Bychurch End, Teddington, Middlesex
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
|MAP YEAR:||1750||1800||1810||1820||1830||1860||1900||1950||2022||Show map without markers|
|ZOOM:||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17 18||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17 18|
|TIP: To create your own sharable map, right click on the map|
|Click here to explore another London street|
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS
|CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY|
|LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT|
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT
Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."
From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.
Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT
The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT
Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.
He was awarded a £10 bonus.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT
The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT
TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.
Added: 9 Aug 2022 19:01 GMT
Ely place existed in name in 1857
On 7th July 1857 John James Chase and Mary Ann Weekes were married at St John the Baptist Hoxton, he of full age and she a minor. Both parties list their place of residence as Ely Place, yet according to other information, this street was not named until 1861. He was a bricklayer, she had no occupation listed, but both were literate and able to sign their names on their marriage certificate.
Chesbut Trees in Bushy Park (c.1910) At over 1000 acres, Bushy Park is the second-largest of London’s eight Royal Parks. Lying just north of Hampton Court Palace in Richmond upon Thames, Bushy is famed for its mix of waterways, gardens, and roaming herds of red and fallow deer.
Old London postcard
TUM image id: 1635872274
Eel Pie Island, River Thames (c.1910) It was once a bubbling cauldron of British rock ’n’ roll. There was a five-month period in 1963 where you could see the Rolling Stones play there every Wednesday. The Who, Pink Floyd and Screaming Lord Sutch all did gigs at the Eel Pie Island Hotel, a rickety nineteenth-century ballroom that was lost to a fire in 1971.
Old London postcard
TUM image id: 1635873407