Twyford Abbey Road, NW10
Twyford Abbey Road during the 1890s.

The photo was taken from a glass negative belonging to local photographer Mr Upjohn. When he died, he bequeathed his whole collection of Acton photos to the then Borough Librarian, Charles Hocking, who used to show them to local societies. When Mr Hocking died, he, in turn, bequeathed them to Ealing Library.

Credit: User unknown/public domain
The name of Twyford Abbey Road was adopted from the nearby Twyford Abbey.

Twyford was listed as ’Tveverde’ in the Domesday book of 1086 and means ’(place beside a) double ford’. In 1474, Sir John Elrington was "lord of the place of Twyford" and his manor house was then probably Lower Place Farm beside Barrett’s Green on Acton Lane.

In 1806 the Twyford manor house was sold to Thomas Willan. Willan engaged the architect William Atkinson to design an extensive ‘Gothick’ mansion around the original house. It was built between 1807-9. Willan gave his house a romantic pseudo-monastic association, calling it ’Twyford Abbey’.

In 1902 the Alexian Brothers bought Twyford Abbey and turned it into a Roman Catholic nursing home. West Twyford Farm remained as part of the grounds.

The road formerly called Twyford Lane was renamed Twyford Abbey Road to avoid confusion with the Acton lane of the same name.

Nearby was the site of the Royal Agricultural Society showgrounds at Park Royal. The Society planned to make Twyford the show’s permanent home - and Coronation Road was built to provide access. Opening at the turn of the twentieth century the showgrounds were not successful and closed after only a few years.

Park Royal & Twyford Abbey was a London Underground station, located near to Twyford Abbey Road and which opened in 1903 to serve the showgrounds. It was on the District Railway on a route now utilised by the Uxbridge branch of the Piccadilly line.

return to article