St Aloysius Social Club
|MAP YEAR:||1750||1800||1810||1820||1830||1860||1900||1950||2022||Show map without markers|
|ZOOM:||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17 18||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17 18|
|TIP: To create a sharable map, right click on it above|
|Click here to explore another London street|
We now have 507 completed street histories and 46993 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS
|CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY|
Added: 7 Jan 2022 07:17 GMT
Smithy in Longacre
John Burris 1802-1848 Listed 1841 census as Burroughs was a blacksmith, address just given as Longacre.
Source: Batham/Wiseman - Family Tree
Added: 10 Feb 2021 12:11 GMT
In 1848 the Campbellites (Disciples of Christ) met in Elstree Street, where their congregation was presided over by a pastor named John Black. Their appointed evangelist at the time was called David King, who later became the Editor of the British Millennial Harbinger. The meeting room was visited in July 1848 by Dr John Thomas, who spoke there twice on his two-year ’mission’ to Britain.
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT
Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"
A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.
The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.
In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.
Added: 7 May 2021 18:44 GMT
My nan lily,her sister Elizabeth and their parents Elizabeth and William lived here in1911
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s
Added: 22 Feb 2021 04:33 GMT
Tisbury Court Jazz Bar
Jazz Bar opened in Tisbury Court by 2 Australians. Situated in underground basement. Can not remember how long it opened for.
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT
Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.
|LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT|
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT
Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT
Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."
From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.
Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT
The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT
Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.
He was awarded a £10 bonus.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT
The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT
TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.
|NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE|
BT Tower The Post Office Tower - now known as the BT Tower - opened in the Fitzrovia area of central London in 1965. The tower’s main structure was 177 metres high. A further section of aerial rigging brought the total height to 191m. It was the tallest building in the UK until London’s NatWest Tower opened in 1980.
Credit: Wiki Commons
TUM image id: 1481989234
Fairyland, 92 Tottenham Court Road (1905) Fairyland was an amusement arcade with a shooting range, owned and run by Henry Stanton Morley (1875-1916) during the period leading up to and during the First World War. It was closed after (unintentionally according to its owners), it was used to practice political assassinations. Notably, attempts on the life of Prime Minister Herbert Asquith (planned but not carried out) and Sir William Hutt Curzon Wyllie (carried out).
TUM image id: 1490541720
Block of flats on the Regent’s Park Estate (2009) A large housing estate in the London Borough of Camden built after 1951, most of the estate is named after places in the Lake District such as Windermere, Cartmel and Rydal Water.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Sheila Madhvani
TUM image id: 1656943297
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Carreras Cigarette factory, Mornington Crescent area This started life at the Acadia Works on City Road in the 19th century. It was a small business owned by Don Jose Carreras Ferrer who sold cigarettes, cigars and snuff out of small shops. A black cat began to curl up and sleep in the window of the shop near Leicester Square in Prince’s Street and the shop became known locally as "The Black Cat Shop". After the cigarette making machine was invented, the business required a large factory and moved to Hampstead Road between 1926 and 1928. It was designed by architect brothers, Marcus and Owen Collins with George Porri as their consultant. The black cat became the company’s logo. In 1959 the company merged with Rothmans and moved to Basildon, Essex. In the early 1960s the building became offices. The Egyptian décor was stripped away and the two cat statues removed. When the building got new owners in 1996, its former grandeur was restored. The building was later called “Greater London House” having become an office building.
TUM image id: 1660650534
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The March Of The Guards To Finchley - outside the Adam and Eve Tea Rooms.
Credit: William Hogarth
TUM image id: 1488380896
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Taste of India restaurant, Drummond Street, NW1 (2022)
Credit: The Underground Map
TUM image id: 1658497652
Licence: CC BY 2.0