in this postcode covers the south side of the Green.
Appearing in the Domesday Survey of 1086, it then formed part of the demesne of St Paul’s Cathedral. In the 13th century, The then ’Newton’ became split between Newington Green
and to its north Stoke Newington
, and to its east Newington Barrow (later called Highbury).
Originally the main was agriculture - latterly growing hay for nearby London. The name Newington Green
was first mentioned in 1480 and was fringed by cottages, homesteads and crofts on the three ’Islington’ sides.
In the 16th century, the area became connected to the court of Henry VIII - the king used a house on the south side of the Green as a base for hunting bulls, stags and boar which roamed the surrounding forest.
In 1535, Thomas Cromwell took up residence at Canonbury Tower to the south. From there he organised the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
Several streets in the area took their name from the Tudor period: King Henry’s Walk, Boleyn Road
(formerly Ann Boleyn’s Walk), Wolsey Road
and Queen Elizabeth’s Walk.