The name "West Hampstead" was a 19th century invention - the original name was West End.
The West Hampstead Synagogue was consecrated in September 1892.
In the late 1870s, the Jewish population of Hampstead began to increase, following the movement of Jews first westward to the West End and Bayswater, and then northwards to St. John's Wood and Hampstead.
A movement was founded to create a new Synagogue in the West Hampstead area. It was their intention to create a Synagogue which would not follow the traditional service currently held in other United Synagogues.
This however contradicted the views of the leading activist, Herbert Bentwich. On 30 May 1889, Bentwich called a meeting in West Hampstead Town Hall. Those attending consisted of members from three congregational bodies: The United Synagogue, The Spanish and Portuguese Synagogues and the Berkeley Street Reform Synagogue. Their intention was to create a Synagogue which would be somewhere between Orthodoxy and Reform.
Herbert Bentwich's brother-in-law, Delissa Joseph, was commissioned as the architect. The original plan was to have the frontage on West End Lane
, but the Chief Rabbi, Herman Adler, insisted that the Ark should be in the eastern or south-eastern side of the Synagogue. The chairman, Frank I. Lyons, suggested rotating the building, and so the frontage was built in Dennington Park Road
On 13 March 1892, the foundation stone was laid. In September 1892, the Synagogue held a consecration ceremony.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
User unknown/public domain
Lacking its own supply of spring water and situated away from the main roads, medieval West End barely qualified as a hamlet until a few country houses were built here from the 17th century onwards. The tendency for West End Lane
to become impassably muddy after heavy rain further enhanced the hamlet's isolation.
By 1815 West End was still exceptionally quiet – so much so that its inhabitants claimed to have heard the cannon fire at Waterloo. The construction of the Finchley Road
in the 1830s brought few additions to a population that consisted of a handful of squires and some farm labourers, gardeners and craftsmen. By 1851 West End had one inn and two beershops.
Railways were the prime stimulus of growth in many country corners of modern London but few places were transformed as wholly as West End. With the arrival of the Hampstead Junction Railway in 1857, the Midland Railway in 1868 and the Metropolitan and St John’s Wood Railway in 1879, the new suburb of West Hampstead spread in all directions.
Rapid development in the 1880s and 1890s swept away the large houses and the streets were laid out in today's pattern. A local estate agent in Kilburn claimed that he coined the name ‘West Hampstead’, for one of the local railway stations. Public amenities such as street lighting, gas and electricity were provided and much of the frontage to West End Lane
was developed as shops.
Some of the new estates were the work of big developers like the United Land Company, whose inclination was to build fairly densely, and during the latter decades of the 19th century parts of West Hampstead became increasingly working-class in character, with policeman, travelling salesmen and railwaymen mixing with clerks and artisans. Engineering workshops operated near the railway lines.
Twentieth-century building was limited mainly to interwar blocks of flats in the north of the district, often in place of Victorian houses that had already become run-down.
The West Hampstead ward now has relatively few families and a great number of young single people. A large proportion of homes are privately rented and fewer than a quarter of adults are married, compared with more than half for the country as a whole. This socio-economic profile is evident in the upmarket cafés that have lined West End Lane
in recent years.
Famous West Hampstead residents have included the singers Dusty Springfield, Joan Armatrading, Olivia Newton John and Jimmy Somerville, author Doris Lessing, actresses Imelda Staunton and Emma Thompson, and the playwright Joe Orton, who lived on West End Lane
with his lover Kenneth Halliwell from 1951 to 1959. Stephen Fry has also lived here.