St James Duke's Place

(51.5139 -0.07835, 51.513 -0.078) 

St James Duke's Place

The church survived the Great Fire of London, but fell into disrepair and was rebuilt in 1727, retaining much of the original woodwork.

The poverty of the Aldgate area made it increasingly difficult to raise funds to maintain the church; Godwin described it as being 'in a very dirty and dilapidated state'. In 1874, under the 1860 Union of Benefices Act, it was demolished and the parish joined to that of St Katherine Cree. The site of the church is now occupied by the Sir John Cass School.

Attribution: Robert William Billings and John Le Keux

Licence: Not known