Coventry Street is a short street connecting Piccadilly Circus to Leicester Square. On the London Monopoly board, it was named after the politician Henry Coventry, secretary of state to Charles II.
No addresses have so far been added to Coventry Street, W1D You can add one by clicking here.
There is historical evidence of a road linking Haymarket with Wardour Street in 1585, roughly in the present location of Coventry Street. This pre-dated Leicester Square, and ran as far as St. Martin’s Field, stopping short of St. Martin’s Lane.
Coventry Street was constructed in 1681 as a thoroughfare between the two places. Henry Coventry had previously built a house in this location, and renamed it Coventry House in 1670. The house was described as "a capital messuage with divers outhouses, Gardens, Yards. … capable of being greatly improved." Coventry died in 1686 and the house was demolished four years later, to be replaced by a group of smaller houses. The land to the north of the street was partly owned by Colonel Thomas Panton, and partly by the Earl of St Albans. John Ogilby’s 1681 map of London shows Coventry Street built up on both sides.
The street had been designed for commercial and entertainment purposes, rather than a place of residence. For much of the 18th and early 19th century, there were a number of gambling houses along the street, contributing to a shady and downmarket character. The historian J.T.Smith remarked in 1846 that Coventry Street had "a considerable number of gaming-houses in the neighbourhood at the present time, so that the bad character of the place is at least two centuries old, or ever since it was built upon".
The Trocadero sits in the area between Coventry Street, Great Windmill Street and Shaftesbury Avenue, with the main entrance on Coventry Street. The origins of the site can be traced back to 1744, when John Cartwright gave a 99-year lease on this land to Thomas Higginson, in order to construct a real tennis court. Higginson retained ownership of the court until 1761, after which it had a number of owners through to the 19th century. From the 1820s onwards, it was used as a music and exhibition hall. After the lease expired in 1842, ownership passed to John Musgrove, who sublet it to Robert Bignel. Bignel redesigned the premises as a number of assembly rooms called the Argyll Rooms. It acquired a notorious reputation for prostitution, and consequently closed in 1878. It re-opened four years later as the Trocadero Palace, a music hall. A group of shops were established on the site in 1889, and the entire development was sold to J. Lyon’s & Co in 1895. Having been part of the Lyons restaurant complex and shops for much of the 20th century, it is now a shopping centre.
Wishart’s tobacco makers was established on Coventry Street in 1720. The family business survived through to the following century. The goldsmiths and jewellers Lamberts were established at Nos. 10–12 Coventry Street in 1803.
Coventry Street was mostly made up of retail properties by the 19th century. In 1835, an exhibition named the "Parisian infernal machine" was set up on Coventry Street, that depicted a murderer attempting to assassinate the French Royal Family. During 1851, a French wizard known as Robin performed in a building on Coventry Street. Coventry Street was widened between 1877 and 1881 by reducing the frontage to properties on the southern side, as part of general traffic improvements in the area that also saw widening of Charing Cross Road and Shaftesbury Avenue.
The London Pavilion was at the corner of Coventry Street with Piccadilly Circus and Shaftesbury Avenue. It was established in 1861 as an extension to the Black Horse Inn, hosting music hall events. It was demolished in 1885 and rebuilt and reopened by Edmund Villiers, becoming a theatre in 1918. It subsequently became a cinema, closing in 1982. The site is now part of the Trocadero Shopping Centre.
Charles Hirsch, a bookseller, sold French literature and pornography from his shop "Librairie Parisienne" in Coventry Street in the late 19th century. Hirsch was friends with Oscar Wilde and claimed to have sold him various items of homosexual pornography.
The Prince Of Wales Theatre opened in 1884 on Coventry Street. It was built for and financed by actor-manager Edgar Bruce from profits made at the Scala Theatre. The Private Secretary, written by Charles Hawtrey, was first performed here. Throughout the 20th century it mainly performed musicals and revues, with occasional ventures into farce. The theatre was rebuilt in 1937, and again between 2003–4 at a cost of £7.5 million. It can now accommodate 1,133 patrons.
The first J. Lyons and Co. Corner House was built on Coventry Street in 1907, on the west corner with Rupert Street. It was one of the first buildings in London to have a white-glazed terracotta exterior. In 1920, the former premises of Lamberts at Nos. 10–12 were demolished in order to accommodate an extension that could accommodate up to 3,000 diners.
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location. Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 18 Aug 2017 19:40 GMT
Expires: 1 Sep 2017 19:40 GMT
Post by LDNnews: Euston Sir Michael Fallon apologises to mother of soldier killed by Iraq roadside blast Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has apologised personally to the mother of a British soldier killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq while riding in a lightly armoured Snatch Land Rover.
Post by LDNnews: Embankment Big Ben maintenance man slams plans to silence clock for four years as 'nonsense' The clockmaker once responsible for maintaining Big Ben has slammed plans to silence the bell for four years as "nonsense".
Post by LDNnews: Covent Garden Reward offered to find the person who brutally assaulted and strangled a pensioner with her own dog lead Reward offered to find the person who brutally assaulted and strangled a pensioner with her own dog lead
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to Chelsea, Thomas Lemar to Arsenal: The most likely London Premier League transfer arrivals Tottenham are closing in on the signing of Davinson Sanchez and Mauricio Pochettino is setting his sights on further deals.
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park Harry Kane vs Alvaro Morata: The stats behind the rise of the star strikers Harry Kane and Alvaro Morata will lead their respective clubs' front lines when Tottenham host Chelsea on Sunday, with much attention bound to be on the two strikers at Wembley.
Post by LDNnews: Bond Street The ’Croydon cat killer’ is feared to have struck again after a maimed cat was found dead in a garden
The so-called Croydon cat killer is feared to have struck again after the maimed body of a pet cat was found in a Shortlands garden.
Post by LDNnews: Russell Square
Holly Willoughby and Philip Schofield do shots in Portugal
The pair giggled as they nursed large glasses of wine and partied with fellow ITV stars, The Chase’s Bradley Walsh and Dragon’s Den star Peter Jones.
Post by LDNnews: Embankment Theresa May warned against 'shooting off foot' with Brexit immigration system Former Cabinet minister Lord Hague today warned Theresa May against "shooting your foot off" by ditching a liberal immigration system.
Post by LDNnews: Covent Garden ’I heard screaming’ - 15-year-old boy in critical condition after being stabbed in the stomach in Woolwich
A 15-year-old boy is in hospital fighting for his life after being stabbed in the stomach in an estate in Woolwich.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross Chelsea's Eden Hazard not expected to join up with Belgium squad during the international break Chelsea star Eden Hazard is unlikely to be ready to report for international duty with Belgium next month.
Post by LDNnews: St. Jamess Park Usain Bolt denied dream Manchester United appearance as hamstring injury takes its toll Usain Bolt will be prevented from achieving his lifelong dream of playing for Manchester United by the hamstring injury sustained in his farewell race.
Post by LDNnews: Bond Street Live: A-Level results day - let us know how you did!
Students across the country are on tenterhooks as they finally get their A-Level results after spending a whole summer waiting for them. Know someone who did exceptionally well who deserves some recognition? Let us know by e-mailing email@example.com or call, text or WhatsApp 07795 223 610.
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
Olivia Attwood reveals she and Chris Hughes have moved in
Speaking exclusively to MailOnline, the beauty admitted Chris has been staying at hers ever since the series finale in July, and are ’more in love than ever’
Soho is a world-famous area of the City of Westminster and part of the West End of London.
The name "Soho" first appears in the 17th century. Most authorities believe that the name derives from a former hunting cry. James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth, used "soho" as a rallying call for his men at the Battle of Sedgemoor on 6 July 1685, half a century after the name was first used for this area of London. The Soho name has been imitated by other entertainment and restaurant districts such as Soho, Hong Kong; Soho, Málaga; SOHO, Beijing; SoHo (South of Horton), London, Ontario, Canada; and Palermo Soho, Buenos Aires. SoHo, Manhattan, gets its name from its location SOuth of HOuston Street, but is also a reference to London’s Soho.
Long established as an entertainment district, for much of the 20th century Soho had a reputation as a base for the sex industry in addition to its night life and its location for the headquarters of leading film companies. Since the 1980s, the area has undergone considerable gentrification. It is now predominantly a fashionable district of upmarket restaurants and media offices, with only a small remnant of sex industry venues.
Soho is a small, multicultural area of central London; a home to industry, commerce, culture and entertainment, as well as a residential area for both rich and poor. It has clubs, including the former Chinawhite nightclub; public houses; bars; restaurants; a few sex shops scattered amongst them; and late-night coffee shops that give the streets an "open-all-night" feel at the weekends. Record shops cluster in the area around Berwick Street, with shops such as Phonica, Sister Ray and Reckless Records.
LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Leicester Square: Leicester Square is a pedestrianised square in the West End of London. Piccadilly Circus: Piccadilly Circus was built in 1819 to connect Regent Street with the major shopping street of Piccadilly. The circus lost its circular form in 1886 with the construction of Shaftesbury Avenue. Piccadilly Theatre: The Piccadilly Theatre is an Art Deco masterpiece in the West End. Royal Society: The Royal Society is a self-governing Fellowship of many of the world’s most distinguished scientists drawn from all areas of science, engineering, and medicine. Royal Society: The Royal Society is a self-governing Fellowship of many of the world’s most distinguished scientists drawn from all areas of science, engineering, and medicine. Soho: Soho is a world-famous area of the City of Westminster and part of the West End of London. St Giles: St Giles is a district of London, at the southern tip of the London Borough of Camden. St James’s: St James’s is an exclusive area in the West End of London. Wyld’s Great Globe: Wyld’s Great Globe was an attraction situated in Leicester Square between 1851 and 1862.
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches.
Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.