Ludgate Square, EC4M

Road in/near City of London

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51358 -0.10152, 51.513 -0.101) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · City of London · EC4M ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Ludgate Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.

0
A lot of the street information research on this website is academic in nature - from university research, the Survey of London, British History Online, borough conservation areas and more. Occasionally, the Hive Mind comes up trumps - these derivations come from discoveries on the Wikipedia made during 2019 which is feeding into the project.

If we find any derivations dubious here, we remove them. With that proviso, the TUM project provides them here for your enjoyment...

A-B-C D-E-F G-H-I J-K-L M-N-O P-Q-R S T-U-V W-X-Y-Z

Paddington Street – this was on old path leading to Paddington [Marylebone]
Page Street – after William Page, head of Westminster School 1814-19 [Westminster]
Paget Street – after Sir James Paget, 19th century surgeon, who had a clinic on nearby Friend Street [Clerkenwell]
Pakenham Street – after its builder the 3rd Lord Calthorpe, who owned land at Pakenham, Suffolk [Clerkenwell]
Palace Mews – probably by association with the nearby Buckingham Palace Road [Belgravia]
Palace Place – named by association with Buckingham Palace, originally built for John Sheffield, Duke of Buckingham [Westminster]
Palace Street – named by association with Buckingham Palace, originally built for John Sheffield, Duke of Buckingham [Westminster]
Pall Mall – laid out as a grounds for playing pall mall in the 17th century [St James's]
Pall Mall East – laid out as a grounds for playing pall mall in the 17th century [Soho]
Pall Mall Place – laid out as a grounds for playing pall mall in the 17th century [St James's]
Palmer Street – after the Reverend James Palmer, who founded (now demolished) almshouses near here in 1656 [Westminster]
Pancras Lane – after St Pancras, Soper Lane church which stood here until destroyed in the Great Fire; it was formerly Needlers Lane, after the needle making trade here [City of London]
Pancras Road – after the adjacent St Pancras Old Church, named for the Roman-era Christian matyr Pancras of Rome [Somers Town]
Panton Street – after Colonel Thomas Panton, local property dealer of the 17th century [Soho]
Panton Street WC2 - Colonel Thomas Panton, having made an enormous fortune out of gambling, decided never to gamble again. Instead he bought Shaver's Hall (named not from a barbers but from Lord Dunbar who lost £3,000 there at one sitting, whereon it was said a nothern lord was shaved there) which stood on the north-east corner of the Haymarket and Coventry Street, all the way down to present day Panton Street. He demolished the gambling hall to build over.
Panyer Alley – after a Medieval brewery here called the ‘panyer’ (basket) [City of London]
Pardon Street – after the Pardon Chapel which stood near here in the Middle Ages [Clerkenwell]
Pardoner Street – after the character of the pardoner in Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, by reference to the adjacent Pilgrimage Street [Southwark]
Paris Garden – the name of the former manor here, it may derive from ‘parish’ or the Old French ‘pareil’ (enclosure), or possibly after 15th century local family the de Parys [Waterloo]
Park Crescent – as they are adjacent to Regent's Park [Marylebone]
Park Crescent Mews East – as they are adjacent to Regent's Park [Marylebone]
Park Crescent Mews West – as they are adjacent to Regent's Park [Marylebone]
Park Lane, Old Park Lane and Park Street – after the nearby Hyde Park; Park Lane was formerly Tyburn Lane, after the Tyburn gibbet and stream, and Park Street was formerly Hyde Park Street [Mayfair]
Park Place – after the nearby Green Park [St James's]
Park Road – after the adjacent Regent’s Park [Lisson Grove]
Park Road – after the adjacent Regent’s Park [Regent’s Park]
Park Square - after the adjacent Regent’s Park [Regent’s Park]
Park Square East - after the adjacent Regent’s Park [Regent’s Park]
Park Square Mews - after the adjacent Regent’s Park [Regent’s Park]
Park Square West - after the adjacent Regent’s Park [Regent’s Park]
Park Street – after a former park here attached to Winchester House [Southwark]
Park Village East – after the adjacent Regent’s Park [Regent’s Park]
Park Village West – after the adjacent Regent’s Park [Regent’s Park]
Parker Mews and Parker Street – from Philip Parker, a local resident in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Parker Road Croydon Matthew Parker Archbishop of Canterbury (1559-1575) who lived at Croydon Palace
Parker Road Westminster Most Rev. Matthew Parker Archbishop of Canterbury from 1559 until 1575.
Parliament Square – after the Houses of Parliament [Westminster]
Parliament Street – after the Houses of Parliament [Westminster]
Parr Way Hounslow Catherine Parr. The sixth wife of King Henry VIII. Catherine inherited Hanworth Manor from 1544 until her death in 1548.
Parry Street – after Thomas Parry, 17th century statesman and owner of Copt Hall, a house near here [Vauxhall]
Passing Alley – altered from the descriptive Pissing Alley, renamed at some point prior to the 1790s [Farringdon]
Passmore Street – after its 1830s builder Richard Passmore [Belgravia]
Paternoster Lane, Paternoster Row and Paternoster Square – after the paternoster (rosary) makers who formerly worked here [City of London]
Paveley Street – this land was in Medieval times owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem; the street is named either for Richard de Paveley (Grand Prior 1315–21) or John de Paveley (Grand Prior 1358–71) [Lisson Grove]
Paxton Terrace – thought to be after Joseph Paxton, Victoria-era gardener and designer of The Crystal Palace [Victoria]
Peabody Avenue – after George Peabody, 19th century American philanthropist in London [Victoria]
Pear Tree Court – thought to be from a local pear tree [Clerkenwell]
Pear Tree Street – after the pear trees formerly grown here [Finsbury]
Peerless Street – site of the Peerless Pool, a bath used in the 18th century, thought to be a corruption of ‘perilous’ [Finsbury]
Pelham Crescent, Pelham Place and Pelham Street Kensington and Chelsea Henry Pelham, 3rd Earl of Chichester A former trustee of the Smith's Charity Estate, on which the road was built.
Pemberton Row – after James Pemberton, Lord Mayor of London in 1611 [City of London]
Pemberton Row City of London Sir James Pemberton Lord Mayor of London in 1611, and a member of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, on whose estate the road was built
Penfold Place and Penfold Street – after Reverend George Penfold, vicar of several local churches in the early 1800s [Lisson Grove]
Penton Rise – after Henry Penton, who developed this area in the late 18th century [Clerkenwell]
Pentonville Road – after Henry Penton, who developed this area in the late 18th century [Clerkenwell]
Pepys Street – after 17th century diarist Samuel Pepys, who lived and worked here [City of London]
Pepys Street City of London Samuel Pepys 1923 renaming; Pepys lived there during the Great Fire of London.
Percival Street – after local landowners (dating back to the 17th century) the Compton family, earls and later marquises of Northampton, one of whom was a cousin of Spencer Perceval [Clerkenwell]
Percy Circus – after Robert Percy Smith, 19th century MP who was a director of the New River Company who developed the area, including the circus.
Percy Passage – after either Hugh Percy, 1st Duke of Northumberland, changing his name from ‘Smithson’ to ‘Percy’ following his marriage to Elizabeth Percy, Duchess of Northumberland, landowner or the Percy Coffee House formerly located here in the 18th century [Fitzrovia]
Percy Street – after either Hugh Percy, 1st Duke of Northumberland, changing his name from ‘Smithson’ to ‘Percy’ following his marriage to Elizabeth Percy, Duchess of Northumberland, landowner or the Percy Coffee House formerly located here in the 18th century [Fitzrovia]
Percy Yard – after Robert Percy Smith, 19th century MP who was a director of the New River Company [Clerkenwell]
Perkin’s Rents – after a local landlord by the name of Perkin, recorded in the late 17th century [Westminster]
Peter Street – thought to be from a nearby saltpetre factory that stood here in the 17th century [Soho]
Peter’s Hill – after St Peter, Paul's Wharf church, which formerly stood here until destroyed in the 1666 fire [City of London]
Peter’s Lane – after the former St Peter’s Key pub on this site [Farringdon]
Peterborough Court – after the abbots of Peterborough, who prior to the Dissolution of the Monasteries had a house here [City of London]
Peter's Hill EC4 - Named after the church of the same name, built in the twelfth century. Burnt in the great fire of 1666, and not rebuilt. The churchyard today is remembered by an inscription on a modern wall.Piccadilly W1 - The name is taken from the collar or neckerchief called a piccdil, that was made by a tailor close by in the Haymarket.
Peter's Lane EC1 - Listed in Stow's Survay as St Peter's Lane, the church once stood close to the tavern called Cross Keys. Today a modern office block stands here but the sign lives on. Opposite the lane is the old site of Hicks Hall, the old Sessions house built by Sir Baptis Hicks in the seventeenth century.
Peto Place – after Samuel Morton Peto, MP, entrepreneur, civil engineer and railway developer, who paid for a Batist chapel to be built here in 1855 (since closed) [Regent’s Park]
Petticoat Square – the name Petticoat stems from the clothes market formerly held here [City of London]
Petty France – after a small French settlement that existed here in the 16th century [Westminster]
Petty Wales – unknown, but possibly after a Welsh community formerly based here [City of London]
Philpot Lane – commemorates prominent local family the Philpots; originally probably after John Philpot, 14th century grocer [City of London]
Phoenix Place and Phoenix Yard – after the former Phoenix Iron Foundry near here [Clerkenwell]
Phoenix Road – thought to be after a former tavern of this name; formerly Phoenix Street [Somers Town]
Phoenix Street – named after an inn that formerly stood near here [St Gile's]
Piccadilly – after Piccadilly Hall, home of local tailor Robert Baker in the 17th century, believed to be named after the pickadils (collars/hem trimmings) which made his fortune. [St James's]
Piccadilly Arcade – after Piccadilly Hall, home of local tailor Robert Baker in the 17th century, believed to be named after the pickadils (collars/hem trimmings) which made his fortune. [St James's]
Piccadilly Circus – after Piccadilly Hall, home of local tailor Robert Baker in the 17th century, believed to be named after the pickadils (collars/hem trimmings) which made his fortune. Piccadilly Circus was laid out by John Nash in 1819 [St James's]
Piccadilly Place – after Piccadilly Hall, home of local tailor Robert Baker in the 17th century, believed to be named after the pickadils (collars/hem trimmings) which made his fortune; it was laid out by John Nash in 1819 [Mayfair]
Pickard Street – after a clergyman of this name who founded the Orphan Working School here in 1754 [Finsbury]
Pickering Place SW1 - Hidden just behind Berry Brothers and Rudd is a quite and unspoilt Georgian corner of London. Built by William Pickering as a hide-a-way from his money making coffee company. William Pickering, local painter stainer and grocer, leased property here in the 1730s [St James's]
Pickwick Street – after the novel The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, by association with Dickens Square [Southwark]
Picton Place – after Thomas Picton, general who lived near here before his death at the Battle of Waterloo [Marylebone]
Pigott Street Tower Hamlets Francis Pigott Stainsby Conant Family owned the undeveloped estate. Limehouse.
Pilgrim Street – thought to be a former route for pilgrims to St Paul's cathedral; formerly known as Stonecutters Alley and Little Bridge Street [City of London]
Pilgrimage Street – as this formed part of the ancient pilgrimage route to Canterbury [Southwark]
Pimlico Road – as it leads to Pimlico, possibly named after Ben Pimlico, 17th century brewer [Belgravia]
Pindar Street – after Paul Pindar, 14th–16th century diplomat, who had a house here [City of London]
Pine Apple Court – after a former inn here of this name [Westminster]
Pine StreetWood Street prior to 1877, probably both names after an avenue of tree that formerly stood here, or possibly after Thomas Wood, 18th century leaseholder [Clerkenwell]
Pitt’s Head Mews – after a former pub on this site called the Pitt’s Head, thought to be name after William Pitt the Elder [Mayfair]
Plaisterers Highwalk – after the nearby Worshipful Company of Plaisterers [City of London]
Platt Street – after Richard Platt, 16th century brewer, who donated this land to the Worshipful Company of Brewers, who built this street in 1848-53 [Somers Town]
Playhouse Yard – after the Blackfriars Playhouse, which stood here in the 17th century [City of London]
Playhouse Yard EC4 - Named after the Blackfriars theatre which stood here in Shakespeare's time and where his play's were performed.
Plender Street Camden William Plender, 1st Baron Plender Accountant and public servant who served as Sheriff of the County of London in 1927
Pleydell Court and Pleydell Street – formerly Silver Street, it was renamed in 1848 by association with the neighbouring Bouverie Street; the Bouverie family were by this time known as the
Pleydell Street City of London Earls of Radnor The Pleydell-Bouveries, Earls of Radnor, were landlords of this area.
Plough Court EC3 - A tavern of the same name stood in it. The poet Alexander Pope was born here in 1688.
Plough Place – after the Plough/Plow, a 16th-century eating place located here [City of London]
Plumtree Court – thought to be after either literally a plumtree, or else an inn of this name [City of London]
Plympton Place and Plympton Street – unknown; formerly Little Grove Street [Lisson Grove]
Pocock Street – after the locally prominent Pocock family [Southwark]
Poland Street – from The King of Poland, former pub on this street named in honour of the Polish victory at the Battle of Vienna [Soho]
Pollen Street – after the Pollen family, who inherited the estate from the Maddox family [Mayfair]
Polperro Mews – probably after the Cornish town Polperro, as the Duchy of Cornwall formerly owned much of the land here [Lambeth]
Polygon Road – after the Polygon, a 17th century housing development here instigated by Jacob Leroux and Job Hoare [Somers Town]
Ponsonby Place – after John Ponsonby, 5th Earl of Bessborough and later Baron Duncannon of Bessborough [Westminster]
Ponsonby Terrace – after John Ponsonby, 5th Earl of Bessborough and later Baron Duncannon of Bessborough [Westminster]
Pont Street – thought to be from the French ‘pont’ (bridge), over the river Westbourne [Belgravia]
Pope’s Head Alley – after the Pope’s Head Tavern which formerly stood here, thought to stem from the 14th century Florentine merchants who were in Papal service [City of London]
Pope's Avenue Richmond upon Thames Alexander Pope Poet who had built the demolished Pope's Villa and surviving Pope's Grotto, and is buried in St Mary's Church, Twickenham.
Pope's Grove Richmond upon Thames Alexander Pope Poet who had built the demolished Pope's Villa and surviving Pope's Grotto, and is buried in St Mary's Church, Twickenham.
Poppins Court – shortening of Popinjay Court, meaning a parrot; it is thought to stem from the crest of Cirencester Abbey (which featured the bird), who owned a town house here [City of London]
Portal Close, Uxbridge Street built near the site of the former RAF Uxbridge, and named after an air marshal in the Second World War. Charles Portal was Chief of the Air Staff.
Porter Street – after David Porter, builder of the nearby Montagu Square [Marylebone]
Portland Mews – after William Bentinck, 2nd Duke of Portland, built in the 1730s [Soho]
Portland Place Westminster William Bentinck, 2nd Duke of Portland Margaret Bentinck, Duchess of Portland, the daughter of Edward Harley, 2nd Earl of Oxford and Earl Mortimer inherited his land and property and married into the Portland family
Portman Close, Portman Mews South, Portman Square and Portman Street – after the Portman family who owned this estate since William Portman acquired it in the 16th century; he was originally from Orchard Portman, Somerset [Marylebone]
Portman Gate – this land was formerly owned by the Portman estate [Lisson Grove]
Portman Square Westminster Henry William Portman Built between 1674 and 1684 on land belonging to Portman
Portpool Lane – thought to be a corruption of ‘Purta’s Pool’, the local area is recorded as the manor of Purtepol in the early 13th century; written Purple Lane in Arlidge's Survey [Hatton Garden]
Portsmouth Street – a house belonging to Louise de Kérouaille, Duchess of Portsmouth, mistress of Charles II, lay on this site [Holborn]
Portsoken Street – after ‘port-soke’, as it was a soke near a port (gate) of the City [City of London]
Portugal Street – named in honour of Charles II’s Portuguese queen Catherine of Braganza, [71] or possibly after the Portuguese embassy which was formerly located here [Holborn]
Post Office Court – after the General Post Office which formerly stood near here [City of London]
Potters Fields – after the Roman pottery found near here or a former pottery located here [Southwark]
Pottery Lane W11 - Takes its name from the brickfields at its northern end, where high-quality clay was dug from about 1818. The original kiln still stands and has been extended and converted into a three-bedroom house, and dates back to about 1820.Powys Lane Enfield Henry Philip Powys Rented nearby Broomfield House in 1816.
Poultry – after the poultry which was formerly sold at the market here [City of London]
Powis Place – former site of Powis House, built for William Herbert, 2nd Marquess of Powis, a prominent 17th – 18th century Jacobite [Bloomsbury]
Praed Street W2 - Named after Sir William Praed, first chairman and for many years manager of the Regent Canal company - its canal basin which lies just to the north.
Pratt Street Camden Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden Owner of the land on which the road and much of the surviving development was built in 1791.
Pratt Walk – named by its late 18th century builder Joseph Mawbey for his mother’s family [Lambeth]
Price’s Street – after a local builder of this name [Southwark]
Prideaux Place – after Arthur R Prideaux, 19th century director of the New River Company [Clerkenwell]
Priest’s Court – with allusion to the adjacent St Vedast Church [City of London]
Primrose Hill – thought to be named after a builder of this name, or possibly the primroses which formerly grew here; formerly called Salisbury Court, as it approaches Salisbury Square [City of London]
Primrose Street – thought to be named after a builder of this name, or possibly the primroses which formerly grew here [City of London]
Prince Albert Road – after Albert, Prince Consort; formerly Primrose Hill Road [Regent’s Park]
Prince Albert Road Camden / Westminster Prince Albert Originally called Albert Road; renamed after the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria in 1938
Prince Arthur Road Camden Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn Son of Queen Victoria who opened a home for sailor's daughters in the area in 1869
Prince Consort Road Westminster Albert, Prince Consort Part of Albertopolis
Prince Henry Road Greenwich Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales The road was built on the estate of Charlton House, whose original owner, Adam Newton, was the Prince's tutor.
Prince Imperial Road Bromley Napoléon, Prince Imperial Lived in exile at nearby Camden Place from 1871 until his death in 1879.
Prince of Wales Passage – after the Royal family [Regent’s Park]
Prince Regent Mews – after the Prince Regent, later George IV, by association with Regent’s Park [Regent’s Park]
Prince’s Street – named in reference to the adjacent King and Queen Streets [City of London]
Princes Arcade – built 1929-33, named after the former Prince’s Hotel, which stood here [St James's]Bush Lane – thought to be after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Princes Street – named in a generic sense in honour of the then reigning House of Hanover [Mayfair]
Princeton Street – formerly ‘Prince Street’, though after which prince exactly is unknown. It was changed so as to avoid confusion with other Prince Streets. [Holborn]
Printer Street – after the printing industry which formerly flourished here [City of London]
Printers Inn Court – after the printing industry which formerly flourished here [City of London]
Prioress Street – after the character of the prioress in Geoffrey Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, by reference to the adjacent Pilgrimage Street [Southwark]
Procter Street – after the 19th century poet Bryan Waller Procter, who lived at Red Lion Square [Holborn]
public square. In the twelfth century, standing on the corner of Lombard street, was the house of the Earl of Ferrers, where his brother was murdered, and his body thrown onto the street.
Pudding Lane – from the former term ‘pudding’ meaning animals' entrails, which were dumped here in Medieval times by local butchers; it was formerly Rothersgate, after a watergate located here [City of London]
Puddle Dock – thought to be either descriptive (after the water here), or named for a local wharf owner of this name [City of London]
Pump Court – after a former pump located here [City of London]
Purchese Street – after Frederick Purchese, local resident, vestryman, county council member and Mayor of St Pancras [Somers Town]
Purser's Cross SW6 - On the 7 August 1738, a highwayman having commited several robberies on Finchley Common, was pursued to London. He thought he was safe in a public house in Burlington Gardens, (near Piccadilly) though it was not long before he was pursued again. He escaped by horse and rode through Hyde Park where gentlemans' servants who were airing their horses gave chase, and persued him to Fulham Fields, where the Highwayman having no escape, threw money to the peasants at work in the fields, and told them 'they would soon witness the end of an unfortunate man'. He pulled out his pistol, clapped it to his ear, and shot himself. He was buried at the cross road with a stake through him, it was never discovered who he was.
Pye Street SW1 - Derives its name from Sir Robert Pye, member for Westminster in the time of Charles I.
Quality Court – a descriptive name, as it was superior when built compared with the surrounding streets [City of London]
Quebec Mews, New Quebec Street and Old Quebec Street – after the former Quebec Chapel on this site, named after the Battle of Quebec, built 1787 demolished in 1912 [Marylebone]
Queen Anne Mews and Queen Anne Street – after Queen Anne; it was originally meant to lead to a square called Queen Anne Square, however this was never completed [Marylebone]
Queen Anne’s Walk – after Queen Anne, reigning monarch when the square was laid out [Bloomsbury]
Queen Anne's Gate Westminster Queen Anne Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland from 1702, and after the Act of Union, Queen of Great Britain until 1714
Queen Caroline Street Hammersmith and Fulham Caroline of Brunswick Wife of George IV, who lived and died in nearby Brandenburg House
Queen Elizabeth Road Kingston upon Thames Queen Elizabeth I The queen founded Kingston Grammar School at Lovekyn Chapel, which is at the south end of the street (the school's main buildings are opposite)
Queen Elizabeth's Walk Hackney Queen Elizabeth I The queen's friend, Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester, lived in Stoke Newington.
Queen Square – after Queen Anne, reigning monarch when the square was laid out [Bloomsbury]
Queen Square Place – after Queen Anne, reigning monarch when the square was laid out [Bloomsbury]
Queen Street – named in honour of Catherine of Braganza, wife of Charles II [City of London]
Queen Street – when it was built in 1735 there was no reigning queen, so to which queen it refers, if any, is unknown [Mayfair]
Queen Street Place – named in honour of Catherine of Braganza, wife of Charles II [City of London]
Queen Victoria Street – built in 1871 and named for the then reigning monarch [City of London]
Queen’s Walk – after Caroline of Ansbach, wife of George II, who took a strong interest in the Royal Parks [St James's]
Queenhithe – formerly Ethelredshythe, after its founder King Æthelred the Unready, and hythe meaning a wharf/landing place; it was renamed after its later owner Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I [City of London]
Queens Avenue Hounslow Elizabeth I of England. Elizabeth spent part of her childhood at Hanworth Manor close nearby and sometimes stayed there during her reign.
Queens Head Passage – after a former house here called the Queens Head, demolished 1829 [City of London]
Queen's Head Yard – after a former grammar school here named for Queen Elizabeth I [Southwark]
Queensway Westminster Queen Victoria named Queen's Road in honour of Victoria, who had been born at nearby Kensington Palace. Later renamed.
Quick Street N1 - Recalls the favourite comedian of King George III John Quick.
Quilp Street – after Daniel Quilp, a character in the novel The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens, by association with Dickens Square [Southwark]
Radnor Street – after the Earls of Radnor, who governed the French Hospital that was formerly here [Finsbury]
Ramillies Place – after the British victory at the Battle of Ramillies in Ramillies, Belgium [Soho]
Ramillies Street – after the British victory at the Battle of Ramillies in Ramillies, Belgium [Soho]
Rampayne Street – after Charles Rampanyne, who in 1705 left funds in his will for the children of the nearby Grey Coat Hospital [Victoria]
Ranelagh Grove – after Richard Jones, 1st Earl of Ranelagh who owned a house near here in the late 17th century [Belgravia]
Ranelagh Road – as it led to the former New Ranelagh Tea Gardens on the Thames, named in imitation of the popular Ranelagh Gardens in Chelsea, which were named for Richard Jones, 1st Earl of Ranelagh [Victoria]
Rangoon Street – after the former warehouses here of the East India Company, Burma then been part of British India [City of London]
Ranston Street – for the Baker family, assistants of local landowners the Portmans, who owned land in Ranston, Dorset [Lisson Grove]
Rathbone Place and Rathbone Street – after Thomas Rathbone, local 18th century builder [Fitzrovia]
Rathbone Place Camden Captain Rathbone One Captain Rathbone was the builder of the road and properties thereon, from about 1718
Ravensdon Street – unknown; formerly Queen's Row [Lambeth]
Rawstorne Place – after local 18th century bricklayer Thomas Rawstorne [Clerkenwell]
Rawstorne Street – after local 18th century bricklayer Thomas Rawstorne [Clerkenwell]
Ray Street – corruption of ‘Rag’, after the former local rag trade here; the streets was formerly two different streets – Hockley in the Hole and Town’s End Lane [Clerkenwell]
Ray Street Bridge – corruption of ‘Rag’, after the former local rag trade here; the streets was formerly two different streets – Hockley in the Hole and Town’s End Lane [Clerkenwell]
Raymond Buildings – after Lord Chief Justice Raymond, who was called to the bar at Gray's Inn in 1697 [Holborn]
reat Pulteney Street – after Sir William Pulteney, who built the street in 1719-20; the ‘great’ prefix was to distinguish it from Little Pulteney Street, now the eastern end of Brewer Street [Soho]
Red Lion Court – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Red Lion Square WC1 - Formerly known as Red Lion Fields where in the early 17th century stood the Red Lion Inn, and it was here that Cromwell's body was dragged and rested at the Inn. It is said his decapitated head was buried somewhere under the present day square.
Red Lion Street – from the 17th century Red Lion Inn, now demolished [Holborn]
Red Place – coined in Victorian times after the colour of the local buildings [Mayfair]
Redcross Way – after either the Redcross burial ground formerly located here or an inn of this name [Southwark]
Reeves Mews – after Spelsant Reeves, local leaseholder in the 18th century [Mayfair]
Regency Place – as it was opened by George, Prince Regent (later King George IV) in 1811 [Westminster]
Regency Street – as it was opened by George, Prince Regent (later King George IV) in 1811 [Westminster]
Regent Place – made in the 1810s by John Nash and named after the Prince Regent, later George IV [Soho]
Regent Square – after the Prince Regent, later George IV; the square dates to after the Regency ended, however the name has already been chosen years before [Bloomsbury]
Regent Street Westminster King George IV Named c. 1811, when George IV was Prince Regent. Made in the 1810s by John Nash.
Remnant Street – after James Farquharson Remnant, 1st Baron Remnant, lawyer at Lincoln’s Inn and latter MP for Holborn [Holborn]
Rennie Street – after John Rennie the Elder, prominent 18th century engineer, who designed Waterloo Bridge and Southwark Bridge [Waterloo]
Rex Place – formerly King’s Mews, it was renamed after the Latin term for ‘king’ [Mayfair]
Richbell Place – after its 18th century builder, John Richbell [Bloomsbury]
Richmond Buildings – after Thomas Richmond, local carpenter in the 18th century [Soho]
Richmond Mews – after Thomas Richmond, local carpenter in the 18th century [Soho]
Richmond Terrace – after a house owned by the dukes of Richmond which formerly stood on this site in the 17th and 18th centuries [Westminster]
Ridgmount Gardens – after Ridgmont, Bedfordshire, where the dukes of Bedford also owned land [Bloomsbury]
Ridgmount Place – after Ridgmont, Bedfordshire, where the dukes of Bedford also owned land [Bloomsbury]
Ridgmount Street – after Ridgmont, Bedfordshire, where the dukes of Bedford also owned land [Bloomsbury]
Riding House Street – for a local riding school; it was formerly Riding House Lane [Fitzrovia]
Riding House Street – unknown, presumably for a local riding school; it was formerly Riding House Lane [Marylebone]
Rising Sun Court – after the adjacent pub of this name [City of London]
River Passage – after the nearby New River [Clerkenwell]
River Street – after the nearby New River [Clerkenwell]
River Street Mews – after the nearby New River [Clerkenwell]
Robert Adam Street – after Robert Adam, 18th century architect; originally it was just Adams Street, after 18th century developer Samuel Adams [Marylebone]
Robert Close Westminster Robert Browning Poet who lived in Little Venice, near the site of the road.
Robert Street – after Robert Adam, who built the Adelphi development with his brother John in the 1760s [Strand]
Roberts Mews - after Robert Grosvenor, 1st Marquess of Westminster, of the local landowning family the Grosvenors (titled Viscounts Belgrave) [Belgravia]
Robert's Place – probably after Richard Roberts, who built much of the local area in the 1800s [Clerkenwell]
Robin Hood Court – thought to be after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Rochester Row SW1 - In 1666 the Bishop of Rochester had a house here.
Rochester Street – after the Diocese of Rochester, where the deans of Westminster were bishops from 1663 – 1802 [Westminster]
Rochester Walk – after a former house here owned by the bishops of Rochester [Southwark]
Roger Street – renamed in 1937 from ‘Henry Street’, after local landowner Henry Doughty [Bloomsbury]
Rolls Buildings and Rolls Passage – the former site of a house containing the rolls of Chancery [City of London]
Romilly Street W1 - A small side turning that runs behined Shaftesbury Avenue and takes its name from the lawyer Samuel Romilly, who was successful in campaigning to abolish the death penalty for petty crimes such as theft during 1810. He was born nearby [Soho]
Romney Road Greenwich Henry Sydney, 1st Earl of Romney Built the road in about 1695, when Chief Ranger of Greenwich Park, to restore communication between Greenwich and Woolwich
Romney Street – after Robert, Baron Romney, son of local landowner Sir Robert Marsham [Westminster]
Rood Lane – after a former rood (cross) set up at St Margaret Pattens in the early 16th century; it became an object of veneration and offering, which helped pay for the repair of the church, but was torn down in 1558 as an item of excessive superstition [City of London]
Ropemaker Street – descriptive, after the rope making trade formerly located here [City of London]
Ropemaker Street – descriptive, after the rope making trade formerly located here [Finsbury]
Roscoe Street – thought to be named after a trustee of the Peabody Donation Fund, who redeveloped this former slum area in the 1880s [Finsbury]
Rose Alley – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Rose Alley – after the Tudor-era Rose Theatre [Southwark]
Rose and Crown Yard – unknown, probably after a former inn of this name [St James's]
Rose Street – after a former tavern of this name here; it was formerly Dicer Lane, possibly after either a dice maker here, or a corruption of ‘ditcher’ [City of London]
Rosebery Avenue Islington Archibald Primrose, 5th Earl of Rosebery, 19th century Prime Minister; First Chairman of the London County Council, who opened the road in 1892 [Clerkenwell]
Rosebery Square – after Archibald Primrose, 5th Earl of Rosebery, 19th century Prime Minister; he was chairman of the London County Council when this street was built in 1889 [Clerkenwell]
Rosoman Place – after Thomas Rosoman, first manager of the nearby Sadler’s Wells Theatre in the 18th century [Clerkenwell]
Rossmore Close and Rossmore Road – this land was formerly owned by the Portman estate; they owned a property called Rossmore [Lisson Grove]
Rotten Row SW1 - A corruption of route du roi.
Roupell Street – after local 19th century property owner John Roupell [Waterloo]
Roy Grove and Cannon Close Richmond upon Thames Major-General William Roy One of Roy's two cannons he used to map Middlesex is in the road in Hampton Hill.
Royal Arcade – after Queen Victoria, who visited this arcade [Mayfair]
Royal Exchange Avenue and Royal Exchange Buildings – after the adjacent Royal Exchange [City of London]
Royal Opera Arcade – originally part of an opera house theatre, built by John Nash [St James's]
Royal Street – after the former Royal George pub here [Lambeth]
Royalty Mews – after the former New Royalty Theatre on this site, demolished in the 1950s [Soho]
Rugby Street – after Rugby School; its founder Lawrence Sheriff gave land here in 1567 as an endowment [Bloomsbury]
Rupert Court – after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, noted 17th century general and son of Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of King James I; he was First Lord of the Admiralty when this street was built in 1676 [Chinatown]
Rupert Street – after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, noted 17th century general and son of Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of King James I; he was First Lord of the Admiralty when this street was built in 1676 [Chinatown]
Rushworth Street – after 17th century politician John Rushworth, who was imprisoned for a period at the nearby King’s Bench Prison [Southwark]
Russell Court – after the Russell family, who lived here in the 1600s [St James's]
Russell Square Camden Dukes of Bedford Family name of the Dukes of Bedford who owned the land
Russell Street – after Francis Russell, 4th Earl of Bedford, local landowners in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Russia Row – possibly to commemorate Russia's entry into the Napoleonic wars [City of London]
Rutherford Street – after Reverend William Rutherford, Headmaster of Westminster School 1883-1901 [Westminster]
Rutland Gate SW1 - Takes its name from the Duke of Rutland.
Rutland Place – after the Manners family, earls of Rutland, local property owners of the 17th century [Farringdon]
Ryder Court - after Richard Rider, Master Carpenter to Charles II [St James's]
Ryder Street - after Richard Rider, Master Carpenter to Charles II [St James's]
Ryder Yard - after Richard Rider, Master Carpenter to Charles II [St James's]


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Click here to go to a random London street
We now have 414 completed street histories and 47086 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



Some street name derivations – The Underground Map   

Wordpress comment (July 23, 2021)
[…] D-E-F G-H-I J-K-L M-N-O P-Q-R S T-U-V […]
This comment was posted on The Underground Map blog. Clicking the link will take you to the blog page
Comment
MCNALLY    
Added: 17 May 2021 09:42 GMT   

Blackfriars (1959 - 1965)
I lived in Upper Ground from 1959 to 1964 I was 6 years old my parents Vince and Kitty run the Pub The Angel on the corner of Upper Ground and Bodies Bridge. I remember the ceiling of the cellar was very low and almost stretched the length of Bodies Bridge. The underground trains run directly underneath the pub. If you were down in the cellar when a train was coming it was quite frightening

Reply
Reply
Tom   
Added: 21 May 2021 23:07 GMT   

Blackfriars
What is, or was, Bodies Bridge?

Reply
Comment
Bruce McTavish   
Added: 11 Mar 2021 11:37 GMT   

Kennington Road
Lambeth North station was opened as Kennington Road and then Westminster Bridge Road before settling on its final name. It has a wonderful Leslie Green design.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 21 Apr 2021 16:21 GMT   

Liverpool Street
the Bishopsgate station has existed since 1840 as a passenger station, but does not appear in the site’s cartography. Evidently, the 1860 map is in fact much earlier than that date.

Reply

Scott Hatton   
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT   

Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.

In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.

Reply
Comment
Steven Shepherd   
Added: 4 Feb 2021 14:20 GMT   

Our House
I and my three brothers were born at 178 Pitfield Street. All of my Mothers Family (ADAMS) Lived in the area. There was an area behind the house where the Hoxton Stall holders would keep the barrows. The house was classed as a slum but was a large house with a basement. The basement had 2 rooms that must have been unchanged for many years it contained a ’copper’ used to boil and clean clothes and bedlinen and a large ’range’ a cast iron coal/log fired oven. Coal was delivered through a ’coal hole’ in the street which dropped through to the basement. The front of the house used to be a shop but unused while we lived there. I have many more happy memories of the house too many to put here.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 14:31 GMT   

correction
Chaucer did not write Pilgrims Progress. His stories were called the Canterbury Tales

Reply
Comment
Jeff Owen   
Added: 20 Mar 2021 16:18 GMT   

Owen’s School
Owen Street is the site of Owen’s Boys’ School. The last school was built in 1881 and was demolished in the early 1990s to make way for the development which stand there today. It was a “Direct Grant” grammar school and was founded in 1613 by Dame Alice Owen. What is now “Owen’s Fields” was the playground between the old school and the new girls’ school (known then as “Dames Alice Owen’s School” or simply “DAOS”). The boys’ school had the top two floors of that building for their science labs. The school moved to Potters Bar in Hertfordshire in 1971 and is now one of the top State comprehensive schools in the country. The old building remained in use as an accountancy college and taxi-drivers’ “knowledge” school until it was demolished. The new building is now part of City and Islington College. Owen’s was a fine school. I should know because I attended there from 1961 to 1968.

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Jude Allen   
Added: 29 Jul 2021 07:53 GMT   

Bra top
I jave a jewelled item of clothong worn by a revie girl.
It is red with diamante straps. Inside it jas a label Bermans Revue 16 Orange Street but I cannot find any info online about the revue only that 16 Orange Street used to be a theatre. Does any one know about the revue. I would be intesrested to imagine the wearer of the article and her London life.

Reply
Comment
Kathleen   
Added: 28 Jul 2021 09:12 GMT   

Dunloe Avenue, N17
I was born in 1951,my grandparents lived at 5 Dunloe Avenue.I had photos of the coronation decorations in the area for 1953.The houses were rented out by Rowleys,their ’workers yard’ was at the top of Dunloe Avenue.The house was fairly big 3 bedroom with bath and toilet upstairs,and kitchenette downstairs -a fairly big garden.My Grandmother died 1980 and the house was taken back to be rented again

Reply
Comment
Kathleen   
Added: 28 Jul 2021 08:59 GMT   

Spigurnell Road, N17
I was born and lived in Spigurnell Road no 32 from 1951.My father George lived in Spigurnell Road from 1930’s.When he died in’76 we moved to number 3 until I got married in 1982 and moved to Edmonton.Spigurnell Road was a great place to live.Number 32 was 2 up 2 down toilet out the back council house in those days

Reply
Comment
Lewis   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 20:48 GMT   

Ploy
Allotment

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 14:31 GMT   

correction
Chaucer did not write Pilgrims Progress. His stories were called the Canterbury Tales

Reply
Comment
old lady   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 11:58 GMT   

mis information
Cheltenham road was originally
Hall road not Hill rd
original street name printed on house still standing

Reply
Comment
Patricia Bridges   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 10:57 GMT   

Lancefield Coachworks
My grandfather Tom Murray worked here

Reply
Lived here
Former Philbeach Gardens Resident   
Added: 14 Jul 2021 00:44 GMT   

Philbeach Gardens Resident (Al Stewart)
Al Stewart, who had huts in the 70s with the sings ’Year of the Cat’ and ’On The Borders’, lived in Philbeach Gdns for a while and referenced Earl’s Court in a couple of his songs.
I lived in Philbeach Gardens from a child until my late teens. For a few years, on one evening in the midst of Summer, you could hear Al Stewart songs ringing out across Philbeach Gardens, particularly from his album ’Time Passages". I don’t think Al was living there at the time but perhaps he came back to see some pals. Or perhaps the broadcasters were just his fans,like me.
Either way, it was a wonderful treat to hear!

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
All Hallows Bread Street All Hallows Bread Street was a parish church in the Bread Street ward of the City of London.
All Hallows, Honey Lane All Hallows, Honey Lane was parish church in the City of London.
Alsatia Alsatia was the name given to an area lying north of the River Thames covered by the Whitefriars monastery.
City Temple The City Temple is a Nonconformist church on Holborn Viaduct.
City Thameslink City Thameslink is a central London railway station within the City of London, with entrances on Ludgate Hill and Holborn Viaduct.
Fleet Market The Fleet Market was a market erected in 1736 on the newly culverted River Fleet.
Holy Trinity the Less Holy Trinity the Less was a parish church, destroyed in the Great Fire of London.
Mermaid Tavern The Mermaid Tavern was a notable tavern during the Elizabethan era.
St Andrew The Church of St Andrew, Holborn stands within the Ward of Farringdon Without.
St Augustine Watling Street St Augustine, Watling Street was an Anglican church which stood just to the east of St Paul’s Cathedral.
St Bartholomew’s Hospital St Bartholomew’s Hospital, also known simply as Barts and later more formally as The Royal Hospital of St Bartholomew, is a hospital located at Smithfield in the City of London and founded in 1123.
St Gregory by St Paul’s St Gregory’s by St Paul’s was a parish church in the Castle Baynard ward of the City of London.
St James Garlickhythe James Garlickhythe is a Church of England parish church in Vintry ward of the City of London, nicknamed "˜Wren’s lantern" owing to its profusion of windows.
St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street was a church in Castle Baynard ward of the City of London, located on the corner of Old Fish Street and Old Change, on land now covered by post-War development.
St Mary Mounthaw St Mary Mounthaw or Mounthaut was a parish church in Old Fish Street Hill.
St Mary Somerset St. Mary Somerset was a church in the City of London first recorded in the twelfth century. Destroyed in the Great Fire, it was one of the 51 churches rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren.
St Mary-le-Bow St Mary-le-Bow is an historic church rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1666 by Sir Christopher Wren. According to tradition a true Cockney must be born within earshot of the sound of Bow Bells.
St Matthew Friday Street St. Matthew Friday Street was a church in the City of London located on Friday Street, off Cheapside.
St Michael Queenhithe St. Michael Queenhithe was a church in the City of London located in what is now Upper Thames Street.
St Michael-le-Querne St Michael-le-Querne, also called St Michael ad Bladum, was a parish church in the Farringdon Within Ward in the City of London.
St Mildred, Bread Street The church of St Mildred, Bread Street, stood on the east side of Bread Street in the Bread Street Ward of the City of London.
St Nicholas Cole Abbey St. Nicholas Cole Abbey is a church in the City of London located on what is now Queen Victoria Street.
St Peter, Paul’s Wharf St Peter, Paul’s Wharf, was a parish church in the City of London.
St Peter, Westcheap St Peter, Westcheap, sometimes known simply as ’St Peter Cheap’, was a parish church in the City of London.
St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street, was a parish church in the City of London, England. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt.
Thavie’s Inn Thavie’s Inn was a former Inn of Chancery, associated with Lincoln’s Inn, established at Holborn, near the site of the present side street and office block still known as Thavies Inn Buildings.

NEARBY STREETS
Addle Hill, EC4V Addle Hill, formerly Addle Street, originally ran from Upper Thames Street from Carter Lane.
Amen Corner, EC4M Originally called Amen Lane, this short path forms the approach road to Amen Court.
Amen Court, EC4M Many of the highways and byways around the precincts of St Paul’s Cathedral bear names which have ecclesiastical origins.
Angel Street, EC1A Angel Street runs between King Edward Street in the west and St. Martin’s Le Grand in the east.
Apothecary Street, EC4V Apothecary Street - the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries is nearby.
Ashentree Court, EC4Y Ashentree Court was named after the ashen trees formerly located here at the Whitefriars’ monastery.
Ave Maria Lane, EC4M Ave Maria Lane is the southern extension of Warwick Lane, between Amen Corner and Ludgate Hill.
Bartlett’s Buildings, EC4A Bartlett’s Buildings was the name of a street situated off of Holborn Circus
Basing Lane, EC4M Basing Lane ran west from Bow Lane to Bread Street.
Bear Alley, EC4A Bear Alley is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Bishop’s Court, EC4M Bishop?s Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Black Friars Lane, EC4V Black Friars Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Blackfriars Bridge, EC4V Blackfriars Bridge is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Blackfriars Lane, EC4V Blackfriars Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Blackfriars Underpass, EC4V Blackfriars Underpass is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Blackfriars Underpass, EC4Y Blackfriars Underpass is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Bolt Court, EC4A Bolt Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Bouverie Street, EC4Y Bouverie Street is named for the Pleydell-Bouveries, Earls of Radnor, who were landowners in this area.
Bow Churchyard, EC2V Bow Churchyard is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Bow Lane, EC4M Bow Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Bread Street, EC4M Bread Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Brick Court, EC4Y Brick Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Bride Court, EC4Y Bride Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Bride Lane, EC4Y Bride Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Bridewell Place, EC4V Bridewell Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Broken Wharf, EC4V Broken Wharf is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Bull and Mouth Street, EC2V Bull and Mouth Street ran between King Edward Street and St Martin’s Le Grand.
Burgon Street, EC4V Burgon Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Cannon Street, EC4M This is a street in the EC4M postcode area
Carey Lane, EC2V Carey Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Carmelite Street, EC4Y Carmelite Street continues south from Whitefriars Street, which itself is just off Fleet Street.
Carter Lane, EC4M Carter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Carter Lane, EC4V Carter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Cheapside, EC2V Cheapside is a street in the City of London, the historic and modern financial centre of London.
Church Entry, EC4V Church Entry is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Cock Lane, EC1A Cock Lane leads from Giltspur Street in the east to Snow Hill in the west.
Compter Passage, EC2V Compter Passage is a location in London.
Crane Court, EC4Y Crane Court lay beside the Two Crane Inn Tavern.
Creed Court, EC4M Creed Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Creed Lane, EC4V Creed Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Deans Court, EC4V Deans Court is directly opposite the south west corner of St Paul’s Cathedral, on the south side of St Paul’s Churchyard.
Distaff Lane, EC4V Distaff Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Doctor Johnsons Buildings, EC4Y Doctor Johnsons Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Dorset Rise, EC4Y Dorset Rise is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Drive Johnsons Buildings, EC4Y Drive Johnsons Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
East Harding Street, EC4A This is a street in the EC4A postcode area
Farringdon Road, EC1A Farringdon Road is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Farringdon Road, EC4V Farringdon Road is a road in the EC4P postcode area
Farringdon Road, EC4V Farringdon Road is a road in the EC4A postcode area
Farringdon Street, EC1A The building of Farringdon Street is considered one of the greatest urban engineering achievements of the 19th century.
Farringdon Street, EC4M Farringdon Street was constructed over the Fleet river.
Fetter Lane, EC4A Fetter Lane is corrupted from ’Fautre’ which was the name for a spear rest - spears were made close by.
Fleet Place, EC4M Fleet Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Fleet Street, EC4Y Fleet Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Foster Lane, EC2V Foster Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Fosterrace Lane, EC2V A street within the EC2V postcode
Friday Street, EC4V Friday Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Friday Street, EC4V Friday Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Garlick Hill, EC4N Garlick Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Giltspur Street, EC1A Giltspur Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Godliman Street, EC4M Godliman Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Goldsmith Street, EC2V Goldsmith Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Gough Square, EC4A Gough Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Great New Street, EC4A Great New Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Gresham Street, EC2V Gresham Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Groveland Court, EC4M Groveland Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Gunpowder Square, EC4A Gunpowder Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Gutter Lane, EC2V Gutter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Harcourt Buildings, EC4Y Harcourt Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Hare Court, EC4Y Hare Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Hare Place, EC4Y Hare Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Harmsworth House, EC4Y Harmsworth House lies near the Inner Temple
Hat and Mitre Court, EC4Y Hat and Mitre Court is a road in the EC1M postcode area
High Timber Street, EC4V High Timber Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Hind Court, EC4Y Hind Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Holborn Viaduct, EC1A Holborn Viaduct is a road bridge in London and the name of the street which crosses it.
Hood Court, EC4Y Hood Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Ireland Yard, EC4V Ireland Yard is an alleyway leading off of Playhouse Yard.
John Carpenter Street, EC4Y John Carpenter was town clerk of the City of London in the fifteenth century, and founder of the City of London School.
King Edward Street, EC1A King Edward Street runs from Newgate Street in the south to Little Britain in the north.
King’s Bench Walk Temple, EC4Y A street within the EC4Y postcode
King’s Bench Walk, EC4Y King?s Bench Walk is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Kings Bench Walk, EC4Y Kings Bench Walk is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Knightrider Court, EC4V Knightrider Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Knightrider Street, EC4V Knightrider Street was supposedly a route that knights would take from the Tower of London to Smithfield, where jousts were held.
Lamb Building, EC4Y Lamb Building is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Lambeth Hill, EC4V Lambeth Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Limeburner Lane, EC4M Limeburner Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Little Britain, EC1A Little Britain is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Little Britain, EC1M Little Britain is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Little New Street, EC4A Little New Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Little Trinity Lane, EC4V Little Trinity Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
London Wall, EC2Y London Wall is one of the streets of London in the EC2R postal area.
Love Lane, EC2V Love Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Ludgate Broadway, EC4M Ludgate Broadway is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Ludgate Circus, EC4M Ludgate Circus is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Ludgate Hill, EC4M Ludgate Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Magpie Alley, EC4Y Magpie Alley marks the position occupied by the dorter (dormitory) of the Friary of the Blessed Virgin of Mount Carmel, commonly called the Whitefriars Monastery
Milk Street, EC2V Milk Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Millennium Bridge, EC4V Millennium Bridge is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Mitre Court Buildings, EC4Y Mitre Court Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
New Bridge Street, EC4V New Bridge Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
New Change, EC2V A street within the EC2V postcode
New Change, EC4M New Change is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
New Court, EC4V New Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
New Fetter Lane, EC1N New Fetter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
New Fetter Lane, EC4A New Fetter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
New Street Square, EC4A New Street Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Newgate Street, EC1A Newgate Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Noble Street, EC2V Noble Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Oat Lane, EC2V Oat Lane has been marked on London maps since 1600 and before.
Old Bailey, EC1A Old Bailey is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Old Bailey, EC4M Old Bailey is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Old Change Court, EC4V Old Change Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Old Mitre Court, EC4Y Old Mitre Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Old Seacoal Lane, EC4M Old Seacoal Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Pageantmaster Court, EC4M Pageantmaster Court was Ludgate Court and renamed in the summer of 1993.
Paternoster Row, EC4M Paternoster Row is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Paternoster Square, EC4M Paternoster Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Paul’s Walk, EC4V Paul’s Walk is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Pemberton Row, EC4A Sir James Pemberton was Lord Mayor of London in 1611, and a member of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths.
Peter’s Hill, EC4V Peter’s Hill is the northern access to the Millennium Bridge.
Pilgrim Street, EC4M Pilgrim Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Playhouse Yard, EC4V Playhouse Yard is named after the Blackfriars theatre which stood here in Shakespeare’s time and where his play’s were performed.
Pleydell Street, EC4Y Pleydell Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Plough Place, EC4A Plough Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Ploughs Place, EC4A Ploughs Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Plowden Buildings, EC4Y Plowden Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Plumtree Court, EC4A Plumtree Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Poppins Court, EC4A Poppins Court is an historic alley off Fleet Street.
Priest’s Court, EC2V Priest?s Court is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Priory Court, EC4M Priory Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Puddle Dock, EC4V Puddle Dock is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Quadrant Court, EC4M A street within the EC4M postcode
Quadrant Court, EC4M A street within the EC4M postcode
Queen Isabella Way, EC1A Queen Isabella Way is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Queen Victoria Street, EC4V Queen Victoria Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4N postal area.
Queen Victoria Street, EC4V Queen Victoria Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Queenhithe, EC4V Queenhithe is a small and ancient ward of the City of London, situated by the River Thames and a minor street.
Red Lion Court, EC4A Red Lion Court forms part of labyrinth of little passages behind the shops on the north side of Fleet Street.
Rose Street, EC4M Rose Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Russia Row, EC2V Russia Row is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.
Salisbury Court, EC4Y Salisbury Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Salisbury Square, EC4Y Salisbury Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Serjeants Inn, EC4Y Serjeants Inn is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Shoe Lane, EC4A Shoe Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Snow Hill, EC1A Snow Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
St Andrew Street, EC4A St Andrew Street is the northern extension of Shoe Lane.
St Andrews Hill, EC4V St Andrews Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
St Ann’s Lane, EC2V St Ann’s Lane was the name for the west end of Gresham Street until the 1860s.
St Bride Street, EC4A St Bride Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
St Brides Avenue, EC4Y St Brides Avenue is a narrow alley which leaves Fleet Street almost opposite Shoe Lane.
St Martin’s Le Grand, EC2V St Martin’s Le Grand is a street north of Newgate Street and a former liberty within the City of London
St Paul’s Churchyard, EC4M By the beginning of the sixteenth century, St. Paul’s Churchyard was the chief centre of the book trade, not only for London, but for the whole country.
St. Bride Street, EC4A A street within the EC4A postcode
Stationers Hall Court, EC4M Stationers Hall Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Stew Lane, EC4V Stew Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Stonecutter Street, EC4A Stonecutter Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Tallis House 2 Tallis Street, EC4Y Tallis House 2 Tallis Street is a location in London.
Tallis Street, EC4Y This street honours Thomas Tallis, composer whose name is engraved on the façade of the nearby former building of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
Temple Avenue, EC4Y Temple Avenue is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Temple Chambers, EC4Y Temple Chambers is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Three Barrels Walk, EC4V Three Barrels Walk is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Trig Lane, EC4V A street within the EC4V postcode
Tudor Street, EC4Y Tudor Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Upper Cheapside Passage, EC2V A street within the EC2V postcode
Upper Thames Street, EC4V Upper Thames Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Victoria Embankment, EC4Y Victoria Embankment is part of the Thames Embankment scheme of 19th-century civil engineering that reclaimed land next to the River Thames.
Wardrobe Place, EC4V Wardrobe Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Warwick Lane, EC1A Warwick Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Warwick Lane, EC4M This is a street in the EC4P postcode area
Warwick Square, EC4M Warwick Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Watergate, EC4Y Watergate is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Watling Street, EC4M Watling Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
White Lion Hill, EC4V White Lion Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Whitefriars Street, EC4Y Whitefriars Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Wine Office Court, EC4A Wine Office Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Wood Street, EC2V Wood Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area.

NEARBY PUBS
Balls Brothers Ltd This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Bottlescrue This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Corney & Barrow Wine Bars This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Corney & Barrow, Unit 3, Stock Exch This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Dado 54 This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Dirty Martini This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
El Vino Blackfriars This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
El Vino Fleet Street El Vino Fleet Street
Harrild and Sons This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Harry’s Bar & Pizzeria This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jamie’s Wine Bar and Restaurant This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jamies This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jamies This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Kanaloa This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Le Paris Grill This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Magpie & Stump This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Mermaid Tavern The Mermaid Tavern was a notable tavern during the Elizabethan era.
Mermaid Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Patch This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Planet of the Grapes Ltd This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Punch Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Quarter Jacks, Grange St Pauls Hotel This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Reflex This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Rudd’s This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Searcy’s Champagne Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Shaws Booksellers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Slug and Lettuce This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Slug and Lettuce This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
St Brides Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Albion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Blackfriar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bridewell Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Centre Page This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Cockpit This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Crown and Sugar Loaf This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Draft House This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Duke and Duchess This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Fable This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Fine Line This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Four Sisters Townhouse This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hack & Hop This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Harrow This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hoop & Grapes This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Lord Raglan This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Old Bell Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Paternoster This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Pepys This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Rising Sun This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Saint This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Three Cranes This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The White Swan This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Tipperary This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Viaduct Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Voltaire, Crowne Plaza Hotel This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde London This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde Watling This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Zorita’s Kitchen This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Smithfield Market
TUM image id: 1620388545
Licence:
Amen Court, EC4M
TUM image id: 1493474208
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Farringdon Street, EC4M
TUM image id: 1530111130
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Hopton’s Almshouses
TUM image id: 1513445642
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Smithfield Market
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Hopton’s Almshouses, Hopton Street, Bankside (1957).
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Tate Modern viewed from Thames pleasure boat (2003)
Credit: Christine Matthews
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Illustration of Fleet Market
Credit: William Henry Prior
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Amen Court, EC4M
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Anchor Terrace, SE1 A large symmetrical building on Southwark Bridge Road, Anchor Terrace was built in 1834 for senior employees of the nearby Anchor Brewery. The building was converted into luxury flats in the late 1990s.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Jwslubbock
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

At the southern end of Carmelite Street in the City of London stood the Victorian-era Whitefriars Fire Station.
Credit: Wiki Commons
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

View of Cloth Fair in 1884 showing the side entrance to St Bartholomew’s Priory, Smithfield.
Credit: John Crowther
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Farringdon Street, EC4M
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Hopton’s Almshouses
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page