Hopton’s Almshouses, SE1

Estate in/near Southwark, existing between 1752 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.506623 -0.102435, 51.506 -0.102) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Estate · Southwark · SE1 ·
MAY
1
2014
Hopton Street has had almshouses since 1752.

xx
Before the days of state provision for the old, infirm or poor, it was common for wealthy individuals to bequeath money or property to the local parish or to set up independent institutions to assist those in need locally. Many ancient parishes have such institutions and many almshouses still survive.

Hoptons Almshouses were founded from a trust set up by the will of Charles Hopton and provided accommodation for 26 residents, financial grants and fuel.

It is unusual to find one founded as early as 1752 still in its original form, carrying out its original function, so close to London.

This photo was taken in 1957. The modern view of these almshouses would take in the huge NEO Bankside development behind which has dramatically altered the atmosphere of the courtyard.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Scott Hatton   
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT   

Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.

In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.

Reply
Comment
Bruce McTavish   
Added: 11 Mar 2021 11:37 GMT   

Kennington Road
Lambeth North station was opened as Kennington Road and then Westminster Bridge Road before settling on its final name. It has a wonderful Leslie Green design.

Reply
Comment
Richard Lake   
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT   

Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Reply
Comment
MCNALLY    
Added: 17 May 2021 09:42 GMT   

Blackfriars (1959 - 1965)
I lived in Upper Ground from 1959 to 1964 I was 6 years old my parents Vince and Kitty run the Pub The Angel on the corner of Upper Ground and Bodies Bridge. I remember the ceiling of the cellar was very low and almost stretched the length of Bodies Bridge. The underground trains run directly underneath the pub. If you were down in the cellar when a train was coming it was quite frightening

Reply

Johnshort   
Added: 7 Oct 2017 21:07 GMT   

Hurley Road, SE11
There were stables in the road mid way - also Danny reading had a coal delivery lorry.

Reply
Comment
Robert smitherman   
Added: 23 Aug 2017 11:01 GMT   

Saunders Street, SE11
I was born in a prefab on Saunders street SE11 in the 60’s, when I lived there, the road consisted of a few prefab houses, the road originally ran from Lollard street all the way thru to Fitzalan street. I went back there to have a look back in the early 90’s but all that is left of the road is about 20m of road and the road sign.

Reply
Reply
Tom   
Added: 21 May 2021 23:07 GMT   

Blackfriars
What is, or was, Bodies Bridge?

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 14:31 GMT   

correction
Chaucer did not write Pilgrims Progress. His stories were called the Canterbury Tales

Reply
Born here
sam   
Added: 31 Dec 2021 00:54 GMT   

Burdett Street, SE1
I was on 2nd July 1952, in Burdett chambers (which is also known as Burdett buildings)on Burdett street

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Richard Lake   
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT   

Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Reply
Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
The Ring The Ring was a boxing stadium which once stood on Blackfriars Road in Southwark.

NEARBY STREETS
All Hallows Place, SE1 All Hallows Place disappeared due to Second World World bombing.
America Street, SE1 America Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Anchor Terrace, SE1 Anchor Terrace is a large symmetrical building on the east side of Southwark Bridge Road, situated very close to the River Thames.
Applegarth House, SE1 Residential block
Aquinas Street, SE1 Aquinas Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Argent Street, SE1 Silver Street connected Orange Street (now Copperfield Street) and Loman Street.
Ayres Street, SE1 Ayres Street was formerly known as Whitecross Street.
Bankside Lofts, SE1 Bankside Lofts is a block in Southwark.
Bankside, SE1 Bankside is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Barge House Street, SE1 Barge House Street is a renamed section of Upper Ground Street.
Bear Gardens, SE1 Bear Gardens is the site of a medieval pleasure ground.
Bear Lane, SE1 Bear Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Benbow House, SE1 Benbow House is a block on New Globe Walk
Benson House, SE1 Benson House is a block on Hatfields
Black Friars Road, SE1 Black Friars Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Blackfriars Road, SE1 Blackfriars Road runs between St George’s Circus at the southern end and Blackfriars Bridge over the River Thames at the northern end, leading to the City of London.
Brad Street, SE1 Brad Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Bridge Walk, EC4V Bridge Walk is a road in the SE8 postcode area
Brinton Walk, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Broadwall, SE1 Broadwall is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Burrell Street, SE1 Burrell Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Burrows Mews, SE1 Burrows Mews is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Canvey Street, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Cardinal Cap Alley, SE1 Cardinal Cap Alley is an alley in Bankside.
Chancel Street, SE1 Chancel Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Clennam Street, SE1 Clennam Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Coin Street, SE1 Coin Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Colombo Street, SE1 Colombo Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Columbo House, SE1 Columbo House is a block on Blackfriars Road.
Cons Street, SE1 Emma Cons was the founder of the Royal Victoria Coffee Music Hall, that later became known as the Old Vic.
Copperfield Street, SE1 Copperfield Street was named after the novel David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, by association with nearby Dickens Square.
Cornwall Road, SE1 Cornwall Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Cornwall Road, SE1 Ethelm House is a block near Waterloo Station.
Dolben Street, SE1 Dolben Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Dorset House, SE1 Dorset House is a block on Stamford Street.
Doyce Street, SE1 Doyce Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Duchy Street, SE1 Duchy Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Emerson Street, SE1 Emerson Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Enterprise House, SE1 Residential block
Europoint House, SW8 Europoint House is a location in London.
Ewer Street, SE1 Ewer Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Falcon Point Piazza, SE1 Falcon Point Piazza is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Gabriels Wharf, SE1 Gabriels Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Gambia Street, SE1 Gambia Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Gare Apartments, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Gay Street, SE1 Gay Street is a road in the SW15 postcode area
Grande Vitesse Industrial Centre, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Great Guildford Business Square, SE1 Great Guildford Business Square is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Great Guildford Street, SE1 Great Guildford Street runs north-south in Southwark.
Greet Street, SE1 Greet Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Hatfields, SE1 Hatfields is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Heath Lodge, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Henry House, SE1 Henry House is a residential block.
Holland Street, SE1 Today’s Holland Street was originally part of a street called Gravel Lane.
Hopton Street, SE1 Hopton Street was known as Green Walk until the late nineteenth century.
Invicta Plaza, SE1 Invicta Plaza is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Isabella Street, SE1 Isabella Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Joan Street, SE1 Joan Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Kings Reach, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Lagare Apartments, SE1 Lagare Apartments is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Lavington Street, SE1 Lavington Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Lockesley Square, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Loman Street, SE1 Loman Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Marlborough Gardens, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Meymott Street, SE1 Meymott Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Millennium Bridge, EC4V Millennium Bridge is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area.
Miller Walk, SE1 Miller Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Milroy Walk, SE1 Milroy Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Nelson Square, SE1 Nelson Square is a road in the SE1 postcode area
New Globe Walk, SE1 New Globe Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Nicholson Street, SE1 Nicholson Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Old Barge House Alley, SE1 This is an article about Old Barge House Alley.
Oxo Tower Wharf, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Paris Garden, SE1 Paris Garden is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Pepper Street, SE1 Pepper Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Platts Lane, WC1R Platts Lane is a location in London.
Price’s Street, SE1 Price’s Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Queenhithe, EC4V Queenhithe is a small and ancient ward of the City of London, situated by the River Thames and a minor street.
Rennie Street, SE1 Rennie Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Risborough Street, SE1 Risborough Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Riverside Walk, SE1 Riverside Walk is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Robinson Road, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Rose Alley, SE1 Rose Alley is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Roupell Street, SE1 Roupell Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Rowland Hill House, SE1 Rowland Hill House is a block on Union Street
Samford Street, SE1 Samford Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Sandell Street, SE1 Sandell Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Scoresby Street, SE1 Scoresby Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Solomon Way, E1 Solomon Way is a location in London.
Southwalk Street, SE1 Southwalk Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Southwark Bridge Road, SE1 Southwark Bridge Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Southwark Bridge, EC4V Southwark Bridge is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Southwark Street, SE1 Southwark Street is a major street just south of the River Thames. It runs between Blackfriars Road to the west and Borough High Street to the east.
St. Georges Cottages, SE1 St. Georges Cottages is a location in London.
Stamford Street, SE1 Stamford Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Sumner Street, SE1 Sumner Street runs from Great Guildford Street to Southwark Bridge Road.
Thames Reach, SE28 Thames Reach is a location in London.
The Blue Fin Building, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
The Cut, SE1 Lower Marsh and The Cut, with its street market, formed the commercial heart of the area from the early 19th century.
The Terrace, SE1 The Terrace is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Theed Street, SE1 Theed Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Thrale Street, SE1 Thrale Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Union Street, SE1 Union Street was so-called as it linked two other streets.
Upper Ground, SE1 Upper Ground is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Waterloo Court, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Wayerloo Court, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Whittlesey Street, SE1 Whittlesey Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Windmill Walk, SE1 Windmill Walk is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Wootton Street, SE1 Wootton Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Zoar Street, SE1 Zoar Street is named after the former Zoar Chapel here, named for the Biblical Zoara.

NEARBY PUBS
Bankside house This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Blackfriars wine bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Charles dickens This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Doggetts coat & badge This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Founders arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Lord clyde This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Mar i terra This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Prince william henry This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Rose & crown This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Rose & crown p h This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Anchor And Hope This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Kings Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The lord nelson This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The mad hatter hotel This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Mulberry Bush This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Pepys This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Ring The Ring stands on the corner of The Cut and Blackfriars Road.
The union jack nolia gallary This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Windmill This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
White hart This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


Southwark

Southwark is the area immediately south of London Bridge, opposite the City of London.

Southwark is on a previously marshy area south of the River Thames. Recent excavation has revealed prehistoric activity including evidence of early ploughing, burial mounds and ritual activity. The area was originally a series of islands in the River Thames. This formed the best place to bridge the Thames and the area became an important part of Londinium owing its importance to its position as the endpoint of the Roman London Bridge. Two Roman roads, Stane Street and Watling Street, met at Southwark in what is now Borough High Street.

At some point the Bridge fell or was pulled down. Southwark and the city seem to have become largely deserted during the Early Middle Ages. Archaeologically, evidence of settlement is replaced by a largely featureless soil called the Dark Earth which probably (although this is contested) represents an urban area abandoned.

Southwark appears to recover only during the time of King Alfred and his successors. Sometime in and around 886 AD the Bridge was rebuilt and the City and Southwark restored. Southwark was called ’Suddringa Geworc’ which means the ’defensive works of the men of Surrey’. It was probably fortified to defend the bridge and hence the re-emerging City of London to the north. This defensive role is highlighted by the use of the Bridge as a defense against King Swein, his son King Cnut and in 1066, against King William the Conqueror. He failed to force the Bridge during the Norman conquest of England, but Southwark was devastated.

Much of Southwark was originally owned by the church - the greatest reminder of monastic London is Southwark Cathedral, originally the priory of St Mary Overy.

During the Middle Ages, Southwark remained outside of the control of the City and was a haven for criminals and free traders, who would sell goods and conduct trades outside the regulation of the City Livery Companies. An important market - later to become known as the Borough Market - was established there some time in the 13th century. The area was renowned for its inns, especially The Tabard, from which Chaucer’s pilgrims set off on their journey in The Canterbury Tales.

After many decades’ petitioning, in 1550, Southwark was incorporated into the City of London as ’The Ward of Bridge Without’. It became the entertainment district for London, and it was also the red-light area. In 1599, William Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre was built on the South Bank in Southwark, though it burned down in 1613. A modern replica, also called the Globe, has been built near the original site. Southwark was also a favorite area for entertainment like bull and bear-baiting. There was also a famous fair in Southwark which took place near the Church of St. George the Martyr. William Hogarth depicted this fair in his engraving of Southwark Fair (1733).

In 1844 the railway reached Southwark with the opening of London Bridge station.

In 1861 the Great Fire of Southwark destroyed a large number of buildings between Tooley Street and the Thames, including those around Hays Wharf, where Hays Galleria was later built, and blocks to the west almost as far as St Olave’s Church.

In 1899 Southwark was incorporated along with Newington and Walworth into the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark, and in 1965 this was incorporated with the Metropolitan Borough of Camberwell and Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey into the London Borough of Southwark.

Southwark tube station was opened on 20 November 1999 as part of the Jubilee Line Extension.

The original plan for the Extension did not include a station between those at Waterloo and London Bridge; Southwark station was added after lobbying by the local council. Although it is close to Waterloo, not near the Bankside attractions it was intended to serve, and its only rail interchange is to London Waterloo East mainline station; the passenger usage matches those of other minor central stations. It does however get over double the traffic of nearby Borough station and around triple Lambeth North.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Postal area SE1
TUM image id: 1483541461
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Hopton Street, Borough, 1977.
TUM image id: 1557142131
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Ring, Blackfriars Road, SE1 (1925) Although established as a boxing venue in 1910, the building dated from 1783 as the Surrey Congregational Chapel by the Reverend Rowland Hill - who reportedly opted for the unusual, circular design so that there would be no corners in which the devil could hide. The person responsible for overseeing the chapel’s conversion was Dick Burge, a former English middleweight champion from Cheltenham. The former place of worship was then a warehouse. Dick and his wife Bella Burge enlisted the help of local homeless people to clean out the building and transform it into a state fit for presenting boxing to the public. The Ring opened on 14 May 1910, with the Blackfriars arena soon staging events four to five times a week, and the name from the circular shape of the building. The term "boxing ring" is not derived from the name of the building, contrary to local legend, but - still from the capital - instead from the London Prize Ring Rules in 1743, which specified a small circle in the centre of the fight area where the boxers met at the start of each round. The term ’ringside seat’ dates from the 1860s.
TUM image id: 1509724629
Licence:
Amen Court, EC4M
TUM image id: 1493474208
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Ayres Street
TUM image id: 1544924072
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Postal area SE1
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Tate Modern viewed from Thames pleasure boat (2003)
Credit: Christine Matthews
Licence: CC BY 2.0


The Southwark Street estate was opened in 1876. Originally there were 12 blocks, with 22 flats in each one. In the 1960s two blocks in the centre of the estate were demolished as part of a modernisation programme, which created a space for the construction of a children’s play area. In the 1990s a block near the estate boundary was pulled down, and some adjoining land was purchased. This enabled the building of new blocks with a frontage to Great Guildford Street, which include some shop units.
Licence: CC BY 2.0


The Ring, Blackfriars Road, SE1 (1925) Although established as a boxing venue in 1910, the building dated from 1783 as the Surrey Congregational Chapel by the Reverend Rowland Hill - who reportedly opted for the unusual, circular design so that there would be no corners in which the devil could hide. The person responsible for overseeing the chapel’s conversion was Dick Burge, a former English middleweight champion from Cheltenham. The former place of worship was then a warehouse. Dick and his wife Bella Burge enlisted the help of local homeless people to clean out the building and transform it into a state fit for presenting boxing to the public. The Ring opened on 14 May 1910, with the Blackfriars arena soon staging events four to five times a week, and the name from the circular shape of the building. The term "boxing ring" is not derived from the name of the building, contrary to local legend, but - still from the capital - instead from the London Prize Ring Rules in 1743, which specified a small circle in the centre of the fight area where the boxers met at the start of each round. The term ’ringside seat’ dates from the 1860s.
Licence:


At the southern end of Carmelite Street in the City of London stood the Victorian-era Whitefriars Fire Station.
Credit: Wiki Commons
Licence:


No 37 Cheapside on the corner of Friday Street (c.1880) The ’Society for Photographing Relics of Old London’ was formed when the Oxford Arms - a traditional galleried pub - was about to be pulled down as part of the new Old Bailey development in 1875. The society subsequently campaigned to record disappearing sights, hurriedly commissioning photographs to capture buildings for posterity. Between 1875 and 1886 they produced photographic records of further buildings under threat, which were issued with descriptive text by the painter (and founder of the Society) Alfred Marks. The focus was architectural, not social; the photographs deliberately exclude signs, notices, people and traffic, to concentrate on the appearance of the bricks and mortar. Few of the streets in their images remain. This section of Friday Street was demolished after the Second World War.
Credit: Society for Photographing Relics of Old London
Licence:


Hopton’s Almshouses
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Lant Street, Southwark In 1824, when Charles Dickens was 12 years old, his father, John Dickens, was arrested and sent to Marshalsea Prison for failure to pay a debt. During this time, Charles (the only member of the family not imprisoned) took up residence in the back-attic of a house on Lant Street, a short walk away from the prison. Lant Street was in an area known as "The Mint" which was notorious for its overcrowded conditions.
Licence:


Postcard of the then-new Victoria Embankment (1890s) The Victoria Embankment was primarily designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette. It incorporates the main low level interceptor sewer and the underground District Line over which a wide road and riverside walkway were built.
Old London postcard
Licence:


Cardinal Cap Alley is an alley in Bankside. Bankside was a bawdy place, full of taverns, brothels then called ’stews’ from the stewhouses, which were steam baths doubling as brothels. There were bear and bull-baiting pits and, in the time of Shakespeare, public theatres. Cardinal Cap Alley, off Bankside, used to lead to a brothel called the The Cardinal’s Cap which was so-called because it had been owned by Henry Beaufort, the Bishop of Winchester, who had paraded here, wearing his red hat, after being appointed a cardinal by the Pope. In the photo, the entrance to Cardinal Cap Alley is under the lamp, left of the yellow door.
Credit: Peter Holmes
Licence:


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy