St Albans Street, SW1Y

Road in/near St Giles, existing between 1660 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG ()
(51.50905 -0.13206, 51.509 -0.132) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Road · St Giles · SW1Y ·
JANUARY
1
2000

St Albans Street was named after Henry Jermyn, 1st Earl of Saint Albans, 17th century politician and local landowner.

Henry Jermyn (1605 - 1684) was an English politician and courtier. He was an MP in the House of Commons at various times between 1625 and 1643 when he was raised to the peerage as Baron Jermyn. He became one of the most influential courtiers of the period, constantly devising and plotting schemes to involve foreign powers in the proposed restoration of the monarchy after the execution of Charles I.

In the early 1660s, he obtained a grant of land north of St James’s Palace, building streets named after himself such as Jermyn Street, He also founded St Albans market, on a site afterwards cleared for the construction of Regent Street and Waterloo Place. It was a grand design and from its inspiration grew this area of London - so much so that the Survey of London acknowledges Henry Jermyn as the Father of the West End.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 506 completed street histories and 46994 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Dec 2020 00:24 GMT   

Othello takes a bow
On 1 November 1604, William Shakespeare’s tragedy Othello was presented for the first time, at The Palace of Whitehall. The palace was the main residence of the English monarchs in London from 1530 until 1698. Seven years to the day, Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Tempest was also presented for the first time, and also at the Palace of Whitehall.

Reply

Emma Seif   
Added: 25 Jan 2022 19:06 GMT   

Birth of the Bluestocking Society
In about 1750, Elizabeth Montagu began hosting literary breakfasts in her home at 23 (now 31) Hill Street. These are considered the first meetings of the Bluestocking society.

Reply
Comment
Linda Webb   
Added: 27 Sep 2021 05:51 GMT   

Hungerford Stairs
In 1794 my ancestor, George Webb, Clay Pipe Maker, lived in Hungerford Stairs, Strand. Source: Wakefields Merchant & Tradesmens General Directory London Westminster 1794

Source: Hungerford Stairs

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Roy Batham   
Added: 7 Jan 2022 07:17 GMT   

Smithy in Longacre
John Burris 1802-1848 Listed 1841 census as Burroughs was a blacksmith, address just given as Longacre.

Source: Batham/Wiseman - Family Tree

Reply

Scott Hatton   
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT   

Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.

In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
Comment
Jessie Doring   
Added: 22 Feb 2021 04:33 GMT   

Tisbury Court Jazz Bar
Jazz Bar opened in Tisbury Court by 2 Australians. Situated in underground basement. Can not remember how long it opened for.

Reply
Comment
Robert smitherman   
Added: 23 Aug 2017 11:01 GMT   

Saunders Street, SE11
I was born in a prefab on Saunders street SE11 in the 60’s, when I lived there, the road consisted of a few prefab houses, the road originally ran from Lollard street all the way thru to Fitzalan street. I went back there to have a look back in the early 90’s but all that is left of the road is about 20m of road and the road sign.

Reply
Lived here
Richard Roques   
Added: 21 Jan 2021 16:53 GMT   

Buckingham Street residents
Here in Buckingham Street lived Samuel Pepys the diarist, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling

Reply

Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
Comment
Jude Allen   
Added: 29 Jul 2021 07:53 GMT   

Bra top
I jave a jewelled item of clothong worn by a revie girl.
It is red with diamante straps. Inside it jas a label Bermans Revue 16 Orange Street but I cannot find any info online about the revue only that 16 Orange Street used to be a theatre. Does any one know about the revue. I would be intesrested to imagine the wearer of the article and her London life.

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Richard Lake   
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT   

Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Reply
Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Admiral Duncan The Admiral Duncan is well-known as one of Soho’s oldest gay pubs.
Charing Cross Charing Cross denotes the junction of the Strand, Whitehall and Cockspur Street, just south of Trafalgar Square
De Hems De Hems has become a base for London’s Dutch community, serving bitterballen and frikandellen.
Garrick Yard Garrick Yard, together with the more familiar Garrick Street to the northeast of here, both took their names from the Garrick Club which commemorates the famous 18th century actor, David Garrick.
Leicester Square Leicester Square, while indeed a square, is also the name for a tube station.
Nelson’s Column Nelson’s Column is a monument in Trafalgar Square built to commemorate Horatio Nelson’s decisive victory at the Battle of Trafalgar during which he lost his life.
Northumberland House Northumberland House was a large Jacobean townhouse in London, which was the London residence of the Percy family, the Dukes of Northumberland.
Piccadilly Circus Piccadilly Circus was built in 1819 to connect Regent Street with the major shopping street of Piccadilly.
Pickering Place, SW1Y Thought to be the smallest public open space in London, Pickering Place is perhaps most famous for being the location of the last public duel in England.
Queen’s Theatre The Queen’s Theatre is located in Shaftesbury Avenue on the corner of Wardour Street.
Royal Society The Royal Society is a self-governing Fellowship of many of the world’s most distinguished scientists drawn from all areas of science, engineering and medicine.
St James’s St James’s is an exclusive area in the West End of London.
Wyld’s Great Globe Wyld’s Great Globe was an attraction situated in Leicester Square between 1851 and 1862.

NEARBY STREETS
Adelaide Street, WC2R Adelaide Street was named for Queen Adelaide, Consort to King William IV.
Agar Street, WC2N Agar Street is named after George Agar, who built the street in the 1830s with John Ponsonby, Earl of Bessborough
Air Street, SW1Y Air Street was the most westerly street in London when newly built in 1658.
Air Street, W1B Air Street’s name is believed to be a corruption of ‘Ayres’, after Thomas Ayre, a local brewer and resident in the 17th century.
Albany Courtyard, SW1Y The courtyard is named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, who in 1791 purchased Melbourne House which stood on this site.
Albany, W1B The Albany is an apartment complex in Piccadilly, established in 1802.
Angel Court, SW1Y Angel Court is named after a long demolished inn of this name.
Apple Tree Yard, SW1Y Apple Tree Yard is thought named after the apple trees formerly to be found here.
Archer Street, W1D Archer Street was Arch Street in 1675, Orchard Street in 1720 and Archer Street by 1746.
Babmaes Street, SW1Y Babmaes Street was originally called Wells Street.
Banbury Court, WC2E Banbury Court is named for Nicholas Knollys, 3rd Earl of Banbury, who owned a house here called Banbury House.
Beak Street, W1B Beak Street runs roughly east-west between Regent Street and Lexington Street.
Beak Street, W1F Beak Street is named after Thomas Beake, one of the Queen’s messengers.
Bear Street, WC2H Bear Street is a streetname with two possible derivations.
Bedford Street, WC2E Bedford Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area.
Bedfordbury, WC2N Bedfordbury is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area.
Blue Ball Yard, SW1A Blue Ball Yard is first mentioned in 1672 when its site was sold by King Charles II.
Brewer Street, W1D Brewer Street runs west to east from Glasshouse Street to Wardour Street.
Brewer Street, W1F Brewer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Bridle Lane, W1F Bridle Lane is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Brydges Place, WC2N Brydges Place replaced Taylor’s Buildings in 1904 when the Colloseum was built.
Burlington Arcade, SW1Y Burlington Arcade is a covered shopping arcade, 179 metres in length, that runs from Piccadilly to Burlington Gardens.
Bury Street, SW1A Bury Street runs north-to-south from Jermyn Street to King Street, crossing Ryder Street.
Cape Yard, W1D A street within the W1D postcode
Carlton Gardens, SW1Y Carlton Gardens was developed before 1832.
Carlton House Terrace, SW1Y Carlton House Terrace consists of a pair of terraces - white stucco-faced houses on the south side of the street overlooking St James’s Park.
Carriage Hall, WC2E Carriage Hall is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area.
Catherine Wheel Yard, SW1A Catherine Wheel Yard is named after an inn that stood on this site until it burnt down in 1895.
Cecil Court, WC2N Cecil Court is a pedestrian street with Victorian shop-frontages.
Chandos Place, WC2R Chandos Place is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area.
Charing Cross Mansions, WC2H Charing Cross Mansions is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area.
Charing Cross Road, WC2H Charing Cross Road is a street running immediately north of St Martin-in-the-Fields to St Giles Circus.
Charing Cross, SW1A Charing Cross, long regarded as London’s central point, as an address is an enigma.
Charles II Street, SW1Y Charles II Street is named for the ’Merry Monarch’.
Chesham House, W1B Chesham House is a block on Regent Street
Church Place, SW1Y Church Place was named after the adjacent St James’s Church, Piccadilly.
Cleveland Yard, SW1Y Cleveland Yard is now the site of Cleveland Place.
Cockspur Street, SW1A Cockspur Street is possibly after the cock fighting that formerly occurred here, cocks often having spurs attached to their feet during fights.
Coventry Street, W1D Coventry Street is a short street connecting Piccadilly Circus to Leicester Square. On the London Monopoly board, it was named after the politician Henry Coventry, secretary of state to Charles II.
Cranbourn Street, WC2H Cranbourne Street was named after local landowner the Earl of Salisbury, Viscount Cranbourn (Cranbourne) after the town in Dorset.
Craven Passage, WC2N Craven Passage is named after William Craven, 3rd Baron Craven, who owned the land when the street was built in the 1730s.
Craven Street, WC2N Craven Street is named after William Craven, 3rd Baron Craven, who owned the land when the street was built in the 1730s.
Crown Passage, SW1A Crown Passage is thought to be after a former tavern of the name.
Dalmeny Court, SW1Y Dalmeny Court is a block on Duke Street.
Dansey Place, W1D Dansey Place is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Denman Street, W1D Denman Street is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Dudley House, SW1A Dudley House is situated at 169 Piccadilly.
Duke Of York Street, SW1Y Duke Of York Street runs between Jermyn Street and St James’s Square.
Duke Street St James’s, SW1Y Duke Street St James’s is named after James II, Duke of York when the street was built and brother to Charles II, king at the time.
Duncannon Street, WC2N Duncannon Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area.
Eagle Place, SW1Y Eagle Place lies off Piccadilly.
Floral Street, WC2E Floral Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area.
French Railway House, SW1Y French Railway House occupies 178-180 Piccadilly.
Garrick Street, WC2N Garrick Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area.
Gerrard Place, W1D Gerrard Place is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Gerrard Street, W1D Gerrard Street is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Glasshouse Street, W1B Glasshouse Street is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Golden Square, W1B Golden Square is a historic Soho square, dating from the 1670s.
Great Newport Street, WC2H Great Newport Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area.
Great Pulteney Street, W1F Great Pulteney Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Great Scotland Yard, SW1A Great Scotland Yard is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area.
Great Windmill Street, W1F Great Windmill Street has had a long association with music and entertainment, most notably the Windmill Theatre.
Greens Court, W1D Greens Court is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Ham Yard, W1D Ham Yard is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Haymarket, SW1Y Haymarket – site of a former market selling hay until the 1830s.
Heddon Street, W1B Heddon Street is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Heddon Street, W1B Heddon Street is a road in the W1S postcode area
Hobhouse Court, WC2H Hobhouse Court is named after Sir John Cam Hobhouse, Victorian MP and arts patron.
Hop Gardens, WC2N Hop Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area.
Horse and Dolphin Yard, W1D Horse and Dolphin Yard once lay behind the Horse and Dolphin Inn.
Hungerford Lane, WC2N Hungerford Lane was a dark narrow alley that went alongside and then under Charing Cross Station.
Ingestre Court, W1F Ingestre Court is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Irving Street, WC2H Irving Street is named after Henry Irving, the popular Victorian actor.
Jermyn Street, SW1Y Jermyn Street is the main east-west road of St James’s.
John Street, W1F John Street is a road in the SE11 postcode area
King Street, SW1Y King Street leads from St James’s Street to St James’s Square.
King Street, WC2E King Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area.
Kingly Court, W1B Kingly Court is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Kingly Street, W1F Kingly Street is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Kinnaird House, SW1Y Kinnaird House is a block on Pall Mall.
Langley Court, WC2E Langley Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area.
Leicester Place, WC2H Leicester Place is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area.
Leicester Square, WC2H Leicester Square is a central tourist attraction of London.
Leicester Street, WC2H Leicester Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area.
Lexington Street, W1F Lexington Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Linen Hall, W1B Linen Hall is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Lisle Street, WC2H Lisle Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area.
Litchfield Street, WC2H Litchfield Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area.
Little Newport Street, WC2H Little Newport Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area.
Little St James’s Street, SW1A Little St James’s Street is a turning off of St James’s Street proper.
Lower James Street, W1F Lower James Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Lower John Street, W1F Lower John Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Lower Regent Street, SW1Y Lower Regent Street is the name for the part of Regent Street which lies south of Piccadilly Circus.
Macclesfield Street, W1D Macclesfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Masons Yard, SW1Y Mason’s Yard was named for the local 18th century victualler Henry Mason.
May’s Court, WC2N May’s Court is a road in the WC2N postcode area
New Burlington Mews, W1B New Burlington Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
New Burlington Street, W1B New Burlington Street is a road in the W1B postcode area
New Row, WC2E New Row is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area.
New Zealand House, SW1Y New Zealand House is a block on Haymarket
Newport Court, WC2H Newport Court was laid out approximately on the site of the courtyard of Newport House.
Newport Place, W1D Newport Place was named after Mountjoy Blount, Earl of Newport (Isle of Wight), who owned a house on Newport Street in the 17th century.
Norris Street, SW1Y Norris Street – after Godfrye Norris, local leaseholder in the 17th century.
Northumberland Avenue, WC2N Northumberland Avenue runs from Trafalgar Square in the west to the Thames Embankment in the east.
Northumberland Street, WC2N Northumberland Street commemorates the former Northumberland House, built originally in the early 17th century for the earls of Northampton and later acquired by the earls of Northumberland.
Orange Street, WC2H Orange Street gets its name from William III, Prince of Orange - the reigning king when the street was built.
Ormond Yard, SW1Y Ormond Yard was named after James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormonde, who owned a house next to this yard in the 17th century.
Oxendon Street, W1D Oxendon Street, after Sir Henry Oxendon, husband of Mary Baker, daughter of Robert Baker who built the former Piccadilly House nearby.
Pall Mall East, SW1A Pall Mall East is an eastern extension of Pall Mall towards Trafalgar Square.
Pall Mall, SW1Y Pall Mall was laid out as grounds for playing pall mall in the 17th century.
Panton Street, W1D Panton Street was named after Colonel Thomas Panton, local property dealer of the 17th century.
Peter Street, W1F Peter Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Piccadilly Arcade, SW1Y Piccadilly Arcade was named after Piccadilly Hall, home of local tailor Robert Baker in the 17th century.
Piccadilly Circus, W1J Piccadilly Circus was laid out by John Nash in 1819.
Piccadilly Place, SW1Y Piccadilly Place is an alleyway leading to Vine Street.
Piccadilly, SW1Y Piccadilly is one of the main London streets.
Pickering Place, SW1Y Pickering Place is London’s smallest square.
Princes Arcade, SW1Y Princes Arcade, built 1929–33, was named after the former Prince’s Hotel, which stood here.
Regent Place, W1B Regent Place is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Regent Street, W1B Regent Street dates from the 1810s and was named after the Prince Regent, later George IV.
Romilly Street, W1D Romilly Street is a small street that runs behind Shaftesbury Avenue and takes its name from lawyer Samuel Romilly.
Rose and Crown Yard, SW1Y Rose and Crown Yard was probably named after a former inn of this name.
Rose Street, WC2N Rose Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area.
Royal Opera Arcade, SW1Y Royal Opera Arcade was originally part of an opera house theatre, built by John Nash.
Rupert Court, W1D Rupert Court was named for Prince Rupert of the Rhine, the First Lord of the Admiralty when the court was built in 1676.
Rupert Street, W1D Rupert Street – after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, noted 17th century general and son of Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of King James I.
Ryder Street, SW1A Ryder Street was named after Richard Rider, Master Carpenter to Charles II.
Sackville Street, W1B Sackville Street runs north from Piccadilly.
Shaftesbury Avenue, W1D Shaftesbury Avenue is a major street in the West End of London, named after Anthony Ashley Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury.
Sherwood Street, W1F Sherwood Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Slingsby Place, WC2E Slingsby Place is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area.
Smiths Court, W1D Smiths Court is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Spring Gardens, WC2N Spring Gardens derives its name from the Spring Garden, formed in the 16th century as an addition to the pleasure grounds of Whitehall Palace.
St James’s Chambers, SW1Y St James’s Chambers is a block located at 9 Ryder Street.
St James’s Market, SW1Y St James’s Market was part of the site of St James’s leper hospital in the Middle Ages, named after James, son of Zebedee.
St James’s Square, SW1Y St James’s Square is the only square in the district of St James’s.
St James’s Place, SW1A St James’s Place runs west from St James’s Street.
St James’s Street, SW1A St James’s Street is a main road of the West End running from Pall Mall to Piccadilly.
St Martins Court, WC2H St Martins Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area.
St Martins Lane, WC2N St Martins Lane runs up to Seven Dials from St Martin’s-in-the-Fields.
St Martins Place, WC2N St Martin’s Place is a short stretch connecting Trafalgar Square to the bottom of Charing Cross Road.
St Martins Street, WC2H St Martins Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area.
Strand, WC2N Strand begins its journey east at Trafalgar Square.
Suffolk Place, SW1Y The Earl of Suffolk (Thomas Howard) was the reason for the naming of Suffolk Place.
Suffolk Street, SW1Y Suffolk Street was named after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site.
Swallow Street, SW1Y Swallow Street honours Thomas Swallow, lessee in 1540 of the pastures on which the road was built.
The Arches, WC2N The Arches is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area.
The London Pavillion, SW1Y The London Pavilion is a building on Piccadilly Circus.
Tisbury Court, W1D Tisbury Court is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Trafalgar Square, WC2N Trafalgar Square commemorates Horatio Nelson’s 1805 victory at the Battle of Trafalgar.
Upper James Street, W1F Upper James Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Upper John Street, W1F Upper John Street is a road in the W1F postcode area
Upper St Martin’s Lane, WC2H This is a street in the WC2H postcode area
Vigo Street, W1J Vigo Street is a short street running west from Regent Street.
Villiers Street, WC2N Villiers Street was named after George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham
Walkers Court, Walkers Court lies within the postcode.
Walker’s Court, W1D Walker’s Court is one of the many passageways which in past years was known as ’Paved Alley’.
Wardour Street, W1D The W1D part of Wardour Street south of Shaftesbury Avenue runs through London’s Chinatown.
Warwick House Street, SW1A Warwick House Street formerly approached Warwick House, built in the 17th century for Sir Philip Warwick.
Warwick Street, W1B Warwick Street is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Waterloo Place, SW1Y Waterloo Place, an extension of Regent Street, is awash with statues and monuments that honour heroes of the British Empire.
Whitcomb Street, WC2H Whitcomb Street - named after William Whitcomb, 17th century brewer and property developer.
Whitehall Court, SW1A Whitehall Court is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area.
Whitehall Place, SW1A Whitehall Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area.
Whitehall, SW1A Whitehall is recognised as the centre of the government of the United Kingdom.
Wilder Walk, W1F This is a street in the W1B postcode area
William IV Street, WC2R William IV Street runs from Charing Cross Road to the Strand.
Winnett Street, W1D Winnett Street is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
York Place, WC2N York Place marks the location of a house on this site.

NEARBY PUBS
Admiral Duncan The Admiral Duncan is well-known as one of Soho’s oldest gay pubs.
[email protected] This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Blocks Cafe This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Cirque Du Soir This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Comptons Of Soho This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
De Hems De Hems has become a base for London’s Dutch community, serving bitterballen and frikandellen.
Duke Of Argyll This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Duke of Wellington This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Glasshouse Stores This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Golden Lion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Graphic Bar This bar used to be known as the Midas Touch.
Jamies Italian This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Leicester Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Lyric This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
New Ambassadors Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
O’Neills This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Old Coffee House This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Prince Of Wales Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Red Lion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Shampers Wine Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
St James’ Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
St Martin’s Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Sun & 13 Cantons This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Blue Posts This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Glassblower This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Life Goddess This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The O’ Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Queen’s Head This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Sussex This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Yard Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Waxy O’Connors This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Waxy’s Little Sister This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
West Harrow This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
White Horse This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 506 completed street histories and 46994 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


St Giles

St Giles is a district of central London, at the southern tip of the London Borough of Camden.

There has been a church at St Giles since Saxon times, located beside a major highway. The hospital of St Giles, recorded c. 1120 as Hospitali Sancti Egidii extra Londonium was founded, together with a monastery and a chapel, by Queen Matilda, wife of Henry I. St Giles (c. 650 – c. 710) was the patron saint of lepers and the hospital was home to a leper colony, the site chosen for its surrounding fields and marshes separating contagion from nearby London.

A village grew up to cater to the brethren and patients. The crossroads which is now St Giles Circus, where Oxford Street, Charing Cross Road, Tottenham Court Road and New Oxford St meet, was the site of a gallows until the fifteenth century. Grape Street, in the heart of the St Giles district, runs beside the site of the hospital’s vineyard.

The monastery was dissolved during the Reformation and a parish church created from the chapel. The hospital continued to care for lepers until the mid sixteenth century, when the disease abated and the hospital instead began to care for indigents. The parish was known as St Giles in the Fields and it is recorded in 1563 as Seynt Gyles in the Field.

The first post-Catholic parish church was built in 1631 and from the mid-seventeenth century church wardens note "a great influx of poor people into this parish".

The 1665 Great Plague started in St Giles and the first victims were buried in the St Giles churchyard. By September 1665, 8000 people were dying a week in London. By the end of the plague year there were 3216 listed plague deaths in St Giles parish, which had fewer than 2000 households. After the Restoration, the area was populated by Huguenot refugees who had fled persecution and established themselves as tradesmen and artisans, particularly in weaving and the silk trade.

The southern area of the parish, around present day Shaftesbury Avenue, was a wasteland named Cock and Pye Fields. Houses were not built there until 1666, after the Great Fire, and not fully developed until 1693, becoming known as Seven Dials. Thomas Neale built much of the area, giving his name to Neal Street and Neal’s Yard. St Giles and Seven Dials became known for their astrologers and alchemists, an association which lasts to this day. The village of St Giles stood on the main road from Holborn to Tyburn, a place of local execution. Convicted criminals were often allowed, in tradition, to stop at St Giles en route to Tyburn for a final drink - a St Giles Bowl - before hanging.

The ancient parish of St Giles in the Fields formed part of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. The parish of St George Bloomsbury was split off in 1731, but the parishes were combined for civil purposes in 1774 and used for the administration of the Poor Law after the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834.

As London grew in the 18th and 19th centuries, so did the parish’s population, rising to 30 000 by 1831. The Rookery stood between the church and Great Russell Street, and Seven Dials near where Centre Point stands today, now home to the Centrepoint homeless charity. It was of one of the worst slums within Britain, a site of overcrowding and squalor, a semi-derelict warren. From Georgian affluence in the 18th century, the area declined rapidly, as houses were divided up, many families sharing a single room. Irish Catholic immigrants seeking to escape desperate poverty took up residence and the slum was nicknamed ’Little Ireland’ or ’The Holy Land’. The expression "a St Giles cellar" passed into common parlance, describing the worst conditions of poverty. Open sewers often ran through rooms and cesspits were left untended. Residents complained to the Times in 1849 : "We live in muck and filth. We aint got no priviz, no dust bins, no drains, no water-splies, and no drain or suer in the hole place." The rookery was a maze of gin shops, prostitutes’ hovels and secret alleyways that police had little of hope navigating. William Hogarth, Thomas Rowlandson and Gustav Dore, among others, have drawn the area, novelists Henry Fielding and Charles Dickens have written about it extensively. Peter Ackroyd writes "The Rookeries embodied the worst living conditions in all of London’s history; this was the lowest point which human beings could reach".

From the 1830s to the 1870s plans were developed to demolish the slum as part of London wide clearances for improved transport routes, sanitation and the expansion of the railways. New Oxford Street was driven through the area to join the areas of Oxford Street and Holborn. The Rookery dwellers were not re-housed by the authorities. 5000 were evicted and many just moved into near by slums, such Devil’s Acre and Church Lane making those more overcrowded still. The unchanging character of the area, failing investment schemes and inability to sell new properties ensured that plans for wholesale clearance were stymied until the end of the century.

Upon the creation of the Metropolitan Board of Works in 1855 the combined parishes became the St Giles District and were transferred to the County of London in 1889.

The local government of London was reorganised in 1900 and St Giles became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Holborn.

The Central London Railway opened Tottenham Court Tube Station, between the Church of St Giles in the Fields and St Giles Circus on 30 July 1900. Tottenham Court Road underwent improvements in the early 1930s to replace lifts with escalators.

In 2009, Transport for London began a major reconstruction of large parts of the station. Much of the St Giles area alongside St Giles High Street was cleared to make way for the new development including Crossrail expansion.

Since 1965. St Giles has been part of the London Borough of Camden.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Click here to see Creative Commons images tagged with this road (if applicable)
William Shakespeare
TUM image id: 1509551019
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Transmission
TUM image id: 1509553463
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Hungerford Stairs circa 1828
TUM image id: 1557403389
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Tottenham Court Road (1927)
TUM image id: 1556973109
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Theatreland, Shaftesbury Avenue
Credit: IG/my.wandering.journey
Licence: CC BY 2.0


William Shakespeare
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Transmission
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Trafalgar Square was a former station on the Bakerloo Line before it combined with Strand station on the Northern Line to become the new Charing Cross underground station.
Credit: The Underground Map
Licence:


Strand stretches along the River Thames between Trafalgar Square and Aldwych
Credit: The Underground Map
Licence:


Piccadilly Theatre (2007)
Credit: Turquoisefish
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Buses outside the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. Date of photo unknown
Credit: Stockholm Transport Museum
Licence:


London Hippodrome in 2017
Credit: Ethan Doyle White
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Sectional view of Wyld’s Great Globe, which stood in Leicester Square, London 1851–62
Credit: Illustrated London News
Licence:


De Hems, 11 Macclesfield Street and the entrance to Horse & Dolphin Yard.
Credit: Colonel Warden
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy