Hungerford Stairs circa 1828

(51.50726 -0.1234, 51.507 -0.123) 

Hungerford Stairs circa 1828

Hungerford Stairs led down to the water, where landings could be made. The formation of floating piers at the quay facilitated the arrival and departure of numerous steam boats that left during the summer months every quarter of an hour, for the City, Westminster, and Vauxhall, and at other times for Greenwich and Woolwich.

When Hungerford Market was sold to the South Eastern Railway, the railway company demolished the stairs, building Charing Cross railway station over the top of the site.

Attribution: User unknown/public domain

Licence: Not known