Poplar High Street, E14

Road in/near Blackwall, existing until now

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
1 West India Quay · Abbott Road · Aberfeldy Street · Aberfeldy Village · Acme Studios · Ada Gardens · Adams Place · Adderley Street · Ailsa Street · Ailsa Street · Andrew Street · Appleby Road · Arcadia Street · Ashburton Road · Athol Square · Au · Augusta Street · Aviary Close · Badminton Mews · Baffin Way · Balmore Close · Barking Road · Bartlett Close · Bartlett Park · Bazely Street · Beaulieu Avenue · Beckton Road · Bellmouth Passage · Bellmouth Promenade West · Bellmouth Walk · Benledi Road · Benledi Street · Bf · Biscayne Avenue · Blackwall · Blackwall Trading Estate · Blackwall Trading Estate · Blackwall Tunnel Depot · Blackwall Tunnel Northern Approach · Blackwall Way · Blair Street · Bothwell Close · Bow Creek · Bowen Street · Bowman Avenue · Bray Drive · Brent Road · Bright Street · Britannia Gate · Brunel Street · Burcham Street · Burke Street · Butchers Road · Byron Street · Bywell Place · Cabot Square · Canada Square Park · Canary Wharf · Canary Wharf · Capulet Mews · Carron Close · Carter Square · Cartier Circle · Caxton St North · Caxton Street North · Chadbourn Street · Chancellor Psg · Charford Road · Charles Whincup Road · Chilcot Close · Churchill Place · Clarkson Road · Clove Crescent · Clove Cresent · Colonnade · Constable Avenue · Coriander Avenue · Cotall Street · Cottage Street · Cotton Street · Crediton Road · Crossrail Place · Crossrail Walk · Culloden Street · Dalemain Mews · Darnaway Place · De Quincey Mews · Dee Street · Dingle Gardens · Discovery House · Dock Road · Dock Road · Dolphin Lane · Dominion Walk · Dormers Court Ind Estate · Duff Street · East India Dock Road Tunnel · East Quay · Edward Mills Way · Edwin Street · Elizabeth Close · Emily Street (1925) · Epstein Square · Equinox Square · Ettrick Street · ExCeL London · ExCeL Marina · ExCeL Waterfront · Exeter Road · Fairfax Mews · Fairmont Avenue · Fen Street · Fendt Close · Festoon Way · Fife Road · Finchs Court Mews · Finchs Court · Findhorn Street · Fishermans Place · Fitzwilliam Mews · Flora Close · Ford Street · Fords Park Road · Formunt Close · Fortrose Close · Forty Acre Lane · Fox Close · George Street · Giraud Street · Glass Blowers House · Goodway Gardens · Gorse Close · Hale Street · Hallsville Road · Hammersley Road · Hanover Avenue · Harbour Way · Hardy Avenue · Harrow Lane · Hastings Road · Hay Currie Street · Helen Mackay House · Heron Quays · Hind Grove · Hobday Street · Holyrood Mews · Howard House · Huntingdon Street · Ibbotson Avenue · Ivy Road · Jeremiah Street · Jonzen Walk · Joshua Street · Jubilee Park · Jude Street · K Warehouse · Keats Avenue · Kemps Drive · Kildare Walk · Killip Close · Landmark Square · Lanrick Road · Lansbury Gardens · Lawrence Street · Leven Road · Lochnagar Street · Lowe Avenue · Lower Lea Crossing · Lynx Way · Mace Gateway · Mackrow Walk · Malam Gardens · Market Square · Market Way · Mary Street · Mason Close · Maud Road · Maud Street · MaudStreet · McDowall Close · Ming Street · Mint Business Park · Monk Drive · Montgomery Square · Montgomery Street · Morant Street · More Close · Mountague Place · Munday Road · Murdock Close · Myers Walk · N Woolwich Road · Nairn Street · Naval Row · Navis House · Nelson Street Studios · Nelson Street · New Festival Avenue · Newby Place · Newham Way · Newham · North Dockside · North Quay Place · Oakes Mews · Oban Street · Office 39 · Office 40 · Oliphant Street · Ontario Tower · Orchard Place · Oregano Drive · Ozolins Way · Pacific Road · Paragon Close · Park Pavilion · Park Row · Pekin Close · Pelling Street · Pepys Crescent · Peto St North · Peto Street North · Pinefield Close · Pioneer Court Hammersley Road · Plimsoll Close · Plymouth Road · PO Box 62430 · PO Box 69966 · Pollard Close · Pomfret Place · Poplar · Poplar High Street · Poplar · Portree Street · Portsmouth Mews · Postal zone E16 1** · Prestage Way · Province Square · Quixley Street · Radland Road · Railway Arches · Ramsgate Close · Rathbone Market · Rathbone Street · Rayleigh Road · Reed Close · Reuters Plaza · Rigden Street · Robertson Road · Robin Hood Gardens · Rogers Road · Rosefield Gardens · Royal Docks · Royal Victoria Dock Bridge · Royal Victoria Dock · Royal Victoria Place · Royal Victoria Square · Ruscoe Road · Saltwell Street · Saracen Street · Scarab Close · Scott Russell Place · Scoulding Road · Seagull Lane · Shirbutt Street · Shirley Street · Siemens Brothers Way · Silvertown Square · Silvertown Way · Simpson’s Road · Sir Walter Raleigh’s house · Smythe Street · South Molton Road · South West India Dock Entrance · Southampton Mews · Southey Mews · Southill Street · St Andrews Way · St Lawrence Street · St Leonards Road · St Lukes Square · St Thomas Road · St. Ives Place · St. Leonards Road · St. Thomas Road · Stoneyard Lane · Stratford Waterfront · Street · Sturry Street · Susannah Street · Tant Avenue · Tarling Road · The Arcade · The Warehouse · Third Space 16-19 Canada Square · Thorne Close · Thorne Street · Tidal Basin Road Silvertown Way · Tom Jenkinson Road · Turner Street · Unit 1/2 Churchill Place · Upper Bank Street · Valencia Close · Vanguard Close · Vesey Path · Vincent Street · Wades Place · Webber Path · Wesley Avenue · West India Avenue · West Mersea Close · West Wintergarden · Westcott House · Western Gateway · Wharfside Road · Wharfside Road · William Murdoch Road · Willis Street · Woodall Close · Woodstock Terrace · Woolmore Street · Wooster Gardens · Wouldham Road · Wren Landing
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Blackwall · E14 ·

Until the late nineteenth century Poplar High Street was the district’s principal street.

This view in Poplar High Street dates from 1932 showing the junction with Hale Street. A milk cart is being wheeled by.
Its commercial importance declined rapidly from the 1860s, and in the late 1880s it was reported that ’Many shops have been empty for years’.

Nearly two-thirds of a mile in length, and on average only a little over 30ft in width, Poplar High Street contained 327 houses when it was renumbered in 1865. Most were narrow, with an average width of under 17ft. Extending along the southern edge of the river-terrace flood-plain gravel, it provided an indirect approach to Blackwall, and, perhaps as important, access to the ways which extended down from its south side into the rich pasture of the Isle of Dogs. The house-sites on this south side of the street sloped sharply downward and this was sometimes thought the less salubrious side. In 1863 the sewer behind the public house at No. 270 was still an open ditch of ’water carried away at every tide’. It was on this ill-drained south side, however, that a clear if discontinuous line of ’back lane’ developed, whereas there was nothing of the kind on the opposite side. The local medical men tended to live on the north side, which as early as 1623 produced a much higher yield from the rates than the south side.

In the nineteenth century the property of the manor of Poplar lay on the south side of the street, chiefly west of the workhouse. On the manor of Poplar in the years 1810–39 the lord’s property in the street (perhaps some 50 houses) brought him an income arising out of the ’fines’ or premiums on the renewal of holdings that was immensely variable but which averaged just under £100 per annum. (The most, in 1837, was £649.)

John Hale was a carpenter in the City, off Cannon Street. He seems to have acquired effective ownership from his relations and from him the property on both sides of the High Street descended by 1803 to his builder son, Thomas (in a trust with his mother). It was Thomas Hale, one of the first would-be developers, with Thomas Ashton of Blackwall, of the east end of East India Dock Road in 1807–8, who finally subjected the property to development in the first decade of the nineteenth century. This was chiefly in Hale Street and more humbly in Queen (later Bickmore) Street, and on their flank fronts to the High Street.

In the opening decade of the nineteenth century, when the great enclosed docks were made, there was a building boom of a kind in the High Street. The general London building boom of the mid–1820s is faintly reflected and in 1824 the parish authorities noted that several houses were about to be taken down. The up-to-date appearance of some of the replacements has been noticed. Among the houses built on the south side in the 1850s, though they were ’of no architectural merit’, some were professionally occupied, and this seems to signify a short time when the prospects for residential property in the street had some faint promise, with local poverty alleviated by the Crimean War boom in shipbuilding, a time when ’the whole Isle of Dogs rang with hammers from morning to night’. The Poplar Literary and Scientific Institution was here (behind Nos 186–188) in 1845–52, before moving to East India Dock Road. In Poplar generally far more new houses were built in 1845–55 than in 1871–91 and the High Street reflects this. There were 51 new houses built in the 11 years 1845–55, 18 in 1872–82, nine in 1883–93, nine again in 1894–1904, but none in 1905–15. Rather similarly, new shopfronts numbered 19 in 1845–55, three in 1872–82 and nine in 1883–93.

Since 1817 much of the street had lain within the metaphorical and some of it in the physical shadow of the big workhouse building on the south side. Nor were the attractions of the street enhanced by the trades pursued there, such as the 11 slaughterhouses in 1859, the cork-burner at No. 100 in 1899 and the haddock-dryer at No. 302 in 1881. At and behind No. 25 the nineteenth-century sawmill was succeeded by chain-makers and repairers whose ironworks continued there after the Second World War. The hold on ’amenity’ was very frail and by the end of the nineteenth century the street was thoroughly depressed, with ’several houses of ill-fame, frequented by common seamen’, on its south side. Will Crooks’s biographer spoke in 1907 of the ’now silent’ High Street, and the Inland Revenue’s valuation of 1909–15 shows the silence to have been one of decay and neglect.

Emslie’s views in the 1870s show how much the High Street was then a shopping street. But they probably show a street where retail prosperity was already in decline. Commentators attributed this to the departure of street-traders and costermongers to Chrisp Street, from the late 1860s onwards. The removal of the Poplar Railway Station to East India Dock Road in 1865–6 had probably made matters worse. By 1895 the City Press called it ’one of the worst paying thoroughfares in London’. From 1872 to 1900 few new shopfronts are noticed in the district surveyor’s returns. There was then some increase, to 1915. But the Inland Revenue’s valuer was driven to constant comment in his assessments of 1909–15 that this was ’a bad business street’. (ref. 83)

As for the shops themselves, by the 1930s they shared one predominant characteristic with the rest of London’s humbler shops: the division of the ground floor between the shop itself at the front and a separate ’shop parlour’ behind, whence the proprietor would emerge at the tinkle of the shop bell. Access to the shop parlour and the rooms above was usually via the shop not via a separate street-door. Some shops of this kind were of very simple design.

Source: British History Online

Citations and sources

The free encyclopedia

Links and further reading

Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



Print-friendly version of this page


Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.