Harrow Road bridge

Bridge in/near Paddington, existing until 1969.

(51.51925 -0.18608, 51.519 -0.186) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502024Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: To create your own sharable map, right click on the map
Bridge · * · W2 ·
Harrow Road once spanned the River Westbourne at this point.

The hills of Hampstead Heath provide the source of three lost rivers of London - the Westbourne, Tyburn and Fleet. These rivers were long buried underground and the modern streetscape contains few hints at these former watercourses.

Old maps show the routes that these rivers took. The Westbourne rises in two main places in Hampstead and then flowed south through Kilburn, over to Paddington and Bayswater before feeding the Serpentine in Hyde Park. Southwards it flowed through Knighsbridge and Sloane Square, joining the River Thames at Chelsea.

Before it reaches Kilburn, the River Westbourne forms two tributaries - the Cannon Stream and the Kilbourne.

Cannon Stream

Hampstead Heath in 1840.

Hampstead Heath in 1840.
(click image to enlarge)

Cannon Stream became the name for the west branch of the minor brooks which, once merged together at Kilburn, become the Westbourne.

The northernmost source of the Westbourne is WHITESTONE POND

, which lies next to the highest point in the whole of north London (the highest point being these days occupied by a mobile phone tower). The pond was named after the white milestone marking the entrance to Hampstead, and its waters were once used to give military horses somewhere to drink.

From the pond the stream is imperceptible apart from during times of heavy rainfall but it runs to the southwest from Whitestone Pond. It takes a line parallel to, but to the north of Judges Walk.


Hampstead Heath, with the House Called ‘The Salt Box’ - John Constable c.1819–20
(click image to enlarge)


has now disappeared, but the Westbourne once flowed through it. The location of the pond can still be seen as a distinct hollow in the heath which is still grassland at this point. John Constable (1776-1837) painted an important oil of Branch Hill Pond.

The rivulet continues to flow southwest, under modern Spedan Close

- when built in the 1970s, the most expensive council housing in the country and then follows the line of modern Reddington Gardens

. Here it combines with two tributaries; one from Oak Hill and another from Telegraph Hill. It follows the line of Heath Drive

before crossing under the Finchley Road where a very small dip in the road can still be ascertained.

Across the Finchley Road, Cannon Stream follows Cannon Hill

downhill. The Cannon names are a 19th century derivation. Charles Cannon was a dye merchant who lived at Kidderpore Hall, West Hampstead converted an old footpath into Cannon Hill - it was this hill which lent its name to the stream. until it reached the rear of an old inn called the COCK AND HOOP

and fed a small pond on West End Green



, Cannon Stream now flowed south through the fields which separated the boundary between what by the early nineteenth century were the Thorplands and Gilbert's Estate. It passed to the west of elevated ground in West Hampstead, under the modern Solent Road

, crossing present-day Sumatra Road

, crossing the two railways and then following the course of the length of Kingsgate Road

until reaching Kilburn, where Cannon Stream joins two other rivulets to form the main river Westbourne.

Other roads that the Cannon Stream crossed on this route are Holmdale Road

, Narcissus Road

(which English Indie rock band The Hours, named an album after), Liddle Road

, Quex Road

, Iverson Road

, Maygrove Road

and Birchington Road



The second main feeder stream for the Westbourne was the Kilbourne, rising in a pond

in the grounds of a former grand house called Frognal Hall in Hampstead. Both the old mansion and the pond have now disappeared but the pond lies underneath what is now 62 Frognal.

The stream was was originally called the Kilbourne - cye-burna  (royal stream)  or cyna-burna (cow’s stream)  - sometimes spelled Kelebourne and gave its name to modern Kilburn.  Cuneburna as a name was first recorded in 1134.

Flowing south from the pond

through a field

, it continued beside Frognal

before crossing the line of the modern Hampstead Tunnel


At a point which at time of writing was the Langorf Hotel at 18 Frognal, it was joined by a tiny tributary

flowing from the east only a few hundred metres in length. The combined stream continues to follow Frognal and crosses under the Finchley Road

where Frognal meets the main road.

It flows under the modern O2 Centre

and behind Finchley Road tube station

before following a course west of the modern line of Goldhurst Terrace

. At the time of the 1830 map of the area, there was a pond

to the west - near to the junction of Fairhazel Gardens

and Greencroft Gardens

. On the way to this point, the Kilbourne crosses Broadhurst Gardens

and Canfield Gardens

. It also runs underneath the hidden glory that is Compayne Open Space


Under the railway to the west of South Hampstead station and after crossing underneath Belsize Road

, the stream roughly follows modern Ainsworth Way

, following under the modern parkland estate to that road's north. Under ABBEY ROAD

it flowed and then Mortimer Crescent

and Mortimer Place

, two roads with literary connections.

Kilburn Priory in 1750

Kilburn Priory in 1750
(click image to enlarge)

The Kilbourne and Cannon Stream join together at Kilburn Priory

, which dated from 1134 - the days of Henry I. The priory was situated where the Westbourne crossed at the present site of the junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road. It had been constructed on the location of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn and was home to the community of Augustinian canonesses.

The priory, was dedicated to the “Blessed Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist”, became a renowned resting place for pilgrims stopping by on their way to St Albans. The river supplied the Priory’s moat and provided the inhabitants with water and fish until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536 when the building was destroyed.

Priory lands incorporated a mansion and a guesthouse or hostium which may have constituted the basis of the Red Lion pub (believed to have been founded in 1444) and the BELL INN

 which found itself in due course next to a fashionable spring, opened in about 1600.

The water from this spring was then discovered to contain properties similar to Epsom Salts and gave rise to spas and pleasure gardens including the KILBURN WELLS


The two streams having combined, the story of the Westbourne proper continues underneath...

The Bell Inn, Kilburn (1750)

The Westbourne

Once under the Edgware Road at the former Kilburn Bridge

, the river has becomes the Westbourne. Until the river took this name in a back-formation from Westbourne Green (a place name which meant that it lay on the wet bank of a stream), it was called the Bayswater Rivulet. Whether Bayswater or Westbourne, it takes a somewhat circuitous route south...

Kilburn Bridge

, which was recorded in 1398 and thought to have been built in the mid 13th century by the prior of Kilburn, carried Edgware Road across the Kilburn brook (the Westbourne River). In 1826 the original stone bridge with a Gothic arch survived, flanked by brick portions added at two different periods. By that date repair was shared between the trustees of Marylebone turnpike and of the Kilburn Road. In more modern times, as the river has been culverted and sent underground, there is no trace of the structure.

Carlton Vale

 links the Edgware Road to Kilburn Lane. In 1850 the Reverend Edward Stuart sold 47 acres to a consortium of five developers, of whom the largest was James Bailey. They laid out roads and sewers and divided the site among themselves, subletting to smaller firms who built a few houses each. Carlton Vale was originally called Carlton Road and was laid out over the former fields of KILBURN BRIDGE FARM

. Several of the contractors aimed high with their early efforts but the isolated, muddy location - the vale being the flood plain of the Westbourne - failed to attract buyers and the estate remained incomplete for several decades. A new type of building, in red or multi-coloured brick, was used from the 1860s. It was soon to spread over the remaining unbuilt-upon land. Carlton Vale was extensively rebuilt after World War Two bombing.

Kilburn Park Road

was built along the course of the Bayswater Rivulet. Park Road, begun by 1855, was projected to run along the Willesden boundary - which ran along the stream - to meet the future Chippenham Road by 1861 and renamed Kilburn Park Road in 1862. Often straightened and culverted, as the Ranelagh sewer, before being built over, the Westbourne's course was still open (with its course straightened) in 1871 along the later line of both Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road.

Shirland Road

Now entering the W9 postcode, Shirland Road follows the course of the Westbourne as it turns sharply to the south east. There were houses on the west side of Shirland Road, at the south end, by 1870. The river then followed Bristol Gardens

, W9 (13115). As late as 1857, Bristol Gardens still commanded uninterrupted country views to the north and west.

Opening day of the Kilburn Aqueduct
(click image to enlarge)

One of the later curiosities of the Westbourne, is the Kilburn Aqueduct

. When the Grand Union Canal was built at the turn of the nineteenth century, the valley of the River Westbourne ran through what were known as the Kilburn Fields. To span the valley, the new canal was placed on a 30 foot high embankment to cross the river. Development of the area after the canal was built was causing the Westbourne to become an open sewer. Around the early 1820s locals complained the awful smell emanating from the Westbourne. It was culverted for a considerable distance either side of the aqueduct by 1823. By the 1830s when the area was under development, especially with regards to the railway, the Westbourne had its course diverted and straightened out onto a parallel close to the southern end of Westbourne Terrace, and culverted beneath that road.

Now entering Paddington, the river crossed the modern Bourne Terrace

, and Westbourne Green


Harrow Road crossed the Westbourne at a place then called Red Lion Bridge

. The Red Lion pub, a country pub beside the bridge, was moved 100 yards to the east when the first major change to the area came - the building of the Great Western Railway.

The Westbourne flowed south now to Bishop's Bridge Road

. Westbourne Green was an early settlement and obliterated by mid 19th-century building, much of which consisted of streets with the prefix Westbourne and was sometimes known as Westbournia. From the southern end of the hamlet, a footpath later called Bishop’s Walk (eventually Bishop’s Bridge Road) provided a short cut to Paddington Green. The cutting of the GWR line across the middle of Westbourne Green was begun in 1836, necessitating a slight northward realignment of Harrow Road. Since the railway obstructed the Paddington Green end of Bishop’s Walk, the footpath was replaced by Bishop’s Road, soon extended westward as Westbourne Grove. Most of the area between Bishop’s Road and the railway had been filled by 1855. The renamed (after the Second War) Bishop’s Bridge Road became lined by many types of building.

Westbourne Terrace at the turn of the 20th century
(click image to enlarge)

After crossing Cleveland Gardens

, the Westbourne reaches Cleveland Square

. During the Second World War the area around Paddington station sustained substantial damage due to the bombing of the city. Cleveland Square sustained two direct hits destroying houses numbers 8 to 11. Several other buildings in neighbouring streets were also destroyed. There was an anti-aircraft Barrage Balloon stationed in the gardens of Cleveland Square and until recently one of the flower beds still had the huge concrete block with steel attachments buried among the plants. This bed has been named the ‘Balloon Bed’ in tribute and there is a commemorative plaque positioned there. Cleveland Square, which once rivalled Lancaster Gate as the most expensive address in Bayswater, has an unusually large private garden to serve the massive range of six storeys and basements on its north side.

As the former river flows towards Hyde Park, two street names reflect their heritage: Upbrook Mews

and Brook Mews North

. (There was also originally a Brook Mews South)

Bayard’s Bridge

took the Uxbridge Road (now Bayswater Road) over the River Westbourne. The name Bayswater - the Westbourne River's original name - is said to have derived from ’Bayard’s Watering Place’, first recorded here in 1380, a ‘bayard’ being a horse which would have taken water from the river. Another explanation is that the land now called Bayswater belonged to the Abbey of Westminster when the Domesday Book was compiled; the most considerable tenant under the abbot was Bainiardus, may therefore be concluded that this ground known for its springs of excellent water, once supplied water to Baynard, his household, or his cattle; that the memory of his name was preserved in the neighbourhood for six centuries; and that his watering-place now takes the abbreviated name Bayswater.

As it crossed royal Hyde Park, the Westbourne originally formed eleven natural ponds. In 1730, Queen Caroline, wife of George II, asked for huge ornamental lake to be created. This became The Serpentine

at the eastern end and the Long Water

at the western. Originally the lake was fed by the River Westbourne entering at the Italian Garden at the north-western end of the Long Water. Queen Caroline, ordered the damming of the River Westbourne in Hyde Park as part of a general redevelopment of Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. During the 1730s, the lake filled to its current size and shape. The redevelopment was carried out by Royal Gardener Charles Bridgeman, who dammed the Westbourne to create the artificial lake, and dug a large pond in the centre of Kensington Gardens (The Round Pond) to be a focal point for pathways in the park. At the time of construction, artificial lakes were typically long and straight. The Serpentine was one of the earliest artificial lakes designed to appear natural, and was widely imitated in parks and gardens nationwide. The Westbourne ceased to provide the water for the Serpentine in 1834, as the river had become polluted, and so water was then pumped from the Thames.

One of the hints of the former river lie in placenames - we have already seen Kilburn, Westbourne Green and Bayswater. The next one is Knightsbridge


It is recorded that the citizens of London met Matilda of England at the Knight's Bridge in 1141. Knightsbridge is now home to many expensive shops, including the department stores Harrods and Harvey Nichols, and flagship stores of many British and international fashion houses, including those of London-based shoe designers Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik, and two Prada stores. Some of London's most renowned restaurants are here, as well as many exclusive hair and beauty salons, antiques and antiquities dealers, and chic bars and clubs. But it has also been the scene of many riots. In 1556, at the time of Wyatt’s insurrection, the rebel and his followers arrived at the Knight's Bridge hamlet at nightfall, and stayed there all night before advancing on London.

The course of the Westbourne having crossed William Mews, SW1

reaches Lowndes Square

and Lowndes Street

in Belgravia. Lowndes Square, a residential garden square, is home to some of the most expensive properties in the world. Roman Abramovich bought two stucco houses in Lowndes Square in 2008 worth £150 million, exceeding the value of the previous most expensive house in London and the UK, at £80 million. In 1824, Richard Grosvenor, 2nd Marquess of Westminster had commissioned the development of many buildings centred around Belgrave Square and Pimlico. The man he commissioned to develop this area was Thomas Cubitt, a builder from Norfolk and a partner, Seth Smith. Lowndes Street was developed from 1836 as part of the Cadogan Estate, also by Thomas Cubitt and Seth Smith. It was once part of the estate of William Lowndes of Chesham, after whom it is named.

Pont Street

(Bridge Street) is a fashionable street in Knightsbridge/Belgravia. Pont Street is referred to in Evelyn Waugh’s novel Brideshead Revisited (1945), as a place related to typical English snobbery.

The bridge over the Westbourne at Sloane Square was called Blandel Bridge

and was later renamed Grosvenor Bridge. It was about twelve or fourteen feet wide, and had walls on either side high enough to protect passengers from falling into the river. It was nicknamed “Bloody Bridge” going back as 1590 so named allegedly following the murder of Lord Harrington’s cook who was attacked and beaten to death by highwaymen. Bloody Bridge once comprised of a footbridge with a plank before a more substantial bridge, 16 feet wide and lined by high walls, was built in the reign of Charles ll.

Sloane Square

originally looked much the same as it does today, except that the square was an open green space enclosed by wooden posts, connected by iron chains. It was here that Queen Charlotte’s Royal Volunteers often assembled, and marched off in military order to Hyde Park, headed by their band. In the early 1980s, it lent its name to the Sloane Rangers, the young underemployed and ostentatiously well-off members of the upper classes. Lady Diana Spencer, before she become Princess of Wales was considered the epitome of a Sloane Ranger. Sloane Square station

was opened on 24 December 1868 by the Metropolitan District Railway when the company opened the first section of its line. The construction of the station was complicated by the crossing of the site by the River Westbourne. The river was carried above the platform in a large iron pipe suspended from girders. It remains in place today Meanwhile, Sloane Square itself lies at the east end of the trendy King's Road and at the south end of Sloane Street.

Lord Cadogan and the Chelsea vestry agreed in 1886 to reorganize the roads south of Sloane Square: Lower Sloane Street was widened, while Little George Street, Chelsea Market, Evans Cottages, Viner Place, George Place, and Woods Buildings, all east of Lower Sloane Street, were closed; Lower George Street was also closed and its upper end was replaced by the wider Sloane Gardens, linking into Lower Sloane Street. The straight Holbein Place

replaced The Ditch, which had curved along the line of the Westbourne, and was linked to Lower Sloane Street by Holbein Mews.

The road from Westminster to Chelsea village was carried over the boundary by a stone bridge, documented from 1587 and it is probably the stone bridge which the vestry paid to mend in 1682. By the early 19th century a single-arch brick bridge in Grosvenor Row (later Pimlico Road

) had replaced the stone one. There was an inn in Grosvenor Row called the "The Three Compasses," well known as a starting-point for the Pimlico omnibuses. It was generally known as the "Goat and Compasses"—possibly a corruption of the text, "God encompasseth us". The Chelsea Bun House in Grosvenor Row was the home of the Chelsea Bun but also had a museum of curiosities. The Bun House was run by several members of a family named Hand.

Ranelagh Gardens
(click image to enlarge)

By now, we are entering Chelsea and meandering past Ranelagh Grove

, the river reaches Ebury Bridge Road

. Ebury Bridge itself spanned the Grosvenor Canal, not the Westbourne. For a while in the mid 19th century Ebury Bridge Road was called Commercial Road and it skirted the Chelsea Barracks - now a redevelopment site, The road, when laid out, originally lay next to the Westbourne as it turned a corner on its way to the River Thames.

Chelsea Bridge Road

was built in the 1850s to connect Chelsea with its bridge. Next to it, the Ranelagh pleasure gardens opened in 1742 to become one of the most fashionable pleasure resorts of the 18th century, with access by river as well as by road. In the 1760s Sir Thomas Robinson, one of the proprietors of the pleasure gardens, built a mansion east of the rotunda to his own designs called Prospect Place, where he lived until his death in 1777; by the 1790s the house had been divided. In 1803 the pleasure gardens closed and Ranelagh House, its Rotunda and other features were cleared. This part of the estate then became gardens in the ownership of the Hospital. In 1857-8 Chelsea Bridge Road was laid in a straight line from a widened White Lion Street to the new Chelsea Bridge, sweeping away the later Ranelagh House.

After passing through the modern Royal Hospital Grounds, a vestige of the river, a wide quay, opens into the River Thames

some 270 metres west of Chelsea Bridge. An overflow outfall, from a pipe named the Ranelagh Sewer, can still be seen at low tide, as most of the Westbourne’s course has been used as a convenient depression in the land to place the local sewerage system, some of which takes surface water to form a combined sewer which links to two intercept sewers, the Middle Level Sewer and the Northern Low Level Sewer in the London sewerage system.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Lady Townshend   
Added: 8 Sep 2023 16:02 GMT   

Tenant at Westbourne (1807 - 1811)
I think that the 3rd Marquess Townshend - at that time Lord Chartley - was a tenant living either at Westbourne Manor or at Bridge House. He undertook considerable building work there as well as creating gardens. I am trying to trace which house it was. Any ideas gratefully received

Lived here
Added: 22 Aug 2023 12:31 GMT   

Hampden Street, W2
My great great grandparents William and Hannah Playford lived at 60 Hampden Street from the mid 1880s when they moved from rural poverty in Norfolk to inner city hardship in Paddington and where all their children were born. My great grandfather was a road sweeper and sold cat meat. They had seven children in all, of whom five survived infancy: three boys who all volunteered for the army at the outbreak of WW1 and miraculously returned via Salonika, France and a German POW camp; and two daughters, the eldest of whom was my great grandmother, Annie Playford b 1888. She had an illegitimate daughter in 1910, my grandmother Hilda Sarah Catherine. She brought her up singlehandedly and assumed a false married name to conceal her (then socially unacceptable) status as a single mother. In fact she never married and would never tell my grandmother anything about her father. Because of her longevity (she died in 1986) I remember Annie very well. As a child I perceived her as grumpy, uncommunicative, unsocial and a voracious eater. Of course as an adult I realised this was borne from pride loneliness, ill health, a grim determination to survive, and hunger. Somehow she did survive on her own as a single parent, despite lack of family support and serious deprivation. She worked three back breaking menial cleaning jobs over many years to make ends meet. With the advent of DNA I now know the identity of my grandmother’s father which she always dearly wished to know herself. She used to ask her mother if she loved her. The answer: "I kept you, didn’t I?" In the context of the times, I think that says it all. I only wish nanny was still here so that I could tell her all about her father.



Vic Stanley   
Added: 24 Feb 2024 17:38 GMT   

The postcode is SE15, NOT SE1

Added: 17 Feb 2024 00:08 GMT   

No 36 Upper East Smithfield
My great great grandfather was born at No 36 Upper East Smithfield and spent his early years staring out at a "dead wall" of St Katharine’s Docks. His father was an outfitter and sold clothing for sailors. He describes the place as being backed by tenements in terrible condition and most of the people living there were Irish.


Kevin Pont   
Added: 16 Feb 2024 20:32 GMT   

Name origin
Interestingly South Lambeth derives its name from the same source as Lambeth itself - a landing place for lambs.

But South Lambeth has no landing place - it is not on the River Thames


C Hobbs   
Added: 31 Jan 2024 23:53 GMT   

George Gut (1853 - 1861)
George Gut, Master Baker lived with his family in Long Lane.
George was born in Bernbach, Hesse, Germany and came to the UK sometime in the 1840s. In 1849, George married an Englishwoman called Matilda Baker and became a nauralized Englishman. He was given the Freedom of the City of London (by Redemption in the Company of Bakers), in 1853 and was at that time, recorded as living at 3 Long Lane. In the 1861 census, George Gut was living at 11 Long Lane.

Emma Beach   
Added: 18 Jan 2024 04:33 GMT   

William Sutton Thwaites
William Sutton Thwaites was the father of Frances Lydia Alice Knorr nee Thwaites�’�’she was executed in 1894 in Melbourne, Victoria Australia for infanticide. In the year prior to his marriage, to her mother Frances Jeanette Thwaites nee Robin, William Sutton was working as a tailor for Mr Orchard who employed four tailors in the hamlet of Mile End Old Town on at Crombies Row, Commercial Road East.

Source: 1861 England Census Class: Rg 9; Piece: 293; Folio: 20; Page: 2; GSU roll: 542608

Added: 15 Jan 2024 15:44 GMT   

Simon De Charmes, clockmaker
De Charmes (or Des Charmes), Simon, of French Huguenot extraction. Recorded 1688 and Free of the Clockmakers’ Company 1691-1730. In London until 1704 at least at ’his House, the Sign of the Clock, the Corner of Warwick St, Charing Cross’. See Brian Loomes The Early Clockmakers of Great Britain, NAG Press, 1981, p.188

Born here
Jacqueline Mico   
Added: 14 Jan 2024 07:29 GMT   

Robert Bolam
This is where my grandad was born, he went on to be a beautiful man, he became a shop owner, a father, and grandfather, he lost a leg when he was a milkman and the horse kicked him, then opened a shop in New Cross and then moved to Lewisham where he had a Newsagents and tobacconists.

Tom Hughes   
Added: 5 Jan 2024 14:11 GMT   

4 Edwardes Terrace
In 1871, Mrs. Blake, widow of Gen. Blake, died in her home at 4 Edwardes Terrace, leaving a fortune of 140,000 pounds, something like 20 million quid today. She left no will. The exact fortune may have been exaggerated but for years claimants sought their share of the "Blake millions" which eventually went to "the Crown."


The Paddington Green Children’s Hospital opened in August 1883.
Bishop’s Bridge Bishop’s Bridge, sometimes known as Paddington Bridge, is a road bridge which carries Bishop’s Bridge Road across the rail approaches to Paddington station
Bishop’s Bridge
Fountains Abbey The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals.
Fountains Abbey
Paddington The first underground railway station in the world ran from Paddington on 10 January 1863 as the terminus of the Metropolitan Railway’s route from Farringdon.
St Mary’s Hospital, London St Mary’s Hospital is a hospital in Paddington, founded in 1845.
St Mary’s Hospital, London

102474, W2 Norfolk Square is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
102474, W2
Africa House, W2 Africa House is a block on Blomfield Villas (Paddington)
Africa House, W2
Albion Close, W2 Albion Close dates from around 1830 (Paddington)
Albion Close, W2
Albion Mews, W2 Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street (Paddington)
Albion Mews, W2
Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s (Paddington)
Albion Street, W2
Alleyn Court, W2 Alleyn Court is a block on Alleyn Court (Paddington)
Alleyn Court, W2
Archery Close, W2 Archery Close is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Archery Close, W2
Balmoral Apartments, W2 Balmoral Apartments is a building on Praed Street (Edgware Road)
Balmoral Apartments, W2
Bathurst Mews, W2 Bathurst Mews is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Bathurst Mews, W2
Belvedere Strand, W2 Belvedere Strand is a road in the NW9 postcode area (Paddington)
Belvedere Strand, W2
Bishop’s Bridge Road, W2 Bishop’s Bridge Road, now a main thoroughfare, began life as a footpath (Paddington)
Bishop’s Bridge Road, W2
Blomfield Mews, W2 Blomfield Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area (Little Venice)
Blomfield Mews, W2
Bouverie Place, W2 Bouverie Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Bouverie Place, W2
Brecon House, W2 Brecon House is a block on Cleveland Terrace (Paddington)
Brecon House, W2
Brewers Court, W2 Brewers’ Court was finished in 1976 (Paddington)
Brewers Court, W2
Bridgewater House, W2 Bridgewater House is a building on Cleveland Terrace (Paddington)
Bridgewater House, W2
Brook Mews North, W2 Brook Mews North is a through road between Craven Terrace and Craven Hill.
Brook Mews North, W2
Brunel House, W2 Brunel House is a block on Westbourne Terrace (Paddington)
Brunel House, W2
Burwood Place, W2 Burwood Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Burwood Place, W2
Caernarvon House, W2 The 1955-built Caernarvon House is on the Hallfield Estate (Paddington)
Caernarvon House, W2
Cambridge Square, W2 Cambridge Square is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Cambridge Square, W2
Canalside Walk, W2 Canalside Walk is a location in London (Paddington)
Canalside Walk, W2
Capital House, W2 Capital House is located on Craven Road (Paddington)
Capital House, W2
Chelwood House, W2 Chelwood House is a block on Gloucester Square (Paddington)
Chelwood House, W2
Chilworth Court, W2 Chilworth Court is a block on Gloucester Terrace (Paddington)
Chilworth Court, W2
Chilworth Mews, W2 Chilworth Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Chilworth Mews, W2
Chilworth Street, W2 Chilworth Street, originally called Charles Street, is an east-west street in W2 (Paddington)
Chilworth Street, W2
Clarendon Place, W2 Clarendon Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Clarendon Place, W2
Cleveland Court, W2 Cleveland Court is a block on Leinster Gardens (Paddington)
Cleveland Court, W2
Cleveland Gardens, W2 Cleveland Gardens is a short stretch of road behind Cleveland Square (Paddington)
Cleveland Gardens, W2
Cleveland Square, W2 Cleveland Square is a notable square in Paddington (Paddington)
Cleveland Square, W2
Cleveland Terrace, W2 Cleveland Terrace is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Cleveland Terrace, W2
Clifton Place, W2 Clifton Place is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Clifton Place, W2
Cloucester Mews West, W2 Cloucester Mews West is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Cloucester Mews West, W2
Conduit Mews, W2 Conduit Mews is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Conduit Mews, W2
Conduit Passage, W2 Conduit Passage is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Conduit Passage, W2
Conduit Place, W2 Conduit Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Conduit Place, W2
Connaught Close, W2 Connaught Close is a cul-de-sac off Connaught Street (Paddington)
Connaught Close, W2
Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. (Paddington)
Connaught Square, W2
Connaught Street, W2 Connaught Street is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Connaught Street, W2
Corlett Street, NW1 Corlett Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area (Edgware Road)
Corlett Street, NW1
Craven Court, W2 Craven Court is a block on Craven Road
Craven Court, W2
Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built (Paddington)
Craven Road, W2
Devonshire Court, W2 Devonshire Court is a building on Gloucester Terrace (Paddington)
Devonshire Court, W2
Devonshire Terrace, W2 Devonshire Terrace is a street in Paddington
Devonshire Terrace, W2
Diamond House, W2 Diamond House is a block on Praed Street (Paddington)
Diamond House, W2
Dudley Street, W2 Dudley Street is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Dudley Street, W2
Eastbourne Mews, W2 Eastbourne Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Eastbourne Mews, W2
Eastbourne Terrace, W2 Eastbourne Terrace is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Eastbourne Terrace, W2
Edna House, W2 Edna House is a building on Norfolk Square (Paddington)
Edna House, W2
Enterprise House, W2 Enterprise House is located on Westbourne Terrace (Paddington)
Enterprise House, W2
Frederick Close, W2 Frederick Close is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Frederick Close, W2
Gloucester Gardens, W2 Gloucester Gardens is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Gloucester Gardens, W2
Gloucester Mews, W2 Gloucester Mews is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Gloucester Mews, W2
Gloucester Square, W2 Gloucester Square is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Gloucester Square, W2
Gloucester Terrace, W2 Gloucester Terrace is an 1850s development (Paddington)
Gloucester Terrace, W2
Harbet Road, W2 Harbet Road is a street in Paddington (Edgware Road)
Harbet Road, W2
Harrow Road, W2 Harrow Road is one of the main arterial roads of London, leading northwest out of the capital (Little Venice)
Harrow Road, W2
Hermitage Street, W2 Hermitage Street is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Hermitage Street, W2
Holy Trinity House, W2 Holy Trinity House is a building on Orsett Terrace (Paddington)
Holy Trinity House, W2
Howards Way, W2 Howards Way is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Howards Way, W2
Hurlingham House, W2 Hurlingham House is sited on Westbourne Terrace Road (Paddington)
Hurlingham House, W2
Hyde Park Crescent, W2 Hyde Park Crescent is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Hyde Park Crescent, W2
Hyde Park Gardens Mews, W2 Hyde Park Gardens Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Hyde Park Gardens Mews, W2
Hyde Park Gardens, W2 Hyde Park Gardens - also known as Hyde Park Terrace - consists of two roads running adjacent to the north western corner of Hyde Park (Paddington)
Hyde Park Gardens, W2
Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate (Paddington)
Hyde Park Square, W2
Hyde Park Street, W2 Hyde Park Street is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Hyde Park Street, W2
Joe Strummer Subway, W2 Joe Strummer Subway is a road in the W2 postcode area (Edgware Road)
Joe Strummer Subway, W2
John Aird Court, W2 John Aird Court can be found on John Aird Court (Little Venice)
John Aird Court, W2
Junction Mews, W2 Junction Mews is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Junction Mews, W2
Junction Place, W2 Junction Place is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Junction Place, W2
Kendal Street, W2 Kendal Street is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Kendal Street, W2
Kingdom Street, W2 Kingdom Street is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Kingdom Street, W2
Leinster Gardens, W2 Leinster Gardens began its life in the early 1840s
Leinster Gardens, W2
London Mews, W2 London Mews is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
London Mews, W2
London Street, W2 London Street is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
London Street, W2
Macmillan House, W2 Residential block (Paddington)
Macmillan House, W2
Mara House, W2 Mara House is located on Sussex Gardens (Paddington)
Mara House, W2
Marshall Building, W2 Marshall Building can be found on Hermitage Street (Paddington)
Marshall Building, W2
Marylebone Flyover, W2 Marylebone Flyover is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Marylebone Flyover, W2
Merchant Square, W2 Merchant Square is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Merchant Square, W2
Mimet House, W2 Mimet House is a block on Praed Street (Edgware Road)
Mimet House, W2
Montgomery House, W2 Montgomery House is a block on Harrow Road (Paddington)
Montgomery House, W2
Munkenbeck Building, W2 Munkenbeck Building is a block on Hermitage Street (Paddington)
Munkenbeck Building, W2
Newcastle Mews, W2 Newcastle Mews lay off the Edgware Road (Edgware Road)
Newcastle Mews, W2
Newcastle Place, W2 Newcastle Place is a location in London (Edgware Road)
Newcastle Place, W2
Norfolk Crescent, W2 Norfolk Crescent is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Norfolk Crescent, W2
Norfolk Place, W2 Norfolk Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Norfolk Place, W2
North Wharf Road, W2 North Wharf Road is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
North Wharf Road, W2
Orsett Mews, W2 Orsett Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Orsett Mews, W2
Orsett Terrace, W2 Orsett Terrace combined with Orsett Place to form one street in Paddington (Paddington)
Orsett Terrace, W2
Oxford Square, W2 Oxford Square is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Oxford Square, W2
Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area (Little Venice)
Paddington Green, W2
Park West, W2 Park West is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Park West, W2
Pembroke House, W2 Pembroke House can be found on Hallfield Estate (Paddington)
Pembroke House, W2
Peninsula Apartments, W2 Peninsula Apartments is a block on Praed Street (Paddington)
Peninsula Apartments, W2
Pickering House, W2 Pickering House is a block on Hallfield Estate (Paddington)
Pickering House, W2
Porchester Place, W2 Porchester Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Porchester Place, W2
Porchester Terrace North, W2 Porchester Terrace North is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Porchester Terrace North, W2
Porteus Road, W2 Porteus Road is a road in the W2 postcode area (Little Venice)
Porteus Road, W2
Praed Mews, W2 Praed Mews is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Praed Mews, W2
Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north (Paddington)
Praed Street, W2
Quadrangle, W2 Quadrangle is a block on Sussex Gardens (Paddington)
Quadrangle, W2
Queen’s Gardens, W2 This is a street in the W2 postcode area
Queen’s Gardens, W2
Queens Gardens, W2 Queens Gardens is a street in Paddington
Queens Gardens, W2
Radnor Lodge, W2 Radnor Lodge is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Radnor Lodge, W2
Radnor Mews, W2 Radnor Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Radnor Mews, W2
Radnor Place, W2 Radnor Place is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Radnor Place, W2
Rainsford Street, W2 Rainsford Street is the successor to the longer Cambridge Mews and incorporated York Row in 1931 (Paddington)
Rainsford Street, W2
Ranelagh Bridge, W2 Ranelagh Bridge is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Ranelagh Bridge, W2
Reading House, W2 Reading House is a building on Hallfield Estate (Bayswater)
Reading House, W2
Robert Crosbie House, W2 Robert Crosbie House is sited on Queen’s Gardens
Robert Crosbie House, W2
Rosewood Walk, W2 Rosewood Walk is a location in London (Paddington)
Rosewood Walk, W2
Sale Place, W2 Sale Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Sale Place, W2
Sheldon Square, W2 Sheldon Square is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Sheldon Square, W2
Sitia House, W2 Sitia House is a block on Devonshire Terrace
Sitia House, W2
Smallbrook Mews, W2 Smallbrook Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area
Smallbrook Mews, W2
South Wharf Road, W2 South Wharf Road is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
South Wharf Road, W2
Southwick Mews, W2 Southwick Mews leads off Southwick Street (Paddington)
Southwick Mews, W2
Southwick Place, W2 Southwick Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Southwick Place, W2
Southwick Street, W2 Southwick Street is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Southwick Street, W2
Spring Street, W2 Spring Street is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Spring Street, W2
St James’s Court, W2 St James’s Court is a block on Gloucester Terrace
St James’s Court, W2
St Mary’s Square, W2 Saint Mary’s Square is a square in the W2 postcode area (Little Venice)
St Mary’s Square, W2
St Mellons House, W2 St Mellons House is a building on Sussex Place (Paddington)
St Mellons House, W2
St Michael’s Street, W2 Saint Michael’s Street is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
St Michael’s Street, W2
Star Street, W2 Star Street is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Star Street, W2
Strathearn Place, W2 Strathearn Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Strathearn Place, W2
Sussex Court, W2 Sussex Court is a building on Spring Street (Paddington)
Sussex Court, W2
Sussex Gardens, W2 Sussex Gardens is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Sussex Gardens, W2
Sussex Place, W2 Sussex Place is a street in Paddington (Paddington)
Sussex Place, W2
Sussex Square, W2 Sussex Square is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Sussex Square, W2
Swinton House, W2 Swinton House is a block on Gloucester Terrace
Swinton House, W2
Talbot Square, W2 Talbot Square was laid out in 1842 on the site of the former Lower Reservoir of the Grand Junction Canal Company (Paddington)
Talbot Square, W2
Tenby House, W2 Tenby House is a block on Cleveland Gardens (Paddington)
Tenby House, W2
The Battleship Building, W2 The Battleship Building is a block on Harrow Road (Little Venice)
The Battleship Building, W2
The Quadrangle Tower, W2 The Quadrangle Tower can be found on Cambridge Square (Paddington)
The Quadrangle Tower, W2
The Water Gardens, W2 The Water Gardens is a block in front of an open space of the same name (Paddington)
The Water Gardens, W2
Thyateira House, W2 Thyateira House is a block on Craven Hill
Thyateira House, W2
Tournament House, W2 Tournament House is a block on Praed Street (Paddington)
Tournament House, W2
Trinity Court, W2 Trinity Court is a block on Gloucester Terrace (Paddington)
Trinity Court, W2
Upbrook Mews, W2 Upbrook Mews is built on top of the former Westbourne River (Paddington)
Upbrook Mews, W2
Warwick Crescent, W2 Warwick Crescent lies along a southern edge of the Little Venice Pool (Little Venice)
Warwick Crescent, W2
Waterside House, W2 Waterside House is sited on North Wharf Road (Paddington)
Waterside House, W2
Westbourne Court, W2 Westbourne Court stood at the corner of Orsett Terrace and Westbourne Terrace by 1938 (Paddington)
Westbourne Court, W2
Westbourne Terrace Mews, W2 Westbourne Terrace Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Westbourne Terrace Mews, W2
Westbourne Terrace Road, W2 Westbourne Terrace Road is a street located in Little Venice that connects Blomfield Road in the north and Westbourne Bridge in the south. (Little Venice)
Westbourne Terrace Road, W2
Westbourne Terrace, W2 Westbourne Terrace was an idea of George Gutch the builder (Paddington)
Westbourne Terrace, W2
Westcliffe Apartments, W2 Westcliffe Apartments is located on South Wharf Road (Paddington)
Westcliffe Apartments, W2
Westway, W2 At its opening, Westway was the largest continuous concrete structure in Britain (Little Venice)
Westway, W2
Wilson House, W2 Wilson House is a block (Paddington)
Wilson House, W2
Winsland Street, W2 Winsland Street is a road in the W2 postcode area (Paddington)
Winsland Street, W2
Worcester House, W2 Worcester House is a block on Unnamed Road (Paddington)
Worcester House, W2

Fountains Abbey The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals.
Fountains Abbey

Click here to explore another London street
We now have 663 completed street histories and 46837 partial histories

Click here to see photos of the area

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy