   
Added: 28 Jul 2021 09:12 GMT   

Dunloe Avenue, N17
I was born in 1951,my grandparents lived at 5 Dunloe Avenue.I had photos of the coronation decorations in the area for 1953.The houses were rented out by Rowleys,their ’workers yard’ was at the top of Dunloe Avenue.The house was fairly big 3 bedroom with bath and toilet upstairs,and kitchenette downstairs -a fairly big garden.My Grandmother died 1980 and the house was taken back to be rented again

Reply
Comment
Kathleen   
Added: 28 Jul 2021 08:59 GMT   

Spigurnell Road, N17
I was born and lived in Spigurnell Road no 32 from 1951.My father George lived in Spigurnell Road from 1930’s.When he died in’76 we moved to number 3 until I got married in 1982 and moved to Edmonton.Spigurnell Road was a great place to live.Number 32 was 2 up 2 down toilet out the back council house in those days

Reply
Comment
Lewis   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 20:48 GMT   

Ploy
Allotment

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 14:31 GMT   

correction
Chaucer did not write Pilgrims Progress. His stories were called the Canterbury Tales

Reply
Comment
old lady   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 11:58 GMT   

mis information
Cheltenham road was originally
Hall road not Hill rd
original street name printed on house still standing

Reply
Comment
Patricia Bridges   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 10:57 GMT   

Lancefield Coachworks
My grandfather Tom Murray worked here

Reply
Lived here
Former Philbeach Gardens Resident   
Added: 14 Jul 2021 00:44 GMT   

Philbeach Gardens Resident (Al Stewart)
Al Stewart, who had huts in the 70s with the sings ’Year of the Cat’ and ’On The Borders’, lived in Philbeach Gdns for a while and referenced Earl’s Court in a couple of his songs.
I lived in Philbeach Gardens from a child until my late teens. For a few years, on one evening in the midst of Summer, you could hear Al Stewart songs ringing out across Philbeach Gardens, particularly from his album ’Time Passages". I don’t think Al was living there at the time but perhaps he came back to see some pals. Or perhaps the broadcasters were just his fans,like me.
Either way, it was a wonderful treat to hear!

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
All Hallows Bread Street All Hallows Bread Street was a parish church in the Bread Street ward of the City of London.
Alsatia Alsatia was the name given to an area lying north of the River Thames covered by the Whitefriars monastery.
City Temple The City Temple is a Nonconformist church on Holborn Viaduct.
City Thameslink City Thameslink is a central London railway station within the City of London, with entrances on Ludgate Hill and Holborn Viaduct.
Fleet Market The Fleet Market was a market erected in 1736 on the newly culverted River Fleet.
Mermaid Tavern The Mermaid Tavern was a notable tavern during the Elizabethan era.
St Andrew The Church of St Andrew, Holborn stands within the Ward of Farringdon Without.
St Augustine Watling Street St Augustine, Watling Street was an Anglican church which stood just to the east of St Paul’s Cathedral.
St Bartholomew’s Hospital St Bartholomew’s Hospital, also known simply as Barts and later more formally as The Royal Hospital of St Bartholomew, is a hospital located at Smithfield in the City of London and founded in 1123.
St Gregory by St Paul’s St Gregory’s by St Paul’s was a parish church in the Castle Baynard ward of the City of London.
St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street was a church in Castle Baynard ward of the City of London, located on the corner of Old Fish Street and Old Change, on land now covered by post-War development.
St Mary Mounthaw St Mary Mounthaw or Mounthaut was a parish church in Old Fish Street Hill.
St Mary Somerset St. Mary Somerset was a church in the City of London first recorded in the twelfth century. Destroyed in the Great Fire, it was one of the 51 churches rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren.
St Matthew Friday Street St. Matthew Friday Street was a church in the City of London located on Friday Street, off Cheapside.
St Michael Queenhithe St. Michael Queenhithe was a church in the City of London located in what is now Upper Thames Street.
St Michael-le-Querne St Michael-le-Querne, also called St Michael ad Bladum, was a parish church in the Farringdon Within Ward in the City of London.
St Mildred, Bread Street The church of St Mildred, Bread Street, stood on the east side of Bread Street in the Bread Street Ward of the City of London.
St Nicholas Cole Abbey St. Nicholas Cole Abbey is a church in the City of London located on what is now Queen Victoria Street.
St Peter, Paul’s Wharf St Peter, Paul’s Wharf, was a parish church in the City of London.
St Peter, Westcheap St Peter, Westcheap, sometimes known simply as ’St Peter Cheap’, was a parish church in the City of London.
Thavie’s Inn Thavie’s Inn was a former Inn of Chancery, associated with Lincoln’s Inn, established at Holborn, near the site of the present side street and office block still known as Thavies Inn Buildings.

NEARBY STREETS
Addle Hill, EC4V Addle Hill, formerly Addle Street, originally ran from Upper Thames Street from Carter Lane.
Albion Way, EC1A Albion Way is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Amen Corner, EC4M Originally called Amen Lane, this short path forms the approach road to Amen Court.
Amen Court, EC4M Many of the highways and byways around the precincts of St Paul’s Cathedral bear names which have ecclesiastical origins.
Angel Street, EC1A Angel Street runs between King Edward Street in the west and St. Martin’s Le Grand in the east.
Apothecary Street, EC4V Apothecary Street - the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries is nearby.
Ashentree Court, EC4Y Ashentree Court was named after the ashen trees formerly located here at the Whitefriars’ monastery.
Ave Maria Lane, EC4M Ave Maria Lane is the southern extension of Warwick Lane, between Amen Corner and Ludgate Hill.
Barnard’s Inn, EC4A Barnard’s Inn lies near Holborn Circus.
Bartlett’s Buildings, EC4A Bartlett’s Buildings was the name of a street situated off of Holborn Circus
Bear Alley, EC4A Bear Alley is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Bishop’s Court, EC4M Bishop?s Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Black Friars Lane, EC4V Black Friars Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Blackfriars Bridge, EC4V Blackfriars Bridge is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Blackfriars Lane, EC4V Blackfriars Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Blackfriars Underpass, EC4V Blackfriars Underpass is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Blackfriars Underpass, EC4Y Blackfriars Underpass is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Bolt Court, EC4A Bolt Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Bouverie Street, EC4Y Bouverie Street is named for the Pleydell-Bouveries, Earls of Radnor, who were landowners in this area.
Bread Street, EC4M Bread Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Breams Buildings, EC4A Breams Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Brick Court, EC4Y Brick Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Bride Court, EC4Y Bride Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Bride Lane, EC4Y Bride Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Bridewell Place, EC4V Bridewell Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Broken Wharf, EC4V Broken Wharf is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Bull and Mouth Street, EC2V Bull and Mouth Street ran between King Edward Street and St Martin’s Le Grand.
Burgon Street, EC4V Burgon Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Cannon Street, EC4M This is a street in the EC4M postcode area
Carey Lane, EC2V Carey Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Carmelite Street, EC4Y Carmelite Street continues south from Whitefriars Street, which itself is just off Fleet Street.
Carter Lane, EC4M Carter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Carter Lane, EC4V Carter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Church Entry, EC4V Church Entry is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Cliffords Inn Passage, EC4Y Cliffords Inn Passage is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Cliffords Inn, EC4A Cliffords Inn is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Cock Lane, EC1A Cock Lane leads from Giltspur Street in the east to Snow Hill in the west.
Crane Court, EC4Y Crane Court lay beside the Two Crane Inn Tavern.
Creed Court, EC4M Creed Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Creed Lane, EC4V Creed Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Crown Office Row, EC4Y Crown Office Row is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Deans Court, EC4V Deans Court is directly opposite the south west corner of St Paul’s Cathedral, on the south side of St Paul’s Churchyard.
Distaff Lane, EC4V Distaff Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Doctor Johnsons Buildings, EC4Y Doctor Johnsons Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Dorset Rise, EC4Y Dorset Rise is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Drive Johnsons Buildings, EC4Y Drive Johnsons Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Dyer’s Buildings, EC1N This is a street in the EC1N postcode area
East Harding Street, EC4A This is a street in the EC4A postcode area
East Market, EC2Y East Market is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Falcon Court, EC4Y Falcon Court is a courtyard off the south side of Fleet Street between Chancery Lane and Fetter Lane.
Farringdon Road, EC1A Farringdon Road is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Farringdon Road, EC4V Farringdon Road is a road in the EC4P postcode area
Farringdon Road, EC4V Farringdon Road is a road in the EC4A postcode area
Farringdon Street, EC1A The building of Farringdon Street is considered one of the greatest urban engineering achievements of the 19th century.
Farringdon Street, EC4M Farringdon Street was constructed over the Fleet river.
Fetter Lane, EC4A Fetter Lane is corrupted from ’Fautre’ which was the name for a spear rest - spears were made close by.
Fleet Place, EC4M Fleet Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Fleet Street, EC4A Fleet Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Fleet Street, EC4Y Fleet Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Foster Lane, EC2V Foster Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Fosterrace Lane, EC2V A street within the EC2V postcode
Friday Street, EC4V Friday Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Friday Street, EC4V Friday Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Furnival Street, EC4A Furnival Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Giltspur Street, EC1A Giltspur Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Godliman Street, EC4M Godliman Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Goldsmith Street, EC2V Goldsmith Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Gough Square, EC4A Gough Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Great New Street, EC4A Great New Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Groveland Court, EC4M Groveland Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Gunpowder Square, EC4A Gunpowder Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Gutter Lane, EC2V Gutter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Harcourt Buildings, EC4Y Harcourt Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Hare Court, EC4Y Hare Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Hare Place, EC4Y Hare Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Harmsworth House, EC4Y Harmsworth House lies near the Inner Temple
Hat and Mitre Court, EC4Y Hat and Mitre Court is a road in the EC1M postcode area
Haven Road, RM13 Haven Road is a location in London.
High Timber Street, EC4V High Timber Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Hind Court, EC4Y Hind Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Holborn Circus, EC1N Holborn Circus is a junction of five highways in the City of London, on the boundary between Holborn, Hatton Garden and Smithfield.
Holborn Viaduct, EC1A Holborn Viaduct is a road bridge in London and the name of the street which crosses it.
Holborn, EC1N Holborn commemorates the River Fleet, also known as the Holbourne stream.
Hood Court, EC4Y Hood Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Hosier Lane, EC1A Hosier Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Inner Temple Lane, EC4Y Inner Temple Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Inner Temple, EC4A Inner Temple is a location in London.
Ireland Yard, EC4V Ireland Yard is an alleyway leading off of Playhouse Yard.
John Carpenter Street, EC4Y John Carpenter was town clerk of the City of London in the fifteenth century, and founder of the City of London School.
King Edward Street, EC1A King Edward Street runs from Newgate Street in the south to Little Britain in the north.
King’s Bench Walk Temple, EC4Y A street within the EC4Y postcode
King’s Bench Walk, EC4Y King?s Bench Walk is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Kings Bench Walk, EC4Y Kings Bench Walk is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Knightrider Court, EC4V Knightrider Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Knightrider Street, EC4V Knightrider Street was supposedly a route that knights would take from the Tower of London to Smithfield, where jousts were held.
Lamb Building, EC4Y Lamb Building is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Lambeth Hill, EC4V Lambeth Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Limeburner Lane, EC4M Limeburner Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Little Britain, EC1A Little Britain is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Little Britain, EC1M Little Britain is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Little New Street, EC4A Little New Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Little Trinity Lane, EC4V Little Trinity Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Ludgate Broadway, EC4M Ludgate Broadway is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Ludgate Circus, EC4M Ludgate Circus is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Ludgate Square, EC4M Ludgate Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Magpie Alley, EC4Y Magpie Alley marks the position occupied by the dorter (dormitory) of the Friary of the Blessed Virgin of Mount Carmel, commonly called the Whitefriars Monastery
Masters House Temple Church, EC4Y Masters House Temple Church is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Millennium Bridge, EC4V Millennium Bridge is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Mitre Court Buildings, EC4Y Mitre Court Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
New Bridge Street, EC4V New Bridge Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
New Change, EC2V A street within the EC2V postcode
New Change, EC4M New Change is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
New Court, EC4V New Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
New Fetter Lane, EC1N New Fetter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
New Fetter Lane, EC4A New Fetter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
New Street Square, EC4A New Street Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Newgate Street, EC1A Newgate Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Noble Street, EC2V Noble Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Norwich Street, EC4A Norwich Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Oat Lane, EC2V Oat Lane has been marked on London maps since 1600 and before.
Old Bailey, EC1A Old Bailey is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Old Bailey, EC4M Old Bailey is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Old Change Court, EC4V Old Change Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Old Mitre Court, EC4Y Old Mitre Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Old Seacoal Lane, EC4M Old Seacoal Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Pageantmaster Court, EC4M Pageantmaster Court was Ludgate Court and renamed in the summer of 1993.
Paper Buildings Temple, EC4Y Paper Buildings Temple is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Paper Buildings, EC4Y Paper Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Paternoster Row, EC4M Paternoster Row is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Paternoster Square, EC4M Paternoster Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Paul’s Walk, EC4V Paul’s Walk is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Pemberton Row, EC4A Sir James Pemberton was Lord Mayor of London in 1611, and a member of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths.
Peter’s Hill, EC4V Peter’s Hill is the northern access to the Millennium Bridge.
Pilgrim Street, EC4M Pilgrim Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Playhouse Yard, EC4V Playhouse Yard is named after the Blackfriars theatre which stood here in Shakespeare’s time and where his play’s were performed.
Pleydell Street, EC4Y Pleydell Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Plough Place, EC4A Plough Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Ploughs Place, EC4A Ploughs Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Plowden Buildings, EC4Y Plowden Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Plumtree Court, EC4A Plumtree Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Poppins Court, EC4A Poppins Court is an historic alley off Fleet Street.
Priest’s Court, EC2V Priest?s Court is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Priory Court, EC4M Priory Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Puddle Dock, EC4V Puddle Dock is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Quadrant Court, EC4M A street within the EC4M postcode
Quadrant Court, EC4M A street within the EC4M postcode
Queen Isabella Way, EC1A Queen Isabella Way is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Queen Victoria Street, EC4V Queen Victoria Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4N postal area.
Queen Victoria Street, EC4V Queen Victoria Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Queenhithe, EC4V Queenhithe is a small and ancient ward of the City of London, situated by the River Thames and a minor street.
Red Lion Court, EC4A Red Lion Court forms part of labyrinth of little passages behind the shops on the north side of Fleet Street.
Rolls Buildings, EC4A Rolls Buildings is a road in the WC2A postcode area
Rose Street, EC4M Rose Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Salisbury Court, EC4Y Salisbury Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Salisbury Square, EC4Y Salisbury Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Serjeants Inn, EC4Y Serjeants Inn is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Shoe Lane, EC4A Shoe Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Snow Hill, EC1A Snow Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
St Andrew Street, EC4A St Andrew Street is the northern extension of Shoe Lane.
St Andrews Hill, EC4V St Andrews Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
St Ann’s Lane, EC2V St Ann’s Lane was the name for the west end of Gresham Street until the 1860s.
St Bride Street, EC4A St Bride Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
St Brides Avenue, EC4Y St Brides Avenue is a narrow alley which leaves Fleet Street almost opposite Shoe Lane.
St Martin’s Le Grand, EC2V St Martin’s Le Grand is a street north of Newgate Street and a former liberty within the City of London
St Paul’s Churchyard, EC4M By the beginning of the sixteenth century, St. Paul’s Churchyard was the chief centre of the book trade, not only for London, but for the whole country.
St. Bride Street, EC4A A street within the EC4A postcode
Stationers Hall Court, EC4M Stationers Hall Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Stew Lane, EC4V Stew Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Stonecutter Street, EC4A Stonecutter Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Tallis House 2 Tallis Street, EC4Y Tallis House 2 Tallis Street is a location in London.
Tallis Street, EC4Y This street honours Thomas Tallis, composer whose name is engraved on the façade of the nearby former building of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
Temple Avenue, EC4Y Temple Avenue is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Temple Chambers, EC4Y Temple Chambers is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Temple Gardens, EC4Y Temple Gardens is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Three Barrels Walk, EC4V Three Barrels Walk is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Trig Lane, EC4V A street within the EC4V postcode
Tudor Street, EC4Y Tudor Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Upper Cheapside Passage, EC2V A street within the EC2V postcode
Upper Thames Street, EC4V Upper Thames Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Victoria Embankment, EC4Y Victoria Embankment is part of the Thames Embankment scheme of 19th-century civil engineering that reclaimed land next to the River Thames.
Wardrobe Place, EC4V Wardrobe Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Warwick Lane, EC1A Warwick Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Warwick Lane, EC4M This is a street in the EC4P postcode area
Warwick Square, EC4M Warwick Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Watergate, EC4Y Watergate is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
White Lion Hill, EC4V White Lion Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Whitefriars Street, EC4Y Whitefriars Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Wine Office Court, EC4A Wine Office Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.

NEARBY PUBS
Balls Brothers Ltd This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Bottlescrue This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Corney & Barrow Wine Bars This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Corney & Barrow, Unit 3, Stock Exch This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Dado 54 This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Dirty Martini This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
El Vino Blackfriars This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
El Vino Fleet Street El Vino Fleet Street
Harrild and Sons This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Harry’s Bar & Pizzeria This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Inn of Court This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jamie’s Wine Bar and Restaurant This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jamies This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jamies This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Kanaloa This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Karaoke Box This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Le Paris Grill This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Magpie & Stump This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Mermaid Tavern The Mermaid Tavern was a notable tavern during the Elizabethan era.
Mermaid Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Patch This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Pegasus Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Punch Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Quarter Jacks, Grange St Pauls Hotel This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Reflex This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Rudd’s This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Searcy’s Champagne Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Shaws Booksellers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Slug and Lettuce This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
St Brides Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Albion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Blackfriar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bridewell Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Centre Page This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Cockpit This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Crown and Sugar Loaf This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Draft House This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Duke and Duchess This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Fable This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hack & Hop This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Harrow This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hoop & Grapes This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Lord Raglan This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Old Bell Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Paternoster This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Pepys This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Rising Sun This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Saint This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The White Swan This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Tipperary This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Viaduct Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Vino & Vino This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Voltaire, Crowne Plaza Hotel This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde Cock Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde London This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Zorita’s Kitchen This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


City of London

The City of London constituted most of London from its settlement by the Romans in the 1st century AD to the Middle Ages, but the conurbation has since grown far beyond its borders.

As the City's boundaries have remained almost unchanged since the Middle Ages, it is now only a tiny part of the metropolis of Greater London, though it remains a notable part of central London. It holds city status in its own right and is also a separate ceremonial county.

It is widely referred to as 'The City' (often written on maps as City and differentiated from the phrase 'the city of London') or 'the Square Mile' as it is 1.12 square miles in area. These terms are also often used as metonyms for the United Kingdom's financial services industry, which continues a notable history of being largely based in the City.

The local authority for the City, the City of London Corporation, is unique in the UK and has some unusual responsibilities for a local council, such as being the police authority. It also has responsibilities and ownerships beyond the City's boundaries. The Corporation is headed by the Lord Mayor of the City of London, an office separate from (and much older than) the Mayor of London.

The City is a major business and financial centre, ranking as the world's leading centre of global finance. Throughout the 19th century, the City was the world's primary business centre, and continues to be a major meeting point for businesses.

The City had a resident population of about 7000 in 2011 but over 300,000 people commute to it and work there, mainly in the financial services sector. The legal profession forms a major component of the northern and western sides of the City - especially in the Temple and Chancery Lane areas where the Inns of Court are located, of which two—Inner Temple and Middle Temple - fall within the City of London boundary.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Smithfield Market
TUM image id: 1620388545
Licence:
Amen Court, EC4M
TUM image id: 1493474208
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Farringdon Street, EC4M
TUM image id: 1530111130
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Hopton’s Almshouses
TUM image id: 1513445642
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Smithfield Market
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Tate Modern viewed from Thames pleasure boat (2003)
Credit: Christine Matthews
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Illustration of Fleet Market
Credit: William Henry Prior
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Amen Court, EC4M
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

At the southern end of Carmelite Street in the City of London stood the Victorian-era Whitefriars Fire Station.
Credit: Wiki Commons
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

View of Cloth Fair in 1884 showing the side entrance to St Bartholomew’s Priory, Smithfield.
Credit: John Crowther
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Farringdon Street, EC4M
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Hopton’s Almshouses
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Kirby Street sign
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Poppins Court EC4
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page