St Andrew

Church in/near City of London, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51739 -0.10649, 51.517 -0.106) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Church · * · EC4A ·
July
20
2017

The Church of St Andrew, Holborn stands within the Ward of Farringdon Without.

Roman pottery was found on the site during 2001/02 excavations in the crypt. However, the first written record of the church itself is dated as 951 in a charter of Westminster Abbey, referring to it as the "old wooden church", on top of the hill above the river Fleet.

The Charter’s authenticity has been called into question because the date is not within the reign of the King Edgar of England who is granting it. It may be that this is simply a scribal error and that the date should be ’959’ (DCCCCLIX). A ’Master Gladwin’, i.e. a priest, held it after the Norman Conquest and he assigned it to St Paul’s Cathedral, but with the proviso that the advowson be granted at 12 pence a year to the Cluniac Order’s, St Saviour’s foundation of what was to become Bermondsey Abbey. This assignment dates between 1086 and 1089. In about 1200 a deed was witnessed by James, the Parson, Roger, his chaplain, Andrew, the Deacon and also Alexander his clerk. In 1280 one Simon de Gardino bequeathed funds towards the building of a belfry, it is assumed this would be stone and that there were due to be bells to be cast for it.

In the Early Middle Ages the church is referred to as St Andrew Holburnestrate and later simply as St Andrew de Holeburn.

In 1348, John Thavie, a local armourer, "left a considerable Estate towards the support of the fabric forever", a legacy which survived the English Reformation, was invested carefully through the centuries, and still provides for the church’s current upkeep. In the 15th century, the wooden church was replaced by a medieval stone one. On 8 July 1563, during a severe storm, the steeple of the church was struck and badly damaged by lightning.

After being executed by hanging for the crime of serving at a Catholic Mass, St. Swithin Wells was buried in the churchyard on December 10, 1591.

The medieval St Andrew’s survived the 1666 Great Fire of London, saved by a last minute change in wind direction, but was already in a bad state of repair and so was rebuilt by Christopher Wren anyway. In what is his largest parish church, he rebuilt from the foundations (creating the present crypt) and gave the existing medieval stone tower (the only medieval part to survive) a marble cladding. Its rector from 1713 to 1724 was Henry Sacheverell, who is buried beneath the church’s altar.

The same statues from the Foundling Hospital located in Hatton Garden are above the side door of St Andrew Holborn.

Thomas Coram, founder of the Foundlings’ Hospital (first set up in a house in Hatton Garden) is also buried here, his remains were translated from his foundation in the 1960s. The organ casing (an organ played by Handel), the pulpit and the font is also from the Foundlings’ Hospital Chapel’s Bloomsbury site.

The church of St George the Martyr Holborn was built between 1703 and 1706, as a chapel of ease for the parish. It became a parish church in its own right in 1723.

In 1808, writer William Hazlitt married Sarah Stoddart, with Charles Lamb as his best man, and Mary Lamb as a bridesmaid. The twelve-year-old Benjamin Disraeli, the future Prime Minister, was received into the Christian Church in 1817.

It was on the church’s steps in 1828 that the surgeon William Marsden found a homeless girl suffering from hypothermia, and sought help for her from one of the nearby hospitals. However, none would take her in, and she died in Marsden’s arms; the horror of the experience inspired him to establish the Royal Free Hospital for the poor and destitute. Today the hospital is located in Hampstead.

In the mid-19th century, the Holborn Valley Improvement Scheme bought up the church’s North Churchyard (with many of the bodies re-interred in the crypt) and in the City of London Cemetery in Ilford (the latter also being the destination for the bodies from the crypt when it was cleared in 2002-2003) to make way for the Holborn Viaduct, linking Holborn with Newgate, which was opened by Queen Victoria in 1869.

As part of this improvement scheme the church received compensation to replace its assets, and the Gothic architect Samuel Sanders Teulon was commissioned to build a new rectory and court house on the south side of the church - this now operates as the offices for the foundation, the associated charities and the Archdeaconry of Hackney, as well as the rectory and the conference rooms. Teulon incorporated into the court room, the building’s main room, a 17th-century fireplace. This was from the ’Quest Room’ for the ’below Bars’ part of the parish i.e. that lying outside the city boundary sited as part of a block of buildings in the middle of the main street. This block was removed as part of the Holborn Viaduct improvements and explains why Holborn is so wide at this point.

In Charles Dickens’s ’Oliver Twist’ Bill Sykes looks up at this church’s tower (an episode referenced by Iris Murdoch in ’Under the Net’, though from where her character stands such a view is almost impossible).

During the London Blitz, on the night of 7 May 1941, the church was bombed and gutted by German bombs, leaving only the exterior walls and tower. However, instead of demolition which sometimes occurred in similar cases, it was decided after a long delay that it would be restored "stone for stone and brick for brick" to Wren’s original designs.

The church re-opened in 1961 as a non-parochial Guild Church intended for serving the local working rather than resident community which had declined as had the City’s population as a whole.

In January 2005 a new large icon was installed, made for the site by the Monastic Family Fraternity of Jesus in Vallechiara. The church runs a selection of recitals and lectures, as well as weekly services and evening concerts.


Main source: Wikipedia
Further citations and sources




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Comment
MCNALLY    
Added: 17 May 2021 09:42 GMT   

Blackfriars (1959 - 1965)
I lived in Upper Ground from 1959 to 1964 I was 6 years old my parents Vince and Kitty run the Pub The Angel on the corner of Upper Ground and Bodies Bridge. I remember the ceiling of the cellar was very low and almost stretched the length of Bodies Bridge. The underground trains run directly underneath the pub. If you were down in the cellar when a train was coming it was quite frightening

Reply
Reply
Tom   
Added: 21 May 2021 23:07 GMT   

Blackfriars
What is, or was, Bodies Bridge?

Reply
Comment
Bruce McTavish   
Added: 11 Mar 2021 11:37 GMT   

Kennington Road
Lambeth North station was opened as Kennington Road and then Westminster Bridge Road before settling on its final name. It has a wonderful Leslie Green design.

Reply

Scott Hatton   
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT   

Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.

In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.

Reply
Lived here
Richard Roques   
Added: 21 Jan 2021 16:53 GMT   

Buckingham Street residents
Here in Buckingham Street lived Samuel Pepys the diarist, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling

Reply
Comment
Lena    
Added: 18 Mar 2021 13:08 GMT   

White Conduit Street, N1
My mum, Rosina Wade of the Wade and Hannam family in the area of Chapel Street and Parkfield Street, bought her first “costume” at S Cohen’s in White Conduit Street. Would have probably been about 1936 or thereabouts. She said that he was a small man but an expert tailor. I hope that Islington Council preserve the shop front as it’s a piece of history of the area. Mum used to get her high heel shoes from an Italian shoe shop in Chapel Street. She had size 2 feet and they would let her know when a new consignment of size 2 shoes were in. I think she was a very good customer. She worked at Killingbacks artificial flower maker in Northampton Square and later at the Halifax bombers factory north of Edgware where she was a riveter.

Reply
Comment
Jeff Owen   
Added: 20 Mar 2021 16:18 GMT   

Owen’s School
Owen Street is the site of Owen’s Boys’ School. The last school was built in 1881 and was demolished in the early 1990s to make way for the development which stand there today. It was a “Direct Grant” grammar school and was founded in 1613 by Dame Alice Owen. What is now “Owen’s Fields” was the playground between the old school and the new girls’ school (known then as “Dames Alice Owen’s School” or simply “DAOS”). The boys’ school had the top two floors of that building for their science labs. The school moved to Potters Bar in Hertfordshire in 1971 and is now one of the top State comprehensive schools in the country. The old building remained in use as an accountancy college and taxi-drivers’ “knowledge” school until it was demolished. The new building is now part of City and Islington College. Owen’s was a fine school. I should know because I attended there from 1961 to 1968.

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Peter H Davies   
Added: 17 Jun 2021 09:33 GMT   

Ethelburga Estate
The Ethelburga Estate - named after Ethelburga Road - was an LCC development dating between 1963–65. According to the Wikipedia, it has a "pleasant knitting together of a series of internal squares". I have to add that it’s extremely dull :)

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply
Lived here
Norman Norrington   
Added: 8 Jun 2021 08:08 GMT   

Blechynden Street, W10
Lived here #40 1942-1967

Reply
Comment
Brenda Newton   
Added: 5 Jun 2021 07:17 GMT   

Hewer Street W10
John Nodes Undertakers Hewer Street W10

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 2 Jun 2021 16:58 GMT   

Parachute bomb 1941
Charles Thomas Bailey of 82 Morley Road was killed by the parachute bomb March 1941

Reply

   
Added: 1 Jun 2021 12:41 GMT   

Abbeville Road (1940 street directory)
North west side
1A Clarke A S Ltd, motor engineers
15 Plumbers, Glaziers & Domestic Engineers Union
25 Dixey Edward, florist
27 Vicary Miss Doris J, newsagent
29 Stenning John Andrew, dining rooms
31 Clarke & Williams, builders
33 Hill Mrs Theodora, confectioner
35 Golding W & sons, corn dealers
... here is Shandon road ...
37 Pennington Mrs Eliz Harvie, wine & spirit merchant
39 Westminster Catering Co Ltd, ham, beef & tongue dealers
41 Masters A (Clapham) Ltd, butchers
43 Thomas Euan Ltd, grocers
45 Garrett C T & Co Ltd, undertakers
47 Mayle T & Sons, fishmongers
49 Mayles Ltd, fruiterers
51 & 73 Hardy Arthur Sydney, draper
53 United Dairies (London) Ltd
... here is Narbonne avenue ...
55 Norris William Lennox, baker
57 Silver Star Laundry Ltd
59 Thorp John, oilman
61 Bidgood Leonard George, boot makers
63 Wilkie Rt Miln, chemist
65 Gander George Albert Isaac, hairdresser
67 Harris Alfred William, greengrocer
69 & 71 Lambert Ernest & Son Ltd, grocers
... here is Hambolt road ...
73 & 51 Hardy Arthur Sydney, draper
75 Cambourn Frederick, butcher
77 Siggers Clement, chemist
77 Post, Money Order, Telephone Call & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank
79 Hemmings William, baker
... here is Elms road ...
85 Cornish Joseph
91 Bedding Mrs
151 Johnson Mrs H K
157 Robinson Albert Ernest, grainer
173 Yardleys London & Provincial Stores Ltd, wine & spirit merchants
175 Clark Alfred, butcher
175A Morley Douglas Frederick, confectioner
... here is Crescent lane ...
... her is St Alphonsus road ...

South east side
... here is Trouville road ...
4 Bossy Miss, private school
... here are Bonneville gardens ...
24 Osborn Charles Edward, ladies hairdresser
24 Hall H Ltd, builders
24A Walton Lodge Laundry Ltd
... here are Shandon road & Abbeville mansions ...
28 Copley Fred Smith, chemist
30 Finch H G Ltd, laundry
32 Carter William Alfred, furniture dealer
34 Spriggs Charles & Co, wireless supplies dealer
36 Miles Frederick William, confectioner
38 Pitman Frederick, hairdresser
40 Rowe Frederick F, valeting service
42 Modridge Edward J, oilman
... here is Narbonne avenue ...
44 Southorn Albert, butcher
46 Brown Ernest, fruiterer
48 Stanley Mrs A A, confectioner
50 Fryatt Owen, delixatessen store
52 Benbrooks, domestic stores
54 Davis William Clifford, boot repairer
56 Blogg Alfred, newsagent
58 Rowlands Thomas & Sons, dairy
... here are Hambalt, Elms, Franconia, Caldervale & Leppoc roads ...
124 Clarke Frederick, decorator
... here are Crescent lane, Briarwood road & Park hill ...

Reply
Comment
Boo Horton    
Added: 31 May 2021 13:39 GMT   

Angel & Trumpet, Stepney Green
The Angel & Trumpet Public House in Stepney Green was run by my ancestors in the 1930’s. Unfortunately, it was a victim on WWII and was badly damaged and subsequently demolished. I have one photograph that I believe to bethe pub, but it doesn’t show much more that my Great Aunt cleaning the steps.

Reply
Comment
MCNALLY    
Added: 17 May 2021 09:42 GMT   

Blackfriars (1959 - 1965)
I lived in Upper Ground from 1959 to 1964 I was 6 years old my parents Vince and Kitty run the Pub The Angel on the corner of Upper Ground and Bodies Bridge. I remember the ceiling of the cellar was very low and almost stretched the length of Bodies Bridge. The underground trains run directly underneath the pub. If you were down in the cellar when a train was coming it was quite frightening

Reply
Comment
PETER FAIRCLOUGH   
Added: 10 May 2021 14:46 GMT   

We once lived here
My family resided at number 53 Brindley Street Paddington.
My grandparents George and Elizabeth Jenkinson (ne Fowler) had four children with my Mother Olive Fairclough (ne Jenkinson) being born in the house on 30/09/1935.
She died on 29/04/2021 aged 85 being the last surviving of the four siblings

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
City Temple The City Temple is a Nonconformist church on Holborn Viaduct.
City Thameslink City Thameslink is a central London railway station within the City of London, with entrances on Ludgate Hill and Holborn Viaduct.
Fleet Market The Fleet Market was a market erected in 1736 on the newly culverted River Fleet.
Hicks Hall Hicks Hall (1611 - 1778) was a building in St John Street, Clerkenwell, London.
Old and New London: Temple Bar Temple Bar was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren, in 1670–72.
Old Dick Whittington The Dick Whittington Inn at 24 Cloth Fair was a sixteenth century building and once part of a row of medieval buildings lining the street.
Smithfield Smithfield is a locality in the ward of Farringdon Without situated at the City of London’s northwest corner.
St Andrew The Church of St Andrew, Holborn stands within the Ward of Farringdon Without.
St Bartholomew’s Hospital St Bartholomew’s Hospital, also known simply as Barts and later more formally as The Royal Hospital of St Bartholomew, is a hospital located at Smithfield in the City of London and founded in 1123.
St Etheldreda’s Church St Etheldreda’s Church is in Ely Place, off Charterhouse Street in Holborn, London.
St Gregory by St Paul’s St Gregory’s by St Paul’s was a parish church in the Castle Baynard ward of the City of London.
Staple Inn Staple Inn is London’s only surviving sixteenth-century domestic building, situated on the south side of High Holborn.
Temple Bar Temple Bar is the point in London where Fleet Street, City of London, becomes the Strand, Westminster, and where the City of London traditionally erected a barrier to regulate trade into the city.
Thavie’s Inn Thavie’s Inn was a former Inn of Chancery, associated with Lincoln’s Inn, established at Holborn, near the site of the present side street and office block still known as Thavies Inn Buildings.

NEARBY STREETS
Albion Courtyard, EC1A Albion Courtyard is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Albion Place, EC1M Albion Place was formerly George Court.
Amen Corner, EC4M Originally called Amen Lane, this short path forms the approach road to Amen Court.
Amen Court, EC4M Many of the highways and byways around the precincts of St Paul’s Cathedral bear names which have ecclesiastical origins.
Ave Maria Lane, EC4M Ave Maria Lane is the southern extension of Warwick Lane, between Amen Corner and Ludgate Hill.
Baldwins Gardens, EC1N Baldwin Gardens runs between Gray’s Inn Road and Leather Lane.
Barnard’s Inn, EC4A Barnard’s Inn lies near Holborn Circus.
Bartholomew Passage, EC1A Bartholomew Passage is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Bartholomew Place, EC1A Bartholomew Place is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Bartlett’s Buildings, EC4A Bartlett’s Buildings was the name of a street situated off of Holborn Circus
Bear Alley, EC4A Bear Alley is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Bell Yard, EC4A Bell Yard is a small lane off the Strand where the Bell hostel once stood.
Benjamin Street, EC1M Benjamin Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Bishop’s Court, EC4M Bishop?s Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Bleeding Heart Yard, EC1N Bleeding Heart Yard is a courtyard off of Greville Street.
Bolt Court, EC4A Bolt Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Breams Buildings, EC4A Breams Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Bride Court, EC4Y Bride Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Bride Lane, EC4Y Bride Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Broad Yard, EC1M Broad Yard is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Brooke Street, EC1N Brooke Street runs north off of Holborn.
Carey Street, WC2A Carey Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
Central Markets, EC1A Central Markets is the address of traders within Smithfield Market.
Chancery Lane, WC2A Chancery Lane has formed the western boundary of the City of London since 1994, having previously been divided between the London boroughs of Westminster and Camden.
Charterhouse Mews, EC1A Charterhouse Mews is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Charterhouse Square, EC1M Charterhouse Square is the largest courtyard associated with London Charterhouse, mostly formed of Tudor and Stuart architecture restored after the Blitz.
Charterhouse Street, EC1A Charterhouse Street is a street on the northern boundary of the City of London.
Chichester Rents, WC2A Chichester Rents is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
Cliffords Inn Passage, EC4Y Cliffords Inn Passage is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Cliffords Inn, EC4A Cliffords Inn is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Cloth Fair, EC1A Cloth Fair stands where the original Bartholomew Fair was held in medieval times.
Cock Lane, EC1A Cock Lane leads from Giltspur Street in the east to Snow Hill in the west.
Cowcross Street, EC1M Cowcross Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Crane Court, EC4Y Crane Court lay beside the Two Crane Inn Tavern.
Creed Court, EC4M Creed Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Cursitor Street, EC4A Cursitor Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Dyer’s Buildings, EC1N This is a street in the EC1N postcode area
Eagle Court, EC1M Eagle Court is a courtyard situated off of Benjamin Street.
East Central Markets, EC1A East Central Markets is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
East Harding Street, EC4A This is a street in the EC4A postcode area
East Passage, EC1A East Passage is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
East Poultry Avenue, EC1A East Poultry Avenue is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Eldons Passage, EC1N A street within the EC1N postcode
Ely Court, EC1N Ely Court is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
Ely Place, EC1N Ely Place is a gated road at the southern tip of the London Borough of Camden.
Falcon Court, EC4Y Falcon Court is a courtyard off the south side of Fleet Street between Chancery Lane and Fetter Lane.
Farringdon Road, EC1A Farringdon Road is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Farringdon Road, EC4A Farringdon Road is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Farringdon Street, EC1A The building of Farringdon Street is considered one of the greatest urban engineering achievements of the 19th century.
Farringdon Street, EC4M Farringdon Street was constructed over the Fleet river.
Faulkners Alley, EC1M Faulkners Alley is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Fetter Lane, EC4A Fetter Lane is corrupted from ’Fautre’ which was the name for a spear rest - spears were made close by.
Fleet Place, EC4M Fleet Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Fleet Street, EC4A Fleet Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Fleet Street, EC4Y Fleet Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Florin Court, EC1M Florin Court is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Fulwood Place, WC1R Fulwood Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1V postal area.
Furnival Street, EC4A Furnival Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Gate House, EC1M Residential block
Giltspur Street, EC1A Giltspur Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Gough Square, EC4A Gough Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Grand Avenue, EC1A Grand Avenue runs through the centre of Smithfield Market.
Gravel Street, EC1N Gravel Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
Grays Inn Place, WC1R Grays Inn Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area.
Grays Inn Square Chambers, WC1R Grays Inn Square Chambers is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area.
Grays Inn Square, WC1R Grays Inn Square is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area.
Great New Street, EC4A Great New Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Greenhills Rents, EC1A Greenhills Rents is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Greville Street, EC1N Greville Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
Groveland Court, EC4M Groveland Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Gunpowder Square, EC4A Gunpowder Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Hardwicke Building, WC2A Hardwicke Building is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
Hare Court, EC4Y Hare Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Hare Place, EC4Y Hare Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Hat and Mitre Court, EC4Y Hat and Mitre Court is a road in the EC1M postcode area
Hatton Garden, EC1N Hatton Garden is a street and area noted as London’s jewellery quarter and centre of the UK diamond trade.
Hatton Place, EC1N Hatton Place is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
Hayne Street, EC1A Hayne Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Hind Court, EC4Y Hind Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Holborn Circus, EC1N Holborn Circus is a junction of five highways in the City of London, on the boundary between Holborn, Hatton Garden and Smithfield.
Holborn Viaduct, EC1A Holborn Viaduct is a road bridge in London and the name of the street which crosses it.
Holborn, EC1N Holborn commemorates the River Fleet, also known as the Holbourne stream.
Hood Court, EC4Y Hood Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Hosier Lane, EC1A Hosier Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
King Edward Street, EC1A King Edward Street runs from Newgate Street in the south to Little Britain in the north.
Kinghorn Street, EC1A Kinghorn Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Kirby Street, EC1N Kirby Street was named for Christopher Hatton’s Kirby House in Northamptonshire.
Leather Lane, EC1N Leather Lane is a street one block west of Hatton Garden, in the Holborn area of London.
Limeburner Lane, EC4M Limeburner Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Lindsey Street, EC1A Lindsey Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Little Britain, EC1M Little Britain is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Little New Street, EC4A Little New Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
London Central Markets, EC4A London Central Markets is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
London Silver Vaults, WC1V London Silver Vaults is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
Long Lane, EC1A Long Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Long Lane, EC1M Long Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Ludgate Broadway, EC4M Ludgate Broadway is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Ludgate Circus, EC4M Ludgate Circus is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Ludgate Hill, EC4M Ludgate Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Ludgate Square, EC4M Ludgate Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Middlesex Passage, EC1A Middlesex Passage is a location in London.
Mitre Court Buildings, EC4Y Mitre Court Buildings is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
New Fetter Lane, EC1N New Fetter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
New Fetter Lane, EC4A New Fetter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
New House, EC1N Residential block
New Square Passage, WC2A This is a street in the WC2A postcode area
New Square, WC2A New Square is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
New Street Square, EC4A New Street Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Newgate Street, EC1A Newgate Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Norwich Street, EC4A Norwich Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Old Bailey, EC1A Old Bailey is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Old Bailey, EC4M Old Bailey is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Old Buildings, WC2A Old Buildings is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
Old Mitre Court, EC4Y Old Mitre Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Old Seacoal Lane, EC4M Old Seacoal Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Old Square, WC2A Old Square is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
Pageantmaster Court, EC4M Pageantmaster Court was Ludgate Court and renamed in the summer of 1993.
Paternoster Square, EC4M Paternoster Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Pemberton Row, EC4A Sir James Pemberton was Lord Mayor of London in 1611, and a member of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths.
Peter’s Lane, EC1M Peter’s Lane is named after the church which once stood close to the Cross Keys tavern.
Pilgrim Street, EC4M Pilgrim Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Pleydell Street, EC4Y Pleydell Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Plough Place, EC4A Plough Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Ploughs Place, EC4A Ploughs Place is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Plumtree Court, EC4A Plumtree Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Poppins Court, EC4A Poppins Court is an historic alley off Fleet Street.
Portpool Lane, EC1N Portpool Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
Priory Court, EC4M Priory Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Quadrant Court, EC4M A street within the EC4M postcode
Quadrant Court, EC4M A street within the EC4M postcode
Quality Court, WC2A Quality Court is a courtyard, built around 1700.
Queen Isabella Way, EC1A Queen Isabella Way is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Red Lion Court, EC4A Red Lion Court forms part of labyrinth of little passages behind the shops on the north side of Fleet Street.
Rolls Buildings, EC4A Rolls Buildings is a road in the WC2A postcode area
Rolls Passage, WC2A Rolls Passage is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Rose Street, EC4M Rose Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Saffron Hill, EC1N Saffron Hill’s name derives the time that it was part of an estate on which saffron grew.
Saint John Street, EC1M This is a street in the EC1M postcode area
Salisbury Court, EC4Y Salisbury Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Serjeants Inn, EC4Y Serjeants Inn is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Serle Street, WC2A Serle Street is a road in the WC2A postcode area
Shoe Lane, EC4A Shoe Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Silver Vaults, WC1V Silver Vaults is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
Smithfield Street, EC1A Smithfield Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
Smokehouse Yard, EC1M Smokehouse Yard is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
Snow Hill, EC1A Snow Hill is one of the streets of London in the EC1A postal area.
South Square, WC1X South Square is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area.
Southampton Buildings, WC2A Southampton Buildings marks the site of the house of the 4th Earl of Southampton, son of Shakespeare’s patron.
St Andrew Street, EC4A St Andrew Street is the northern extension of Shoe Lane.
St Bride Street, EC4A St Bride Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
St Brides Avenue, EC4Y St Brides Avenue is a narrow alley which leaves Fleet Street almost opposite Shoe Lane.
St Cross Street, EC1N St Cross Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
St Johns Lane, EC1M St Johns Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC1M postal area.
St. Bride Street, EC4A A street within the EC4A postcode
Staple Inn Buildings North, WC1X Staple Inn Buildings North is one of the streets of London in the WC1V postal area.
Staple Inn Buildings, WC1V Staple Inn Buildings is part of historic Staple Inn.
Staple Inn Buildings, WC1X Staple Inn Buildings is one of the streets of London in the WC1V postal area.
Star Yard, WC2A Star Yard is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
Stationers Hall Court, EC4M Stationers Hall Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Stone Buildings, WC2A Stone Buildings is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area.
Stonecutter Street, EC4A Stonecutter Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Strand, EC4A This is a street in the EC4A postcode area
Temple Chambers, EC4Y Temple Chambers is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
The Charterhouse, EC1M Residential block
Took’s Court, EC4A Took’s Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.
Turnmill Street, EC1 Turnmill Street appears in the works of Shakespeare.
Verulam Street, WC1X Verulam Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1X postal area.
Vestry House, EC1A Residential block
Warwick Court, WC1R Warwick Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area.
Warwick Lane, EC1A Warwick Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Warwick Lane, EC4M This is a street in the EC4P postcode area
Warwick Square, EC4M Warwick Square is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Waterhouse Square, EC1N Waterhouse Square is one of the streets of London in the EC1N postal area.
West Smithfield, EC1A West Smithfield is the oldest street of the Smithfield area.
Whitefriars Street, EC4Y Whitefriars Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4Y postal area.
Wine Office Court, EC4A Wine Office Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4A postal area.

NEARBY PUBS
BarSmith This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Be At One This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Best Mangal Bar & Restaurant This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Bishops Finger This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Brookes Brother Wine Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Cella Karaoke Lounge This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Charterhouse Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
City of York This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Clerkenwell house This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Club Gascon This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Corney & Barrow Wine Bars This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Corney & Barrow, Unit 3, Stock Exch This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Craft Beer Company This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Dado 54 This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
El Vino Co Ltd This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Enoteca Rabezzana This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Grand Union This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Grand Union Farringdon This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Hand & Shears This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Harrild and Sons This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Inn of Court This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jamies This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jamies This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Kanaloa This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Karaoke Box This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Knights Templar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Lazybones This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Magpie & Stump This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Old Dick Whittington The Dick Whittington Inn at 24 Cloth Fair was a sixteenth century building and once part of a row of medieval buildings lining the street.
Old Red Cow This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Oriole This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Piano Smithfield This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Punch Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Secrets This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Sir Chrisptopher Hatton This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Sir John Oldcastle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Slug and Lettuce This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Albion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Argyle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bleeding Heart Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Butcher’s Hook and Cleaver This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Castle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Crown and Sugar Loaf This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Draft House This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Duke and Duchess This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Fable This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Fence This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Fox and Anchor This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Grill on the Market This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hack & Hop This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hon. Soc. Of Gray’s Inn This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hoop & Grapes This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Old Bell Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The One Tun This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Rising Sun This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Saint This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Seven Stars This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The White Swan This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Tipperary This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Viaduct Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Vino & Vino This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
White Bear This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde Cock Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde London This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Ye Olde Mitre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Smithfield Market
TUM image id: 1620388545
Licence:
Amen Court, EC4M
TUM image id: 1493474208
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Farringdon Street, EC4M
TUM image id: 1530111130
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Smithfield Market
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The old wooden Temple Bar
Credit: Walter Thornbury
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Saint John’s Gate, Clerkenwell, the main gateway to the Priory of Saint John of Jerusalem. The church was founded in the 12th century by Jordan de Briset, a Norman knight. Prior Docwra completed the gatehouse shown in this photograph in 1504. The gateway served as the main entry to the Priory, which was the center of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (the Knights Hospitallers).
Credit: Henry Dixon (1880)
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Illustration of Fleet Market
Credit: William Henry Prior
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Amen Court, EC4M
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

At the southern end of Carmelite Street in the City of London stood the Victorian-era Whitefriars Fire Station.
Credit: Wiki Commons
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Clerkenwell Green (1898) The water fountain shown here became public toilets.
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

View of Cloth Fair in 1884 showing the side entrance to St Bartholomew’s Priory, Smithfield.
Credit: John Crowther
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Coldbath Square in Clerkenwell was named after a cold water well that stood originally in fields. Cold Bath was fed by a spring which was discovered by a Mr Baynes in 1697. The discoverer declared the water had great power in nervous diseases, and "equalled those of St Magnus and St Winnifred". The bathing hours were from 5am to 1pm, the charge two shillings. The old bathhouse was a building with three gables, and had a large garden with four turret summer houses. In 1811 the trustees of the London Fever Hospital bought the property for £3830, but, being driven away by the frightened inhabitants, the ground was sold for building, the bath remaining as late as 1865.
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Farringdon Street, EC4M
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page