Area photos


 HOME  ·  ABOUT  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MARKERS OFF  ·  BLOG 
(51.51955 -0.11673, 51.519 -0.116) 


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Click here to see Creative Commons images tagged with this road (if applicable)
Bow Street on the Monopoly board
TUM image id: 1707139376
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Cromer Street
TUM image id: 1547917827
Licence:

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The old wooden Temple Bar
Credit: Walter Thornbury
Licence: CC BY 2.0


The Royal Opera House, Bow Street frontage, with the statue of Dame Ninette de Valois in the foreground
Credit: Russ London
Licence:


British Museum station
Credit: London Transport Museum
Licence:


William Davenant had Lisle
Credit: Henry Herringman, London, 1673
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Mount Pleasant Sorting Office on the north-east corner of Farringdon Road (1910) The present building is on the site of the Coldbath Fields Prison where the punishments were particularly cruel in that they were not only long and physically hard but also pointless. The pub at the back used to open at 9am to serve postal workers.
Licence:


On the wall of the Dolphin Tavern pub on the corner of Red Lion Street and Lambs Conduit Passage, there is an old clock with its hands stuck at 10:40. The clock stopped on the evening of 8 September 1915, when the pub was completely destroyed in a Zeppelin bombing raid. The clock was found in the rubble and the pub was rebuilt.
Credit: Wiki Commons
Licence:


Bow Street on the Monopoly board
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Coldbath Square in Clerkenwell was named after a cold water well that stood originally in fields. Cold Bath was fed by a spring which was discovered by a Mr Baynes in 1697. The discoverer declared the water had great power in nervous diseases, and "equalled those of St Magnus and St Winnifred". The bathing hours were from 5am to 1pm, the charge two shillings. The old bathhouse was a building with three gables, and had a large garden with four turret summer houses. In 1811 the trustees of the London Fever Hospital bought the property for £3830, but, being driven away by the frightened inhabitants, the ground was sold for building, the bath remaining as late as 1865.
Licence:


Doughty Street is a broad tree lined street in the Holborn district.
Licence:


Muffin Man (1910) Probably this location is not ’Drury Lane’, but it is at least somewhere in London
Credit: Bishopsgate Institute
Licence: