White Conduit Fields

Sports field in/near Islington, existed between 1718 and 1831

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53448 -0.11011, 51.534 -0.11) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Sports field · Islington · N1 ·
MARCH
8
2017

White Conduit Fields in Islington was an early venue for cricket and several major matches are known to have been played there in the 18th century.

It was the original home of the White Conduit Club, forerunner of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC). The cricket field was adjacent to the former White Conduit House, immediately south of the modern junction between Dewey Street and Barnsbury Road.

The earliest match known to have been played at White Conduit Fields was the controversial encounter on Monday, 1 September 1718 between London Cricket Club and the Rochester Punch Club. This game provoked a legal case when the Rochester players walked off in an attempt to save their stake money, London clearly winning at the time. The case focused on the terms of the wager rather than the rules of the sport and the judge ordered the game to be played out. It was concluded in July 1719 at the same venue and London won by 21 runs. London’s 21-run victory is the earliest known definite result of any cricket match.

The next known match was on Wednesday, 19 August 1719 between London and Kent. Kent won and the contemporary report concludes with: "The Kentish men won the wager" (i.e., the wager was more important than the match). London and Kent met again on Saturday, 9 July 1720 and this time London won. There was no definite use of White Conduit Fields again until 1773.

White Conduit Fields fell into disuse after 1720 because the London cricketers preferred to play at Kennington Common and the Artillery Ground. Apart from a solitary match in 1773 between a London XI and a team called "England", the venue remained unrecorded until the formation of the White Conduit Club (WCC) around 1780. It became a major venue again from 1784 to 1786 when at least four matches involving the WCC were played there. It is believed that the club members were dissatisfied with the venue because it was "too open" and so they sought a more private location. They authorised Thomas Lord, one of the ground staff bowlers, to do the necessaries and find another venue.

Before the 1787 season, the club moved to what is now called Lord’s Old Ground in Marylebone and White Conduit Fields was abandoned.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Reg Carr   
Added: 10 Feb 2021 12:11 GMT   

Campbellite Meeting
In 1848 the Campbellites (Disciples of Christ) met in Elstree Street, where their congregation was presided over by a pastor named John Black. Their appointed evangelist at the time was called David King, who later became the Editor of the British Millennial Harbinger. The meeting room was visited in July 1848 by Dr John Thomas, who spoke there twice on his two-year ’mission’ to Britain.

Reply
Comment
Jeff Owen   
Added: 20 Mar 2021 16:18 GMT   

Owen’s School
Owen Street is the site of Owen’s Boys’ School. The last school was built in 1881 and was demolished in the early 1990s to make way for the development which stand there today. It was a “Direct Grant” grammar school and was founded in 1613 by Dame Alice Owen. What is now “Owen’s Fields” was the playground between the old school and the new girls’ school (known then as “Dames Alice Owen’s School” or simply “DAOS”). The boys’ school had the top two floors of that building for their science labs. The school moved to Potters Bar in Hertfordshire in 1971 and is now one of the top State comprehensive schools in the country. The old building remained in use as an accountancy college and taxi-drivers’ “knowledge” school until it was demolished. The new building is now part of City and Islington College. Owen’s was a fine school. I should know because I attended there from 1961 to 1968.

Reply
Comment
Carol   
Added: 7 May 2021 18:44 GMT   

Nan
My nan lily,her sister Elizabeth and their parents Elizabeth and William lived here in1911

Reply
Born here
Bernard Miller   
Added: 12 Apr 2022 17:36 GMT   

My mother and her sister were born at 9 Windsor Terrace
My mother, Millie Haring (later Miller) and her sister Yetta Haring (later Freedman) were born here in 1922 and 1923. With their parents and older brother and sister, they lived in two rooms until they moved to Stoke Newington in 1929. She always said there were six rooms, six families, a shared sink on the first floor landing and a toilet in the backyard.

Reply

Barry J. Page   
Added: 27 Jul 2022 19:41 GMT   

Highbury Corner V1 Explosion
Grandma described the V1 explosion at Highbury Corner on many occasions. She was working in the scullery when the flying bomb landed. The blast shattered all the windows in the block of flats and blew off the bolt on her front door. As she looked out the front room window, people in various states of injury and shock were making their way along Highbury Station Road. One man in particular, who was bleeding profusely from glass shard wounds to his neck, insisted in getting home to see if his family was all right. Others were less fortunate. Len, the local newsagent, comforted a man, who had lost both legs caused by the blast, until the victim succumbed to his injuries. The entire area was ravaged and following are statistics. The flying bomb landed during lunch hour (12:46 p.m.) on June 27th 1944. 26 people lost their lives, 84 were seriously injured and 71 slightly injured.

Reply
Comment
Lena    
Added: 18 Mar 2021 13:08 GMT   

White Conduit Street, N1
My mum, Rosina Wade of the Wade and Hannam family in the area of Chapel Street and Parkfield Street, bought her first “costume” at S Cohen’s in White Conduit Street. Would have probably been about 1936 or thereabouts. She said that he was a small man but an expert tailor. I hope that Islington Council preserve the shop front as it’s a piece of history of the area. Mum used to get her high heel shoes from an Italian shoe shop in Chapel Street. She had size 2 feet and they would let her know when a new consignment of size 2 shoes were in. I think she was a very good customer. She worked at Killingbacks artificial flower maker in Northampton Square and later at the Halifax bombers factory north of Edgware where she was a riveter.

Reply
Comment
Jack Wilson   
Added: 21 Jun 2022 21:40 GMT   

Penfold Printers
I am seeking the location of Penfold Printers Offices in Dt Albans place - probably about 1870 or so

Reply
Reply
Erin   
Added: 2 May 2022 01:33 GMT   

Windsor Terrace, N1
hello

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply
Lived here
Katharina Logan   
Added: 9 Aug 2022 19:01 GMT   

Ely place existed in name in 1857
On 7th July 1857 John James Chase and Mary Ann Weekes were married at St John the Baptist Hoxton, he of full age and she a minor. Both parties list their place of residence as Ely Place, yet according to other information, this street was not named until 1861. He was a bricklayer, she had no occupation listed, but both were literate and able to sign their names on their marriage certificate.

Source: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSF7-Q9Y7?cc=3734475

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Collins’ Music Hall Collins’ Music Hall was a notable Islington venue.
Islington Islington grew as a sprawling Middlesex village along the line of the Great North Road, and has provided the name of the modern borough.
Philharmonic Hall The Philharmonic Hall was a major music hall throughout the 1860s and early 1870s.
White Conduit Fields White Conduit Fields in Islington was an early venue for cricket and several major matches are known to have been played there in the 18th century.

NEARBY STREETS
Adrian House, N1 Adrian House is a block on Jays Street.
Affleck Street, N1 Affleck Street was built by a Mr A. Attneave in 1884.
Anderson Square, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Angel Arcade, EC1V Angel Arcade is named, along with many ’Angel’ streets of the area, after the famous pub.
Angel House, N1 Angel House is a block on Pentonville Road.
Angel Mews, N1 Angel Mews is an ancient side street in Islington.
Angel Square, EC1V Angel Square is one of the streets of London in the EC1V postal area.
Aztec Row, N1 Aztec Row is part of Berners Street, Islington.
Barford Street, N1 Barford Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Barnsbury Road, N1 Barnsbury Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Baron Street, N1 Baron Street is named after Joseph Barron, landlord of the White Lion inn during the late eighteenth century.
Batchelor Street, N1 Batchelor Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Berners House, N1 Berners House is a block on Barnsbury Road
Berners Road, N1 Berners Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Bradleys Close, N1 Bradleys Close is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Bridge Wharf, N1 Bridge Wharf is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Bromfield Street, N1 Bromfield Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Bryan Street, N1 The modern line of Bryan Street lies somewhat to the west of the original pre-Second World War line of the street.
Business Design Centre, N1 The Business Design Centre is a Grade II listed building located between Upper Street and Liverpool Road
Caledonian Road, N1 Caledonian Road runs north from King’s Cross.
Calshot Street, N1 Calshot Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Camden Passage, N1 Camden Passage was built as Cumberland Row in 1767.
Camden Street, N1 Camden Street once laid at the northern end of Camden Passage.
Camden Walk, N1 Camden Walk is one of the streets of the N1 postal area.
Carnegie Street, N1 Carnegie Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Chalbury Walk, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Chapel Market, N1 Chapel Market is a daily street market in Islington.
Chapel Place, N1 Chapel Place lies off the north side of Chapel Market towards Liverpool Road.
Charlotte Terrace, N1 Charlotte Terrace is a road in the N1 postcode area
Charlton Place, N1 Charlton Place runs east from Upper Street.
Claremont Close, EC1R Claremont Close is a road in the EC1R postcode area
Claremont Square, N1 Claremont Square is a square and reservoir on Pentonville Road.
Claremont Street, EC1R A street within the N1 postcode
Cloudesley Place, N1 Cloudesley Place is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Cloudesley Road, N1 Cloudesley Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Cloudesley Square, N1 Cloudesley Square is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Cloudesley Street, N1 Cloudesley Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Collier Street, N1 Collier Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Collins Yard, N1 Collins Yard is so-named as it ran alongside the Collins’ Music Hall giving access to the rear of the hall.
Copenhagen Street, N1 Copenhagen Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Cumming Street, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Cynthia Street, N1 Cynthia Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Denmark Grove, N1 Denmark Grove is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Dewey Road, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Dignum Street, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Donegal Street, N1 Donegal Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Doves Yard, N1 Doves Yard is a road in the N1 postcode area
Dowrey Street, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Duncan Street, N1 Duncan Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Duncan Terrace, N1 Duncan Terrace is named after Admiral Duncan the commander of the Naval Fleet at the Battle of Camperdown against the Dutch in 1797.
Eckford Street, N1 Eckford Street is a road in the N1 postcode area
Edward Square, N1 Edward Square is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Elia Mews, EC1V Elia Mews is a road in the N1 postcode area
Elia Street, N1 Elia Street was named for local poet, Charles Lamb.
Elystan Walk, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Everilda Street, N1 Everilda Street is a road in the N1 postcode area
Ewen House, N1 Ewen House is a block on Caledonian Road
Fife Terrace, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Fisher House, N1 Fisher House is a building on Barnsbury Road
Gibson Square, N1 Gibson Square is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Godson Street, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Grant Street, N1 The present Grant Street is the remnant of Warren Street, an L-shaped road running between Chapel Market and White Conduit Street, renamed Grant Street in 1936.
Half Moon Crescent, N1 Half Moon Crescent is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Harvest Lodge, N1 Harvest Lodge a plain brick, four-storey block of flats was built in 1962.
Hayward House, N1 Hayward House is a four-storey block of flats immediately north of St Silas’s Church.
Henry Place, N1 Henry Place predated the Barnsbury Estate.
Hermes Street, N1 Hermes Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Hill House Apartments, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Islington Green, N1 Islington Green is both a small green and a series of roads which surround it.
Islington High Street, EC1V Islington High Street is part of the main road through Islington at Angel.
James’s Gardens, N1 James’s Gardens was established in the 1810s.
Jays Street, N1 Jays Street dates from the 1950s reconfiguration of the area.
Jocelin House, N1 Jocelin House is a block on the Barnsbury Estate.
John’s Place, N1 John’s Place lead through an archway to Charles Street.
Julius Nyerere Close, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Leirum Street, N1 The name of Leirum Street is the result of Muriel Street being split in half post-war.
Lorenzo Street, N1 Lorenzo Street is a road in the N1 postcode area
Mandeville Houses, N1 Mandeville Houses, fronting Mantell Street and Liverpool Road was the earliest housing scheme built by Finsbury Borough Council.
Mantell Street, N1 Mantell Street, originally Sermon Lane, is now part of Tolpuddle Street.
Matilda Street, N1 Matilda Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Maygood Street, N1 Maygood Street is a road in the N1 postcode area
Moon Street, N1 Moon Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Muriel Street, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Noble Yard, N1 Noble Yard is a yard lying off Charlton Place.
Northeast Place, N1 Northeast Place matched the adjacent Northwest Place.
Northwest Place, N1 Northwest Place, off Chapel Market, was formerly West Place.
Old Royal Free Place, N1 Old Royal Free Place was the entrance to an old hospital.
Old Royal Free Square, N1 Old Royal Free Square is a road in the N1 postcode area
Orkney House, N1 Orkney House is a building on Copenhagen Street
Owen Street, EC1V Owen Street is a road in the EC1V postcode area
Parkfield Street, N1 Parkfield Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Payne House, N1 Payne House, along Charlotte Terrace and dating from 1937, is part of the Barnsbury Estate.
Payne Street, N1 Payne Street appeared on the map in 1837.
Penton Grove, N1 The narrow loop of Penton Grove, now reduced to an L-shaped alley, was laid out on the site of one of the bowling greens belonging to Prospect House (Dobney’s).
Penton Rise, WC1X Penton Rise is a road in the WC1X postcode area
Penton Street, N1 Penton Street is a through-route leading on to the narrower Barnsbury Road which continues its line northwards into Islington.
Pentonville Road, N1 Pentonville Road connects Kings Cross and the Angel, Islington.
Pentonville Road, WC1X Pentonville Road is a road in the WC1X postcode area
Pied Bull Yard, N1 Pied Bull Yard is a small Islington turning.
Pierrepoint Arcade, N1 Pierrepoint Arcade is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Pierrepoint Row, N1 Pierrepoint Row is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Pierrepont Arcade, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Pierrepont Row, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Pride Court, N1 Pride Court is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Prince’s Yard, N1 Prince’s Yard is a road in the N1 postcode area
Providence Court, N1 Providence Court is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Providence Place, N1P Providence Place lies beside the Screen On The Green.
Pultney Street, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Risinghill Street, N1 Risinghill Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Ritchie Street, N1 Ritchie Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Ritson House, N1 Ritson House is on the Caledonian Road.
Roding House, N1 Roding House is a residential block dating from the 1930s.
Rodney Street, N1 Rodney Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Seabrooke Place, N1 Seabrook Place once connected Angel Mews and White Lion Street.
Shalford Court, N1 Shalford Court is a road in the N1 postcode area
Sidney Grove, EC1V Sidney Grove is one of the streets of London in the EC1V postal area.
Southern Street, N1 Southern Street is a road in the N1 postcode area
Southwood Smith Street, N1 Southwood Smith Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
St Albans Place, N1 St Albans Place was home to a famous Islington strong man.
St Katharine’s House, N1 St Katharine’s House is at the corner of Penton Street and the eastern stub of what had been Wynford Road until that street was cut off to its west by the large Half Moon Estate.
Stonefield Street, N1 Stonefield Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Studd Street, N1 This is a street in the N1 postcode area
The Mall Camden Passage, N1 Charles Street in Islington disappeared under the Hilton hotel.
Theberton Street, N1 Theberton Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.
Thornhill Bridge Wharf, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Tolpuddle Street, N1 Tolpuddle Street is a more recent street of Islington.
Torrens Street, EC1V Torrens Street is one of the streets of London in the EC1V postal area.
Twyford Street, N1 Twyford Street is a road in the N1 postcode area
Union Square, N1 Union Square (sometime Union Court) was approached by a narrow alley.
Vincent Terrace, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
Warren Mews, N1 Warren Mews began in 1889.
Water Tower Place, N1 Water Tower Place is a road in the N1 postcode area
Weston Rise, N1 Weston Rise is a road in the N1 postcode area
White Conduit Street, N1 White Conduit Street was laid out and built up with houses and tenements from the mid-1790s.
White Horse Yard, N1 A street within the N1 postcode
White Lion Street, N1 White Lion Street is named after the former White Lion inn on Islington High Street.
Wicks Place, N1 Wicks Place is a location in London.
Wynford Road, N1 Wynford Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area.

NEARBY PUBS
Blackhorse Road Cote is a licenced premise on Islington Green.
Camden Head The Camden Head is a grade II listed building with a circular bar, etched glass windows and original mirrors.
Canal 125 This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Chapel Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Fox on the Green The Fox on the Green is one of Islington’s oldest pubs.
Kings Head This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Lucky Voice This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Marathon Restaurant This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Old Red Lion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Pig & Butcher This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Radicals & Victuallers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Star Space This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Steam Passage This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Angel This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Angelic This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bull This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Castle The Castle stands on the corner of Pentonville Road and Baron Street.
The Craft Beer Co. Islington This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Crown This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Joker of Penton Street The Joker of Penton Street was the Salmon and Compasses.
The Lexington This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Nag’s Head This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Three Johns This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Thornhill Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
York This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


Islington

Islington grew as a sprawling Middlesex village along the line of the Great North Road, and has provided the name of the modern borough.

Some roads on the edge of the area, including Essex Road, were known as streets by the medieval period, possibly indicating a Roman origin, but little physical evidence remains. What is known is that the Great North Road from Aldersgate came into use in the 14th century, connecting with a new turnpike up Highgate Hill. This was along the line of modern Upper Street, with a toll gate at The Angel defining the extent of the village. The Back Road - modern Liverpool Road - was primarily a drovers’ road where cattle would be rested before the final leg of their journey to Smithfield. Pens and sheds were erected along this road to accommodate the animals.

The first recorded church, St Mary’s, was erected in the twelfth century and was replaced in the fifteenth century. Islington lay on the estates of the Bishop of London and the Dean and Chapter of St Pauls. There were substantial medieval moated manor houses in the area, principally at Canonbury and Highbury. In 1548, there were 440 communicants listed and the rural atmosphere, with access to the City and Westminster, made it a popular residence for the rich and eminent. The local inns, however, harboured many fugitives and recusants.

In the 17th and 18th centuries the availability of water made Islington a good place for growing vegetables to feed London. The manor became a popular excursion destination for Londoners, attracted to the area by its rural feel. Many public houses were therefore built to serve the needs of both the excursionists and travellers on the turnpike. By 1716, there were 56 ale-house keepers in Upper Street, also offering pleasure and tea gardens, and activities such as archery, skittle alleys and bowling. By the 18th century, music and dancing were offered, together with billiards, firework displays and balloon ascents. The King’s Head Tavern, now a Victorian building with a theatre, has remained on the same site, opposite the parish church, since 1543. The founder of the theatre, Dan Crawford, who died in 2005, disagreed with the introduction of decimal coinage. For twenty-plus years after decimalisation (on 15 February 1971), the bar continued to show prices and charge for drinks in ’old money’.

By the 19th century many music halls and theatres were established around Islington Green. One such was Collins’ Music Hall, the remains of which are now partly incorporated into a bookshop. The remainder of the Hall has been redeveloped into a new theatre, with its entrance at the bottom of Essex Road. It stood on the site of the Landsdowne Tavern, where the landlord had built an entertainment room for customers who wanted to sing (and later for professional entertainers). It was founded in 1862 by Samuel Thomas Collins Vagg and by 1897 had become a 1800-seat theatre with 10 bars. The theatre suffered damage in a fire in 1958 and has not reopened.

The Islington Literary and Scientific Society was established in 1833 and first met in Mr Edgeworth’s Academy on Upper Street. Its goal was to spread knowledge through lectures, discussions, and experiments - politics and theology being forbidden. A building, the Literary and Scientific Institution, was erected in 1837 in Wellington (later Almeida) Street, designed by Roumieu and Gough in a stuccoed Grecian style. It included a library (containing 3,300 volumes in 1839), reading room, museum, laboratory, and lecture theatre seating 500.

The Royal Agricultural Hall was built in 1862 on the Liverpool Road site of William Dixon’s Cattle Layers. It was built for the annual Smithfield Show in December of that year but was popular for other purposes, including recitals and the Royal Tournament. It was the primary exhibition site for London until the 20th century and the largest building of its kind, holding up to 50,000 people. It was requisitioned for use by the Mount Pleasant sorting office during World War II and never re-opened. The main hall has now been incorporated into the Business Design Centre.

The aerial bombing of World War II caused much damage to Islington’s housing stock, with 3,200 dwellings destroyed. Before the war a number of 1930s council housing blocks had been added to the stock. After the war, partly as a result of bomb site redevelopment, the council housing boom got into its stride, reaching its peak in the 1960s: several extensive estates were constructed, by both the Metropolitan Borough of Islington and the London County Council. Clearance of the worst terraced housing was undertaken, but Islington continued to be very densely populated, with a high level of overcrowding. The district has many council blocks, and the local authority has begun to replace some of them.

From the 1960s, the remaining Georgian terraces were rediscovered by middle-class families. Many of the houses were rehabilitated, and the area became newly fashionable. This displacement of the poor by the aspirational has become known as gentrification. Among the new residents were a number of figures who became central in the New Labour movement, including Tony Blair before his victory in the 1997 general election. According to The Guardian in 2006, "Islington is widely regarded as the spiritual home of Britain’s left-wing intelligentsia." The Granita Pact between Gordon Brown and Tony Blair is said to have been made at a now defunct restaurant on Upper Street.

The completion of the Victoria line and redevelopment of Angel tube station created the conditions for developers to renovate many of the early Victorian and Georgian townhouses. They also built new developments. Islington remains a district with diverse inhabitants, with its private houses and apartments not far from social housing in immediately neighbouring wards such as Finsbury and Clerkenwell to the south, Bloomsbury and King’s Cross to the west, and Highbury to the north west, and also the Hackney districts of De Beauvoir and Old Street to the north east.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
The Angel, Islington (c.1890)
TUM image id: 1557162442
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The third Grand Theatre, Islington (1903). This was built on the site of the former Philharmonic Hall and two previous Grand Theatres
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Islington Horse and Cattle market at the turn of the twentieth century.
Licence: CC BY 2.0


A line of children hold hands as they walk along the middle of White Conduit Street towards the junction with Chapel Market in Islington.
Credit: John Gay/Historic England
Licence: CC BY 2.0


The Grand Theatre, Islington High Street (1903)
Licence: CC BY 2.0


The Angel, Islington (c.1890)
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Sadler House on the Spa Green Estate from Rosebery Avenue (2011) The ’organic’ connection between old and new buildings intended by architect Berthold Lubetkin at Spa Green.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Grantham9
Licence: CC BY 2.0


The Royal Agricultural Hall, Islington (1861). View from Liverpool Road.
Credit: Wiki Commons
Licence:


Caledonian Road looking north towards Holloway
Old London postcard
Licence:


Chapel Market from the east (1898). Chapel Market is a daily street market, located on a street of the same name near Angel. It sells fruit, vegetables and fish, as well as bargain household goods and cheap clothes. It is open every day except Monday, operating in the mornings only on Thursday and Sunday. Many of the patrons are local, and food and wares for sale are primarily for daily use.
Licence:


Mandeville Houses, Mantell Street, Islington. Looking south-west, c. 1930. E.C.P. Monson & Partners were the architects in 1927. It was demolished in 1980 to built a Sainsbury’s.
Credit: London Borough of Finsbury
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy